Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 04:55 AM   #21
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
That area of ft Myers is very nice .As already mentioned the traffic from that park is a nightmare. In Jan threw March it backs up several miles before the bridge.my cousin lives at the foot of the bridge and they stay home most of the time jan.to mar.We usually walk over the bridge to avoid traffic and parking issues.
Ya the traffic thing sounds like a bit of a bummer. It may make things a little inconvenient.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
ken56

On the bright side Harley, Traffic is time of day specific...but all the snowbirds had not arrived there as yet, but they're coming. We left thismorning from Siesta Bay and south bound 75 was heavy with many RV's and motorhomes. North bound was light traffic until I hit the Tampa area. The light at Buttonwood is your friend for going to Trico seafood market and the restaurants on the same road. Should you be inclined to go to Key West there is the Key West Express ferry right there too. 125 per person round trip. Takes about 3.5 hours to get there...I did not go, too pricey for me to justify it.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
On the bright side Harley, Traffic is time of day specific...but all the snowbirds had not arrived there as yet, but they're coming. We left thismorning from Siesta Bay and south bound 75 was heavy with many RV's and motorhomes. North bound was light traffic until I hit the Tampa area. The light at Buttonwood is your friend for going to Trico seafood market and the restaurants on the same road. Should you be inclined to go to Key West there is the Key West Express ferry right there too. 125 per person round trip. Takes about 3.5 hours to get there...I did not go, too pricey for me to justify it.
Thanks for the update Ken. Safe travels.
I did notice that ferry to the Keys and will likely make a trip out of it at some point.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #24
Harleydodge

Update:

We are starting to book places/sites now.

As has been mentioned around the community, we are finding that booking early is definitely recommended whenever possible.

We Decided to opt out of Taledega this year, as we are going to return to Michigan for the August race with friends.

As such, we will officially begin our "retirement inaugural trip" in October (2018) with stays in Myrtle Beach at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park for 2 weeks, which is beachside and quite "commercial" looking.

From there we move to Hilton Head Harbor RV resort and Marina, which will be a little more "upscale" from the looks of it. 2 weeks there as well.

From there we will store the RV and drive back home.
We are as yet undecided as to whether we will stay home until after Christmas or not. In any case, we will once again drive south, picking up the RV and head to FLA
for 2 or 3 months. We are still considering San Carlos RV Park, but now also considering Riverside RV Resort and CG on a recommendation from a friend.
We will visit each place in person next Month, as we will be flying down to see Mom, and will make a decision then.

We have the Month of March (2019) Booked at Jamaica Beach RV Park on Galveston Island.

April 2019 will be split between (likely) a week in Nashville, where we are considering Two Rivers RV Park and the remainder (likely) at Anchor Down RV resort near Dandridge, Tn. (From recommendations and reviews read here in these Forums!)

Then home again to "re-group"

Hope to meet some of you good folks down the road someplace

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #25
ken56

Sounds like you have it well under control. I can tell you first hand that Hilton Head Harbor is really nice. You will love it.

We have stayed at the park right next to Two Rivers in Nashville and again, you will be happy with your choice. Its not fancy like Hilton Head but its nice.

I live not far from Anchor Down and its on the scale of Hilton Head. VERY NICE with a beautiful view over Douglas Lake and the Smoky Mountains. Its not terribly far from the action in Pigeon Forge but it IS nice and quiet and peaceful.

We have also stayed on the Bolivar Peninsula in the Galveston area. Can't chime in on Jamaica Beach but the area is nice. I can tell you to go to Gaido's Seafood Restaurant for a fantastic dinner while you are there. We loved it.

I hope this added some peace of mind on your choices.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Update:

We are starting to book places/sites now.

As has been mentioned around the community, we are finding that booking early is definitely recommended whenever possible.

We Decided to opt out of Taledega this year, as we are going to return to Michigan for the August race with friends.

As such, we will officially begin our "retirement inaugural trip" in October (2018) with stays in Myrtle Beach at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park for 2 weeks, which is beachside and quite "commercial" looking.

From there we move to Hilton Head Harbor RV resort and Marina, which will be a little more "upscale" from the looks of it. 2 weeks there as well.

From there we will store the RV and drive back home.
We are as yet undecided as to whether we will stay home until after Christmas or not. In any case, we will once again drive south, picking up the RV and head to FLA
for 2 or 3 months. We are still considering San Carlos RV Park, but now also considering Riverside RV Resort and CG on a recommendation from a friend.
We will visit each place in person next Month, as we will be flying down to see Mom, and will make a decision then.

We have the Month of March (2019) Booked at Jamaica Beach RV Park on Galveston Island.

April 2019 will be split between (likely) a week in Nashville, where we are considering Two Rivers RV Park and the remainder (likely) at Anchor Down RV resort near Dandridge, Tn. (From recommendations and reviews read here in these Forums!)

Then home again to "re-group"

Hope to meet some of you good folks down the road someplace

I will 2nd the recommendation for Gaidos in Galveston. They make good food. One of my favorites, albeit rather "commercial" I guess, is the Rainforest. We always stay at the San Luis resort and you can watch the volcano erupt and roar from the balcony. Inside the grandkids love the animals (as do I), thunder and rain. Corny? A little I guess. Fun? Absolutely (to me).

At Hilton Head you might stop by Barnacle Bill's to get some fresh fish if you like to cook your own. First place I had ever got fresh wahoo. Figured it would be like the king mackerel, and it was pretty much, but I think it might have been a tad better (and we like kingfish).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #27
Harleydodge

Quote:
Sounds like you have it well under control. I can tell you first hand that Hilton Head Harbor is really nice. You will love it.

We have stayed at the park right next to Two Rivers in Nashville and again, you will be happy with your choice. Its not fancy like Hilton Head but its nice.

I live not far from Anchor Down and its on the scale of Hilton Head. VERY NICE with a beautiful view over Douglas Lake and the Smoky Mountains. Its not terribly far from the action in Pigeon Forge but it IS nice and quiet and peaceful.

We have also stayed on the Bolivar Peninsula in the Galveston area. Can't chime in on Jamaica Beach but the area is nice. I can tell you to go to Gaido's Seafood Restaurant for a fantastic dinner while you are there. We loved it.

I hope this added some peace of mind on your choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will 2nd the recommendation for Gaidos in Galveston. They make good food. One of my favorites, albeit rather "commercial" I guess, is the Rainforest. We always stay at the San Luis resort and you can watch the volcano erupt and roar from the balcony. Inside the grandkids love the animals (as do I), thunder and rain. Corny? A little I guess. Fun? Absolutely (to me).

At Hilton Head you might stop by Barnacle Bill's to get some fresh fish if you like to cook your own. First place I had ever got fresh wahoo. Figured it would be like the king mackerel, and it was pretty much, but I think it might have been a tad better (and we like kingfish).
Thanks to both of you for the reassurances and recommendations.
We will try Gaidos for sure and look up Barnacle Bills.
Yes, absolutely, hearing positive things about our choices does ease our minds, as we are so new to all of this. Thanks again.

The most interesting thing I have found so far is the many different ways that parks take reservations.
For instance, Myrtle Beach travel park would not guarantee us a particular site, but did let us book a "preferred area", so that we know we will be on on of 8 sites in an area we picked.
At Hilton head we could not choose a site at all, but were told we would be driven around in a golf cart when we arrive and could pick wherever we wanted that was open.
Jamaica Beach let us choose the exact site we wanted.
I didn't realize it would differ so much from place to place.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #28
ken56

Just a point of information on Hilton Head Harbor RV Park. Those sites are privately owned and the park manages the rental, thus the drive you around so you can choose your own site lest they be accused of playing favorites with the owners. Now you know.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #29
Harleydodge

Quote:
Just a point of information on Hilton Head Harbor RV Park. Those sites are privately owned and the park manages the rental, thus the drive you around so you can choose your own site lest they be accused of playing favorites with the owners. Now you know.
Aha! That makes sense..

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Additionally, if an owner "expects to be away for 3 months" and management reserves his site, should he return to use the site during the reserved time frame, it can cause problems. So, it's "safer for everyone" to just not reserve specific sites, that way there's not an issue where the owner wants to kick someone off a site or someone who reserves a site isn't "miffed" when the owner returns and the sit is occupied when he arrives.....

Ain't dealing with people "exciting" ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
Harleydodge

Well....here we sit at my Mom's place in FL.
We have had some time to check out a few places in person and let me say....wow!
I'm glad we did.
We found a few new places on the Atlantic side of Florida that looked OK.

We visited San Carlos RV park on the Gulf Coast today and were we ever glad we didn't book that place unseen.
There is absolutely NO WAY we would could ever manoeuvre in that tiny park. I have no idea how any of the units in there ever got where they are, and the sites are so cramped most of the RVS could not even open their awenings all the way.
Not for us.

We also saw Riverside, and that place would so far be our first choice.
Sites were HUGE in the newer part.

Mostly we are surprised at what a "lottery" it will be to try and get ANY site for 2 months next year in south Central Florida. It's crazy busy and EVERYWHERE is full.
I hope we will get something decent but now realize we won't necessarily get our 1st Choice of parks, much less sites.
It's been a real eye opener to be down here in high season.

I will keep this thread updated once we finally (hopefully ) get something booked.

2008 FLHTC Harley.