Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Sandy Swede

Brake controller question

We are relative newbies to towing our TT. The RV dealer initialized the brake controller settings and installed the Reese WD hitch. When slowing to a stop using the TV brakes, say less than 10 mph, the trailer brakes lock up and the tires skid. I can use the slider to engage the trailer brakes alone to avoid the lock up, but that doesn't seem optimal. The instructions for the brake controller advise that you should "slightly reduce power by adjusting the power knob." If I do that, do I run the risk of backing off too much and overtax the TV brakes? With the current setting, would my TT brakes be locking up without me being aware at higher speeds, which of course, would not be good either?

Thank you for whatever wisdom and experience you may choose to share.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
Dcsdiver

Sandy,

The instructions are correct. Based on your experience of locking up the TT brakes at such low speeds is indicative of the brake controller sensitivity set too high. I would suggest lowering the power/sensitivity of the brake controller in small minute increments until you don't get TT wheel lockup when braking.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Javi

Generally the controller is adjusted by applying the slide bar on the controller only; at a speed of about 5 mph. If the trailer brakes lock when the slide is activated then back off on the controller adjustment one notch and repeat until the brakes do not lock but stop the trailer and tow vehicle easily at 5-10 mph.

The trailer brakes should never lock with the application of the tow vehicle's brake pedal.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Tell us what controller you have. I found mine has a boost function after owning/towing for awhile. I tried the all levels and about lost my teeth on the steering wheel at highest level.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Sandy Swede

brake controller model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Tell us what controller you have. I found mine has a boost function after owning/towing for awhile. I tried the all levels and about lost my teeth on the steering wheel at highest level.
It is a Tekonsha Primus IQ
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
smokeyfl

It will take some adjustment to get it just right. The setting will also need to be readjusted depending on the trailer weight. An empty trailer's brakes will lock up quicker than a loaded trailer. The dealer should have given you the instructions for the controller.
Harley Ultra Classic

smokeyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

This is a little late and I hope you have your controller set. I have the Primus IQ and the above recommendations are right. I believe the instructions say to pull the trailer up to about 20-25 mph and push the manual bar until the tires lock and then back it (the adjustment wheel) down so that the tires will not lock up. You need to do this if you reload/unload etc. because your weight changes. You also have the b1, b2 settings for an initial boost when braking. I use b1 as anything above that really gives you a jolt when you first hit the brakes. Hope that helps.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #8
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is a little late and I hope you have your controller set. I have the Primus IQ and the above recommendations are right. I believe the instructions say to pull the trailer up to about 20-25 mph and push the manual bar until the tires lock and then back it (the adjustment wheel) down so that the tires will not lock up. You need to do this if you reload/unload etc. because your weight changes. You also have the b1, b2 settings for an initial boost when braking. I use b1 as anything above that really gives you a jolt when you first hit the brakes. Hope that helps.
Hi sourdough, I have the Primus IQ as well and being new to RVing and pulling trailers I am haviing some doubts about setting the gain. I was told to set it to 6 by the dealer and adjust it, but to be honest, I can't seem to feel if the trailer is skidding. I currently have it set to 9 on the gain and the trailer stops when I use the manual bar, but I can't help but feel that I am wrong. Is there a way to tell if you are skidding?
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblhack View Post
Hi sourdough, I have the Primus IQ as well and being new to RVing and pulling trailers I am haviing some doubts about setting the gain. I was told to set it to 6 by the dealer and adjust it, but to be honest, I can't seem to feel if the trailer is skidding. I currently have it set to 9 on the gain and the trailer stops when I use the manual bar, but I can't help but feel that I am wrong. Is there a way to tell if you are skidding?
Look in your mirrors. Smoke at the trailer tires = locking up. No smoke = not locking up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Look in your mirrors. Smoke at the trailer tires = locking up. No smoke = not locking up.
The tires will smoke if you get to 20mph?

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The tires will smoke if you get to 20mph?
Any time a wheel loks up and you drag the rubber tread across asphalt or concrete youll burn the rubber. Obviously not as much as at hogher speed. ZIf you roll down the windows you should hear the tires as well. If your still unsure go to a large parking lot and test then get out and see if there are black tire marks on the pavement.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Any time a wheel loks up and you drag the rubber tread across asphalt or concrete youll burn the rubber. Obviously not as much as at hogher speed. ZIf you roll down the windows you should hear the tires as well. If your still unsure go to a large parking lot and test then get out and see if there are black tire marks on the pavement.
Good idea. I can have my wife outside and she can watch.

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
rjrelander

Quote:
Good idea. I can have my wife outside and she can watch.
Also, if she is in the TV with you, make sure to warn her before doing brake tests.

Not that anyone ever forgot to do that ... just sayin' ...

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote