Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
jgottleib

Electrical problem

I have a 2014 keystone cougar 327res. I have been having problems with the landing gear switch replacing the fuse did not work, also I could not get fireplace to work. Tonight I went out to look at firrplace now none of the lights will work. Microwave and tv's work. I tried resetting with breakers and turning off battery power nothing. I went to check battery connection and I heard a buzzing coming from the panel mount on the wall behind battery not sure what its called. I turned battery off and unhook land line buzzing did not stop. I unhooked battery and it stopped but soon as I try to hook battery back up it begins again. And ideas of any of these problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190319_185651.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	20932  
jgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like your battery is not charging. Check the reverse polarity fuses on the converter.

The fireplace, microwave and TV are 120VAC (shore power) and they are not connected to the 12 VDC (battery circuit). The landing gear, lights, and "that buzzing thing" (probably a 30 amp minibreaker) are battery powered.

You will only have 120 VAC when connected to shore power or a generator and the fireplace, microwave and TV will only work when 120VAC is available.

The 12 VDC system (battery power) is available any time the battery cutoff switch is in the ON position, the battery is charged or when the converter is supplying 12 VDC to the trailer system.

My guess is your battery cutoff switch is off, your reverse polarity fuses are blown or the battery is dead.

If you plug into shore power, the fireplace should work, and if you're lucky, once you turn on the battery cutoff switch, the lights should start working again.

As for the "buzzing thing" If it looks like this photo, it's a DC mini breaker. They do occasionally fail, replacements are available at any RV dealership, take it with you so they can determine the amperage rating. It's probably a 30, 40 or 50 amp breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30amp circuit breaker.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	20935  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
jgottleib

Thanks for the reply I will check that. But I was plugged in and the other stuff would not work. The battery is new but I will try one thing at a time. Thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the battery is new, that means there's a 50/50 chance that it might have been connected "backwards" (pos to neg and neg to pos terminals). If that happened, even for a split second, the two reverse polarity fuses on the converter are "toast". Their only purpose is to protect the converter circuitry from the damage that connecting the battery backwards would cause.

Remember, until recently, the wiring is not the same as your car. On an RV, black is POS and white is NEG whereas on a car, black is NEG and red is POS.

So, depending on who/how the battery cables were connected to the battery, that mistake happens much more than you'd guess.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
ChuckS

Looking at your pic there appears to be a couple of omron relays and other items I can’t make out from pic...

If battery voltage is too low I suspect that may be why you hear a buzzing sound from that panel..

A quick check with a multi meter at battery with shore power on will give you an indication of DC voltage. If converter is working you should be see8ng 13.4 or slightly more

To accurately verify if converter is working simply leave battery terminals off battery and measure DC voltage at the main black and white leads removed from battery... should see 13.4 ish....

If not verify you have AC power to converter and as stated in previous post check reverse polarity fuses...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
jgottleib

Update: I replaced both fuses in the converter and yes the battery was dead. My interior lights now work again. Still do not understand why my landing gear will not work with the toggle switch but will work with the remote. I replaced the in line fuse even though is was still good. Any thoughts? I am going to run a new power line this week and check out the fireplace again not sure why that will not turn on. Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Your remote control "brain" is partially "not working". There are two 12 VDC inputs and two grounds on the bottom row of contacts. One of the embedded circuits is no longer working. You can either buy another remote "brain" ($500-$800) or you can bypass the defective components in your existing remote "brain".

There is a thread from several years ago where my remote did the same thing and there is a history of several members having the same problem.

To bypass it, you'll need to connect the two input wires along the bottom together. The two black wires are connected and the two white wires are connected. Easy to do and will get your system back in working order. There is a long history of problems with the 2014 remote system in Cougar trailers.

Here are two of the threads from back in 2014/2015 discussing the problem and the fix. Post #9 has photos and I'm pointing to the two wires you need to move to connect with the other two wires along the same terminal strip.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=remote
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=remote

If you have any "doubts" about your ability to do this "patch" then don't try it, but it's not extremely difficult and has worked for everyone who has done it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
jgottleib

Thanks John! That seems pretty easy I will give it a try and let you know. I really appreciate all your help
Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
jgottleib

So I moved the black and white wires from the right over to the left and now my switches work but not my remote. What is the board called that I would need to replace to make everything work again? Is it a circuit board or the remote control board. I am getting ready to put this up for sale in my mind I would rather the switches work and not the remote. Still no luck with the fireplace anyone have any ideas on that? I took some of it apart but I did not see and fuses. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're going to sell it, I'd put the remote away somewhere and not mention that it has a remote. Some did, some didn't, so you wouldn't be mis-representing anything if you don't say that it has a remote.

As for the fireplace, if you can get to the plug, unplug it, plug it into an extension cord and see if it works. If it does, then it's the plug and RV power system. If it still won't work when on the extension cord, then it's the fireplace. If it's the fireplace, I'd guess that somewhere there's a master switch and a fuse located near the fireplace thermostat/control panel. First, I'd plug it into a known good plug/extension cord and rule out the trailer or the fireplace. One or the other is not going to work. Once you know which one is bad, then you can narrow down your troubleshooting.

ADDED: Here is the link to what I "think" is your remote control board and remote handheld unit: https://store.lci1.com/linc-5-functi...er-218069.html You'll need to verify by model number/serial number with LCI customer service before ordering. They usually don't have a "return policy" and any electronics purchased are "yours upon delivery by UPS". So make sure of what you order !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
electrical, electrical problem