Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #41
C424

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
My 17 Ram 2500 6.4L gasser now has 12,000 miles on it and averages between 8-9 MPG on long distant trips at cruising speeds between 65-68 mph. I did squeak out 10.1 MPG on one tank (hand calculated) when traveling to Florida over the summer. The cooler night air mixed with a tail wind got me over 10 MPG, I believe. If speeds go slightly above 70 MPH, I can usually see a point deduction with fuel efficiency.

I'm happy as a clam if I average 9 MPGs when towing a 35 ft x 8 ft x 11 ft sail. My previous 1/2 TV never seen above 8 MPG's on the freeways towing the same trailer. I regularly see 17-18 MPG's on the freeway when not towing as these big Hemi's have cylinder deactivation.

I looked at buying a 2017 GMC 2500 gasser with the long running 6.0L iron block Vortec. Great engine, in service now since 2007. But, the RAM's just had a better suited interior for me and I couldn't walk away from a huge price adjustment for buying the dealer's demo unit with 3,000 miles. Plus, GMC and Chevy don't have 'MEGA' in their line up. My dad, a former 35 year skilled tradesman at GM, wasn't happy that I didn't remain loyal either.

---But, at least I didn't buy a F$#d, right?

I have never been a Dodge fan but I have several friends that have them for pulling heavy trailers and swear by them. To each their own I guess. Still seems like I’m below average compared to everyone else. Guess that’s life, if I could get 8 I would be happy. Lots of good information being shared though. Probably should have kept my 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #42
rcwyatt

Something I have not seen mentioned. Quality of fuel. I have a 2016 ford f150 with 3.5 ecoboost pulling a 27' approx 5000 bumper pull. I try to stay on secondary roads but do use the interstates. Usually try to keep it around 64 mph. Several times in the last couple of years I have been cruising along getting 10 to 11 mpg, fuel up and suddenly notice a decrease of 2,3 mpg. This has happened with no real change of terrain or speed increases. Only explanation is the quality of gas. Last trip we made I filled up in Lexington, Ky and gas mileage went down 3 mpg almost instantly. I think it was half methanol. Now I know you have to take the on board mileage computations with a grain of salt. My actual mileage is a little less than what the truck indicates. I do believe the mixture of fuel has a lot to do with it. Believe it or not but most of the time when this happens it is "branded" fuel. Anyone else ever noticed this?
rcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #43
C424

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwyatt View Post
Something I have not seen mentioned. Quality of fuel. I have a 2016 ford f150 with 3.5 ecoboost pulling a 27' approx 5000 bumper pull. I try to stay on secondary roads but do use the interstates. Usually try to keep it around 64 mph. Several times in the last couple of years I have been cruising along getting 10 to 11 mpg, fuel up and suddenly notice a decrease of 2,3 mpg. This has happened with no real change of terrain or speed increases. Only explanation is the quality of gas. Last trip we made I filled up in Lexington, Ky and gas mileage went down 3 mpg almost instantly. I think it was half methanol. Now I know you have to take the on board mileage computations with a grain of salt. My actual mileage is a little less than what the truck indicates. I do believe the mixture of fuel has a lot to do with it. Believe it or not but most of the time when this happens it is "branded" fuel. Anyone else ever noticed this?

I added 2 bottles of octane booster and get 1mpg more on the way up. I don’t know if that helped. I’ve also noticed that Casey’s gas is heavy ethanol and I get poor mileage with it. Not sure about the others though. I typically use Loves, Flying J and Kroger gas stations.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Way back in 1972 we had a Dodge D200 with a 360 4 bbl and a 3 speed Loadflight transmission. We towed a 20' Jayco JayRaven travel trailer and got about 8-9 MPG.

Fast forward to 2010, we had a Ford F150 with a 5.4l EFI engine with a 6 speed transmission. We towed a 26' Springdale fifth wheel and got about 8-9 MPG.

We now have a Ford F250 with a 6.7l diesel engine with a 6 speed transmission. We tow a 31' Cougar fifth wheel and get about 9-11 MPG.

I don't remember the solo mileage of that Dodge, but it wasn't great, maybe 12 ?? The F150 got about 15 and the F250 diesel gets about 18 in town and 22 or so on the highway.

The point of all this: Things haven't really changed in towing MPG in the past 40 years. Getting 8 or 9 MPG was and is about the "standard" for most gas engines through the years.
Over the years the one constant is physics, unless the industry can reduce the drag coefficient towing will cost you fuel milage. With the ever increasing demand for larger and longer units any gains in engine efficiencies are negated by the increased drag. With our truck (has a tuner and dpf delete) towing mpg is consistently 12-14 mpg on flats and 10-12 on hills. Obviously there are to many variables (loaded going/unloaded returning, wind, traffic etc.) to place a single value for towing.
The thing to consider when deciding on diesel or gas with a truck purchase is usage and "value" placed on the difference in what really matters - torque.
With a diesel you will unquestionably have more power to tow and with maintaining the diesel a typical 300,000 mile life expectancy. The transmission will also be a more rugged unit and sustain the stress better than a a transmission paired to a gas engine.
The benefits come with a cost. Higher up front cost, about 3X the cost in maintenance and repairs. Go test drive the same make/model truck with a gas and again with a diesel. You may find you like or dislike the diesel so take note on the plus and minus of each. So what I do is take a sheet a paper and draw a vertical line down the center, one side benefits the other deficits. See which side weights heavily and go from there.
I apologize for lengthy response. I hope it helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #45
Desert185

I have a diesel and a gasser. The diesel is not three times more expensive to operate and maintain. The Cummins has 334,000 miles and is a strong runner. A GOOD diesel will run much more than 300,000 miles.

My experience...FWIW...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I have a diesel and a gasser. The diesel is not three times more expensive to operate and maintain. The Cummins has 334,000 miles and is a strong runner. A GOOD diesel will run much more than 300,000 miles.

My experience...FWIW...
My experience...F150 King Ranch 5.4 L gas -oil and filter change $39 @ Ford Dealer. F250 6.4 L diesel - $120 (add another ~$140 for fuel filters)
My simple minded math 3X40 = 120. That's where I live. I use Ford for the oil changes as no arguments if warranty work arises. I wouldn't consider using a Fram or whatever filter or any oil other than Ford after much research on the Ford powerstroke diesels. The 300K number was a placard, not a the engine will die after 300,001 miles.
Edit - I stated 3X the maintenance and repair, not operate and maintain. Big difference.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #47
Jetfixer03

About the same with my F150 Ecoboost and my 19'. Considering we tow in the Rockies I feel that's pretty good.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

This statement is in the 2016 F150 Owner's Manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

A number of EcoBoost owners have commented that they get better performance and better mileage using premium fuel when towing. I don't know how much improvement is "expected" and I can't say whether the improved mileage is offset by the increased cost, so it may be a wash to just accept the lack of maximum performance rather than pay the increased cost for premium gas. Since the OP's vehicle is not an EcoBoost, this may not even apply to his engine performance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #49
K_N_L

I had a 2011 Chevy 2500 gasser (6.0 and 3.73 gears), toying a 30 foot toyhauler at about 9K loaded, the best I ever got was about 8.5mpg on a flat run down I-95 to Florida. I typically would run in the low 60's and get 7.5 to 8.0 mpg on shorter trips. I upgraded to 2015 GMC Duramax and then got b/w 11 and 12 mpg depending on my right foot with that bumper tow. Our current 5ver setup gets us between 9.5 and 10.5mpg.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #50
rcwyatt

I have used higher octane fuel and didn't notice any difference in mileage or power. I still use it when I am in the mountains because of the statement in the manual pertaining to heavy towing. I have been told that the computer adjusts the air/fuel mixture so it really doesn't have much of an effect in the ecoboost engines.
rcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #51
TyeeMan

Yeah the GM 6.0L gasser was never know as an econo motor. I have 2002 GMC 2500 crew cab, 4WD with the 6.0L. Bought the truck with 70,000 on it and now I have 215,000. The truck came with a K&N cold air intake, , , that is/was the most irritating thing I ever heard. Took it out and threw it away and put the stock air filter and ducting back on. As said previously, I would really question what if any PROVABLE gains are obtained by an after market cold air intake.

Anyway, when I do drive my truck unloaded, the best gas mileage I ever got was just shy of 14 mpg, , I almost fell over! Otherwise it's 13.5 - 13 3/4 MPG until they switch over to the "winter blend" fuels up here in the north land, then it's almost exactly 1 MPG less. And I drive like there's an egg between my foot and the gas pedal.

Towing, the worst fuel mileage I ever got was towing an enclosed deck-over snowmobile trailer, 8' wide X 26' long, 4 sleds, probably approaching 6000 lbs. 5.5 miles per gallon! I have never seen a gas gauge move so fast in my life!! That was one tank, otherwise it was 6.5, maybe 7 mpg.

To the point of drag from a trailer, the next snowmobile trailer I got was an "in-line", 7' wide X 25' long, big V nose. I could easily get 8.5 to 10 mpg pulling that trailer with 4 sleds in it.

Towing and fuel mileage should never be used in the same sentence. Just translate that into how many smiles per mile and you'll be just fine.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #52
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwyatt View Post
I have used higher octane fuel and didn't notice any difference in mileage or power. I still use it when I am in the mountains because of the statement in the manual pertaining to heavy towing. I have been told that the computer adjusts the air/fuel mixture so it really doesn't have much of an effect in the ecoboost engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C424 View Post
I have never been a Dodge fan but I have several friends that have them for pulling heavy trailers and swear by them. To each their own I guess. Still seems like I’m below average compared to everyone else. Guess that’s life, if I could get 8 I would be happy. Lots of good information being shared though. Probably should have kept my 1/2 ton.

A gasser is what it is. Friend of mine had the Chevy 6.0l. In hills and head winds he also got 6.5ish. Good motor but thirsty. You mentioned you were pulling hills at 5000 rpm. There's your 6.5. I suspect you'll do 8 on flat land and calm winds. I just arrived in Florida, around 1000 miles at 65-70. 2017 F350 diesel with 3.55 rear end. My trailer is 12,000 lb fiver. My third diesel. You don't save money, if money is the object then buy a gasser. You buy a diesel for the power and the big smile it puts on your face! For reference here's my numbers on this trip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #53
TyeeMan

Yep, pretty sure I'd be smiling ear to ear if my gauge cluster read numbers like that pulling a big trailer.

I'd love, love to have a diesel, but like some others, I just can't warrant it. Certainly couldn't afford a new one.

In a couple of years I'm thinking I'll trade off my 02 for a more current GMC gasser. The 6.0L with the 6 spd tranny and 4:10s will be way better than my set up now which is 6.0L/4 spd/ 3:73 gears.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow, towing