Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
ozzie65

Theft

Hello everyone
I have a quick question! With all the modifications and changes everyone makes on there trailers, I see everyone locking there stuff up and making sure it's battoned down so no one cane get to it. Maybe I'm nieve but I have been camping for 25 + years and in the early years in tents and popups and I have never had some one take or steal something from my site. Campers seem to respect other campers stuff. I have nothing but good things to say about the people I have met out on the road. Has any one out there actually had stuff taken?
ozzie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
GaryWT

I think most lock things up for when the trailer is in storage, some places your trailer is just out in a storage yard and people can get to it so they lock things up. I always feel safe where I camp and only lock the doors if I am leaving the campground. I have a friend that locks his trailer whenever he leaves his site even if it is to go to the next site. To each his own. I too have not had anything stolen.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
dandjh1958

We were at several camp sites over the past year and we saw at least one couple who lock and unlock all doors to their trailer anytime they left the site. So in a day, we watched them lock and unlock all the doors at least 5-6 times.
Then usually on the other side, we saw at least one couple who had everything out in the open and never locked or even closed their doors while they left the site.
We just usually lock up if I am leaving for the day and coming home at night. Things I really don't want to walk away stay with me in our tow vehicle (cells, laptops, tablets etc).
I've even left our tailgater satellite dish out on the picnic table for weeks with only a chain and lock. I don't think people target campers much..... maybe teens looking for beer at times....
Happy camping!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
BobnLee

We have never had to lock anything up (yet) and have not had any problems.
Usually stay in Florida just outside Tampa and never locked the trailer dont think we even closed the outside door. We had to search high and low for our house key when we needed to give it to a friend who was staying at our place for a week when we went to the Dominican. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to matter how hard it is to prevent theft, if its going to happen then it will. I guess we have been very fortunate. Cant see us locking up the tanks,batteries or anything else. I will just loose the key and just get frustrated.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I never have had any theft and I do not leave genny or fuel etc out that could be seen from the road. I had to take all reports of theft, and other crimes from several of the state parks and rest areas (all near PDX). It does happen. I think the closer to a big city you are, you will see the most problems do to the druggies.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
Wing-in-it

I've been at a state park here in VA and a camper broke into the camp store to retrieve some extra camping funds.....It didn't work out to well for them....

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
crash

We always lock ours up due to our english bulldog Rebel those dogs are at the top of a thieves list because of the price and the money they can be sold for.We paid $4,800 for him and no amount of money could replace him,and our boarder collie Cocoa has a mind of her own she will haul butt if she got a chance
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Outbackmel

Locking and unlocking

We were in a five star park for a month recently. The whole section we were in was under new construction. Dozens of workers all over the place. Remote RV wash crews in and out, etc....
Makes sense to lock your door. Why not?
The great news for rv's is you have to pry a door open or pick that "very expensive" , "complicated" door lock!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Andymon

We were at Port of Brooking RV park over Christmas and had our Coleman camp stove taken. Other campers had some stuff taken also. Police think it might have been some folks from Crescent City. They drive through a couple of time scouting things out and then come back lat at night. Fortunately I found the exact same stove on ebay. Still...it was a bummer to know that someone just walked right up to the side of the trailer and stole something.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
gsmith31

battery stolen

I had two battery's stolen 2 years ago, tt was in back drive when this happened. last year they tried to take the hole camper, do to the battery taken out, from last thief. they could not run the electric jack to hook it up. they left my house ,went down the street and took another camper, in broad day late.
gsmith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
cabinfever

To tell the truth. If they stole our entire camper that would suck, but with our insurance policy I would only be upset for a short while. Time to start shopping for a new RV! WooHoo....LOL

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
AlpineOppa

Been camping all my life and trailer camping for past 6 yrs. I usually lock the camper door when we leave for the day because it makes us "feel safer" - even though I know that it's very likely that everyone in Keystone campers in the campground has the same generic keys that I do. Never have had anything stolen from inside or outside the camper (and although I keep a tidy campsite, I do leave a lot of stuff outside).
It's just left up to one's comfort level.

2008 Ford 350 6.4 Diesel Fx4
2009 Keystone Montana 2955
Currently
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummings Diesel 4x4 long bed srw
2014 Keystone Alpine 3010 RE
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
Western Traveler

Never had anything stolen from camp but my friends and I caught a van full of thieves in our remote campsite once. Their eyes grew very large staring down the barrels of three guns. They chose to leave the camp at our urging (We were hours from communication with the outside world out on this two track).
Recently I and about 6 other rigs had our batteries stolen out of a gated storage area in a senior park. They left the most Basically locked ones alone.
There have been generator thefts in So Cal and Southern Arizona recently right out of campsites at night. Thieves are brazen enough to cut the handle on the Honda generators that were locked down.
Sad to say we are now taking basic precautions when away from our rig including a tongue lock. Still not going overboard worrying about our basic equipment, we leave it out all the time.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
mom2budnbug

I caught someone eyeing our generator that was just inside the garage. I am sure it would have been gone if I had not walked out with the dog. DH is looking at ways to keep it from being stolen when out camping.
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Teamster81

My brother in law and a couple friends were out fishing most of the day and returned to their campsite to find their cooler full of beer and chairs were in the next campsite. They were being used by a bunch of young men who denied stealing them and claimed they were their own. My brother in law is a lot more even tempered than me. He reported it to the host but still came home without their possessions
Teamster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
homer3

America is not the country it once was. I can remember as a boy when camping in Yosemite, as a family we would go down to the valley for the day. Instead having to worry about what the neighbors were going to steal, we would come back to having dinner ready for us prepared by our neighbors. WOW - have things changed.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #17
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster81 View Post
My brother in law and a couple friends were out fishing most of the day and returned to their campsite to find their cooler full of beer and chairs were in the next campsite. They were being used by a bunch of young men who denied stealing them and claimed they were their own. My brother in law is a lot more even tempered than me. He reported it to the host but still came home without their possessions
Wow, just wow. Talk about nerve...

I felt like my father was just being neurotic when he put last name on his water hoses, etc., but apparently not.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

If the park host won't help, phone the police. Stealing is a crime in every campground just as at home. No mention were the camp is but, here there are state police, sheriff deputies and armed federal law inforcement rangers in the national forests and BLM lands.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Phil76

Makes me sad to think that people would target such a family oriented activity. Not just your country, we had someone drive up to a campsite with a truck, hook it up and drive away. The owners came back to find it missing! Just awful. We lock bikes, BBQ, other expensive and easily moved things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
ozzie65

Thank you everybody with your replies. I would be real upset if someone took my cooler full of beer. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
Thank you
ozzie65 is offline   Reply With Quote