Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Circuit Panel Fan

I just returned from a week long camp trip and upon parking my rig (2017 Hideout 22KBSWE) and plugging in the power. Noticed that that the cooling fan behind the panel was running. This is the 1st time that I heard it ever to run. It appears to be running continually for the past 24 hours. The only thing running is the refrigerator, which is the norm for me when at home. Any ideas what and why it is happening for this 1st time in the one plus year I have owned this rig. THX

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Are you referring to the fan on the converter?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That fan is the cooling fan for the converter. It will operate based on load, so I would check if anything else is on. If nothing else is on then I would check the battery. Check each cell for water level, and if good disconnect from trailer and do a load test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Chuckster hit the nail on the head. Have you done maintenance on your battery? Check as Chuckster noted and see if that's not the issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That fan is the cooling fan for the converter. It will operate based on load, so I would check if anything else is on. If nothing else is on then I would check the battery. Check each cell for water level, and if good disconnect from trailer and do a load test.
Sounds good. But how do I do a load test? There isn't anything running than what is normally. The frig is the only thing that is running. Will do tomorrow.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
LarrySharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuckster hit the nail on the head. Have you done maintenance on your battery? Check as Chuckster noted and see if that's not the issue.
I checked the water level in the battery about 3 weeks ago. Weather has been cool and a bit rainy. thx

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-05-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Circuit Panel Fan

To load test, take the battery out and either use a load tester or take it to any auto parts store.

You can also get a cheap hydrometer from the AP store, and check the charge of each cell. If you do use the hydrometer make sure the battery has "rested" for a few hours ( not being charged).

Load tester:
https://m.harborfreight.com/100-amp-...ter-61747.html

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Quote:
To load test, take the battery out and either use a load tester or take it to any auto parts store.

You can also get a cheap hydrometer from the AP store, and check the charge of each cell. If you do use the hydrometer make sure the battery has "rested" for a few hours ( not being charged).

Load tester:
https://m.harborfreight.com/100-amp-...ter-61747.html
I will take in to have it tested thanks. The battery is only been in use since July of 2016. Probably the cheapest available. lol

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
LarrySharon

I took the battery in had it tested all good there. So now I am shutting down the frig. perhaps to much heat from the frig. The inverter panel is located beneath the frig and the dealer said it could be from the heat. Any thoughts on this? thx

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Heat rises, so I’m not sure the dealers explanation is valid. There is a panel under the fridge and then some air space between the converter and the panel.

What kind of test did you get done? It may be time to test how many amps is being drawn from the 12V side.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
It may be time to test how many amps is being drawn from the 12V side.
Draws can be from under storage light left on and forgotten? If water heater also has electric option was the switch left on causing relay to stay active? A phone charger left behind?
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
LarrySharon

Hey finally figured it out. The whole problem stemmed from my break away switch. I did not put it back in when I accidently pulled it out when I parked it. When I went to reposition the TT on some board (to get tires off of ground) I couldn't understand why the brakes were stuck. Then it all came together. Ever increasing education. Another one of my DUH moments. But that is where the extra power draw was going to. Thanks for every ones help and assistance.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Cheap education. As those break away switches tend to melt after a long period. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to inspect your brake magnets the breakaway switch and the wiring carefully. Often the magnets will overheat and the insulation on the wiring will melt if the brakes are activated for an extended time frame. You may have "fried" your brakes "literally" and they could fail at the very moment you need them most.

A good check to be sure they are still operational and not damaged from the heat generated by having power applied to them would assure they remain operational.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote