Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #41
2014Fuzion300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
It's only a materialistic possession, it's not like it's your first born!

If I was so worried about someone borrowing something and breaking it by mistake I think I would spend a few bucks on a front gate and razor wire around my property.

Things happen in life and worrying about possessions would make me grow old fast!

I don't worry, but I can't afford to replace it either..... so NO borrowing !!
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It's only a materialistic possession, it's not like it's your first born!
If I was so worried about someone borrowing something and breaking it by mistake I think I would spend a few bucks on a front gate and razor wire around my property.
Things happen in life and worrying about possessions would make me grow old fast!
Hey Gang,

We just found out where to borrow stuff

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hey Gang,

We just found out where to borrow stuff
Yep, if you're an upstanding neighbor that has a job, family and credibility with the community I would have no problem.
I lived on Saturna Island for yrs, no cops, lawyers or low lives. I could come home from fishing and my truck would be gone. Later that day it would be returned with a case of beer on the seat and I had no idea who borrowed it!
I have no enemies nor would I like any, I trust people.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Nowdays, it's more like: I came home from fishing, my truck was gone. A few days later, the cops found it with a case of empty beer cans in it, the motor was gone and there were allegations that it was used in a drug deal.... My how things have changed

My mother (I won't say where she lives) doesn't even know where the key to her front door is. It's an old skeleton key, and her logic is that there's a big glass window in the door, anybody that wanted in would break the glass and it's too expensive to replace, so I just leave the door unlocked so they won't break anything..... Ya know, so far (knock on wood) she's been lucky.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #45
Steve S

That's a smart way to be as I hear that if you get broken in to it takes some time to get a door fixed.
Oh here's one for you, my brother in-law was by today wanting to borrow a drill.
I lent it to him and in short I just priced a new one as I'll never see it again! lol
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #46
Al Sandoval

Heck no
Al Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #47
Jca3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Fuzion300 View Post
I don't worry, but I can't afford to replace it either..... so NO borrowing !!
That was exactly my thought and you beat me to it. Our fifth wheel is our get away. Yup it's a material possession but it means a whole lot more than just a material thing, it is a lifestyle that we may not be able to replace if wrecked.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #48
curlyfungirl

If your friend is so anxious to go rving, he can rent one and see how he likes it. Sounds like he is a bit on the cheap side not to mention not too concerned about your property. It was like when my mother's neighbor asked if her daughter could have an unchaperoned pool party at my mothers house! Are you kidding????
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #49
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, if you're an upstanding neighbor that has a job, family and credibility with the community I would have no problem.
I lived on Saturna Island for yrs, no cops, lawyers or low lives. I could come home from fishing and my truck would be gone. Later that day it would be returned with a case of beer on the seat and I had no idea who borrowed it!
I have no enemies nor would I like any, I trust people.
Steve -
But what you didn't mention is that if some "Saturna Low Life" should happen to steal your truck, he wouldn't get very far very fast. There is only 1 way off your island - by ferry - which runs, what, 5 or 6 times a day/night?

Dudly Do Right would have him behind bars in no time .

What idiot would steal anything from anyone living on Saturna?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
fred1609

I agree Saturna is a bit of an exceptional case....how much does it cost to get a TT of the Island? How are the cuts to service going to reduce trips to the Island.....I have friends on Mayne Isl and they don't lock the doors.....but to the East lies the reality of the big city.....where I doubt you would let your nameless neighbour borrow your gear.......lol
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #51
Steve S

I own a cabin on Mayne Island and with my last RV it cost me about $250.00 to get there which isn't too bad. The return trip is included in that price.
Thieves are on the islands to they just use boats and for the most part they're just kids and they always get caught.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #52
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Charge for 5th and truck (46 ft length overall) plus driver and passenger from Vancouver (mainland) to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) is almost $240 ONE WAY! And we have a "smaller" 5th wheel!! When ferry rates go up shortly, it will be close to $275 (No more FREE weekday fares for seniors).
Have something to eat and you are looking at $300 for a one way ticket. And "that isn't too bad" ???
Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #53
fred1609

That's why when I get off the Island in Aug I use the Black Ball or Washington State Ferrys which last year cost about $160 (52 foot total) where the BC ferry would have cost us $240 plus.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #54
PT RV`er

Great responses to the question. I am like a lot of you, I don`t feel comfortable lending out my possessions. After all I worked my butt off to be able to afford a few dream toys. My rig is definitely an item I thought I could never afford in my earlier days. But low and behold, a lot of hard work and patients and here I am. I don`t think a good friend would understand what really went into me being able to purchase a toy like this. So I have to agree with the majority, I think I`ll steer him in the direction of rental RV`s. That way if he wanted we could all go camping together. I knew there had to be a positive outcome in there somewhere.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
Western Traveler

Thanks for the morning laughter to tears with some of these responses!
I have an ex-friend that was always asking for favors that cost me money.

DW and I were recently discussing this very topic. We now have a few good answers for them.

Friends stay in our home a lot when we are not there, drive my truck if needed and my shop is open to my neighbors if they need tools, log splitter, generator, decoys or anything else in there whether I am around or not.

Our last TT was on a permanent space at the Colorado River and friends used it from time to time, a few had keys to it.

This however is the first new TT we have owned, a luxury item and outside of a couple of close friends that I would trust with it but would NEVER ask, no one but us for now.

We just came from several years of tent camping while working towards this new rig and think it is a great way for those that can't afford to rent or buy an RV to enjoy and experience the outdoors.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #56
zuley

A few years back, my boss who I have worked with for 30 years, asked my thoughts on where to take his family on a boating vacation. They had just purchased a trailerable boat. Being a boater in a past life I suggested an area where we previously boated and now camp at. He was interested and mentioned looking for B and B type accommodations. I suggested I would drag our camper up to the campground, spend the weekend until they arrived, and then head back the following Friday to start our vacation. Having just had a pop up at the time I really did not think they would take me up on my offer. The following day Mike came back to me and said his wife was interested to my surprise. Worked out great for us as it gave us an extra weekend camping and when we showed up the following Friday evening everything was set to go for us. We did this three years in a row with our pop up. I'm pretty anal as far as keeping my toys clean and in pristine condition. We would arrive the following Friday eve and the campsite would be raked, stacked with fire wood and the camper cleaner than when we left it (if that's possible) along with a gift certificate for our favorite restaurant. His kids do the tent thing and are only allowed in the camper to help with the dishes. This past summer we upgraded to a full size TT. I was perhaps a little apprehensive with them using it being somewhat unsure of all the workings of the camper myself. Everything worked out great and we are discussing this coming summer with them.
Having said all this I can't think of anyone else I would consider doing what we do with. It works out great for both of us.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #57
jje1960

Borrow

Nope. Just wondering who would ask such a thing. Now, offering is a different story, but to just come out and ask if you can 'borrow' something like a RV / RV-TV is kind of strange.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #58
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
A few years back, my boss who I have worked with for 30 years, asked my thoughts on where to take his family on a boating vacation. They had just purchased a trailerable boat. Being a boater in a past life I suggested an area where we previously boated and now camp at. He was interested and mentioned looking for B and B type accommodations. I suggested I would drag our camper up to the campground, spend the weekend until they arrived, and then head back the following Friday to start our vacation. Having just had a pop up at the time I really did not think they would take me up on my offer. The following day Mike came back to me and said his wife was interested to my surprise. Worked out great for us as it gave us an extra weekend camping and when we showed up the following Friday evening everything was set to go for us. We did this three years in a row with our pop up. I'm pretty anal as far as keeping my toys clean and in pristine condition. We would arrive the following Friday eve and the campsite would be raked, stacked with fire wood and the camper cleaner than when we left it (if that's possible) along with a gift certificate for our favorite restaurant. His kids do the tent thing and are only allowed in the camper to help with the dishes. This past summer we upgraded to a full size TT. I was perhaps a little apprehensive with them using it being somewhat unsure of all the workings of the camper myself. Everything worked out great and we are discussing this coming summer with them.
Having said all this I can't think of anyone else I would consider doing what we do with. It works out great for both of us.
Now if I had a friend like that, it might be a different answer. That's fantastic that they will do all that for you and your toys. They obviously enjoy it themselves and are willing to make sure they keep on your good side.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #59
fred1609

I think your friend is the exception and not the rule.....There are some people out there that will ask for things knowing that most folks won't, out of politeness, say no.....I think at the end of the day its a great way to put a friendship at risk.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #60
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Thanks again for lending this guy your generator for a week. Only needed it a few hours but it was nice to have when the DW left the light on in the basement. I normally don't like to borrow stuff but did take you up on your generous offer.

Now lets wish this snow away so we can go camping

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote