Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Pros and Cons of your TV

I am looking to upgrade my TV. As the name say's I am towing a Laredo 350FB fifth wheel. Fully loaded around 13K.
I would like to pull the fifth wheel with a 350/3500 class SRW diesel TV.
My question is basically what do you like or dislike about your present or past TVs?
Not wanting to start a "mine is better because" contest. Just looking for honest feedback from those that have been where I am going. And the most Chevy post does not necessarily mean Chevy wins.
My preference right now, I am leaning toward the Ram 6.7L Cummins, but heard they are noisier than the other manufactures.
Guess that question is the opening bid.
Thanks,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Pros and Cons of your TV

No matter what brand you choose, having towed a large fiver with both a SRW and DRW, I wouldn’t do it without a DRW.

Ford 6.7 is quiet as a church mouse, Duramax and Cummins are both proven reliable power plants. Having worked on autos for the last 40+ yrs I can tell you:

The Allison transmission is awesome
The Aisian transmission is awesome
The new ford transmission is awesome

I would steer clear of the dodge transmission. I would avoid a ford with the 6.4.

Mine being a 1994 is probably not worth discussing in this thread other than to say it’s paid for, and only has 78,000 miles on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
travelin texans

Diesel, no question, as long as it's equipped with the exhaust brake, the brand is up to you. Absolutely no Ford 6.0 diesel even if it's free!!!
I've had 2 - 3500 DRW Dmax/Allison GMCs totalling just over 300k miles & that combination has proven to be tough to beat. Ram with the Cummins/Asian tranny also a proven combo. Ford with the 6.7 may have FINALLY found an engine they can brag on since the 7.3, just my opinion since I'm NOT a Ford fan.
The 350/3500 SRW should handle what you've described without any problems as long as you don't decide to go bigger any time soon, then go with the wide hips of a DRW.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Tbos

I looked at all 3 but Ford and GM more seriously than Ram. The DW didn’t like the rear seat layout for passengers. The one thing I do like about he Ram is there is space in the engine compartment. I have a 2016 Ford F-350 6.7 Dually. A friend just bought a 2018 fully loaded GMC dually. Very sharp looking truck. His has 1500 lbs less payload. I have 5602 lbs. granted my truck is only an XLT. He hates where the def is under the hood. Ford has it next to the gas filler. On mine I dislike having to engage 4WD the old fashion way but there’s less to break that way. I bought mine used for a reasonable price. If you find a good deal they go pretty quickly. Have fun looking.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Laredo Tugger

This is good info from all and just what I was looking for. Seems each brand has it's pluses and minuses.
The search continues.
Thanks again,
RMc
Old 05-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
travelin texans

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I looked at all 3 but Ford and GM more seriously than Ram. The DW didn’t like the rear seat layout for passengers. The one thing I do like about he Ram is there is space in the engine compartment. I have a 2016 Ford F-350 6.7 Dually. A friend just bought a 2018 fully loaded GMC dually. Very sharp looking truck. His has 1500 lbs less payload. I have 5602 lbs. granted my truck is only an XLT. He hates where the def is under the hood. Ford has it next to the gas filler. On mine I dislike having to engage 4WD the old fashion way but there’s less to break that way. I bought mine used for a reasonable price. If you find a good deal they go pretty quickly. Have fun looking.
I don't like the DEF fill under the hood, but it prevents accidentally putting DEF in the fuel tank, which from reading diesel forums has happened numerous times with Ford's & Rams, they don't run well on water. DEF is 68% deionized water, 32% urea, so not a good fuel additive.
On mine it's only minor inconvenience having under the hood as I only need to add 2.5 gals (tank hold 5.3 gals) of DEF about every 3000-3500 miles. My '13 doesn't have a DEF gauge either, but just another minor inconvenience, when the "need to add" message comes on I have about a 1000 miles before running out & going into limp mode.
I've got a couple friends with Ram duallys that claim they need DEF at every fuel stop especially when towing.
Personally if I were to trade tomorrow it would be another GM or a Ram, as I said not a Ford fan, but any of them should get the job done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
SC Dreamer

I have had all brands over the years and will not make a suggestion there. I will say that I moved to drw many years ago and would not go back to srw hauling anything over 8000 lbs again.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
roadglide

I have 2018 1 ton duramax Darnell. The truck is amazing but way under rated for GVW 23500 lbs . I had it on scale and hit that weight pulse some . Dodge and Ford are thousands over the 23500 GVW.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
captcolour

+1 for the DRW. Allows you to upgrade the 5er down the road without likely having to upgrade the truck.

If you pump the DEF at a truck stop which is the cheapest way to go, there is less chance of putting DEF in the diesel tank. The separate small nozzle and the fact that you just pumped diesel in the other tank makes it highly unlikely you would put the DEF in the diesel tank.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
Frank G

If you put all three side by side with comparable higher trim levels the Ram will be about 10K less out the door. If you do YouTube video's, TFLtruck, does a lot of heavy towing comparisons up the IKE Gauntlet. In the end, the 3 competitors preform about the same including mileage, and in cab noise. (the Cummins usually takes the mileage trophy)

Through the years there has been a lot of noise about the Ram 68RFE transmission. (I have one so I am biased) From my understanding most of the failures come from "Tuned" trucks with high HP. There are many transporters with over 500K on these transmissions. I have no issues with mine, and I pull a 13K Laredo. Over the years they have made modifications to accept the increased HP and Torque numbers.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Alpine

I would have purchased any of the three! The Ram was there and available when needed. I have no regrets.... 120,000 plus miles total... approximately 90,000 miles towing all over, up and down the United States with nary a problem with the transmission! Had the trany serviced at 60,000 and will again in three weeks!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #12
Laredo Tugger

So far my take from responses is:
*DRW is safer and more stable. Du-ally noted.
*DEF service and usage is to be considered. And it sounds like the Ram is very thirsty for DEF when towing? (More so than the other two?)
*All 3 brands have significantly "toned down" the noise level in their cabs.
* The upgraded transmission (at least in the Ram) may not be necessary?
My scorecard: (I know I said this wasn't a contest,so just a summary of brand commentary is recognized here)
GM has an attractive truck with the DEF tank under the hood. The truck has more GVW?
Ford has come around the corner on their motor problems of the past.
The Ram is less expensive,has the best mileage and any of their "stock" transmission will do the job.
There are a few question marks in this post. Any help there would help.
Thanks,
RMc
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Frank G

I watched a guy in the campground dump DEF fluid all over his new Chevrolet Duramax. Yep, on a step ladder trying to hold that 2.5gal jug guiding that dangling spout home.

In the DRW market GM has the lowest CGVWR, it still is enough for the RV market.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
roadglide

[QUOTE=Frank G;285696]If you put all three side by side with comparable higher trim levels the Ram will be about 10K less out the door. If you do YouTube video's, TFLtruck, does a lot of heavy towing comparisons up the IKE Gauntlet. In the end, the 3 competitors preform about the same including mileage, and in cab noise. (the Cummins usually takes the mileage trophy)

Through the years there has been a lot of noise about the Ram 68RFE transmission. (I have one so I am biased) From my understanding most of the failures come from "Tuned" trucks with high HP. There are many transporters with over 500K on these transmissions. I have no issues with mine, and I pull a 13K Laredo. Over the years they have made modifications to accept the increased HP and Torque numbers.[/QUOTE
I'm detailing my duramax in see 7050 GARW that seems a lot for SRW 1 ton . What is the axle weight on your dodge Frank?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
Frank G

6000 front, 6500 rear Ram 2500 4x4 CTD
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #16
notanlines

I’m not necessarily trying to take y’all to task here, but remember that car salesmen/women aren’t evil. They have spouses and kids, and some like to camp like us. Yes, I too am not keen on a pushy salesperson, and have even less patience with one who knows less than I do about their product. Remember, things could be worse.....they could sell RV’s!!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote