Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Watt

Galley Tank Reading

We've had our new Cougar 293SAB for a couple months and taken four trips. This time after dumping the tanks all showed empty except the galley tank which shows 1/3. Water does run thru the dump hose, so I assume the tank is not clogged. Any suggestions on cleaning the tank sensor or am I missing something else?
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Watt -
Your assumption that the tank is not clogged is most likely correct. We have the same galley tank that always gives us a "goofy" reading. Despite several futile attempts at cleaning the tank, it has a mind of its own and refuses to tell us anything but 1/3 full. I've tried Calgon, filling it and emptying it with clean water -- you name it.
I've finally decided to accept defeat and after the tank has been emptied and still reads 1/3 full, I smile. Be gracious in defeat and humble in victory. Learn to be gracious and accept 1/3 full as being empty.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
DJ85

I second that advise well said

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
DJ85

I second that advise win the ones you can but never accept defeat just call it a draw

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
mikell

Sometimes steam from the hot water will make it goofy too just walk away
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
We've had our new Cougar 293SAB for a couple months and taken four trips. This time after dumping the tanks all showed empty except the galley tank which shows 1/3. Water does run thru the dump hose, so I assume the tank is not clogged. Any suggestions on cleaning the tank sensor or am I missing something else?
FWIW, we try not to allow any soilds (food particles from dishes or preparing vegies) to go down the galley drain. You may well have a chunk of food stuck to one of the sensors? If you don't already use them, get some mesh screens for the sink drains (CW or other RV supply). Just thinking out loud - hope it helps

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Watt

Ok, I am graciously (?) accepting this...we can put a vehicle on Mars, but can't get a reading from a tank? Thanks everyone, I appreciate the quick responses!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
ziggyga

It is pssible that you still have water in there. We have a 2012 Cougar 323MKS. The first few trips out with it we were dumping at a station that was slightly uphill. The black tank would not dump, but both gray tanks dumped fine. Took it to the dealer each time and drove on to thier level dump station and it dumped completly.

They investigated and found the way the kitchen Gray and Black tanks are plumbed, If you are on an incline, either up or down, one of the tanks will not completly empty. Poor design but I have learned to live with it. Now when I am at a park with a dump station that is not level, I make sure to stop at the dealers level dump station. (I also store there so I just un hitch and leave it0

This may not be the case with your trailer but it is something to consider
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Watt

Thanks ziggyga, that's something I hadn't considered. We were a small amount out of level, maybe an inch. I'm hoping that small amount wouldn't matter, but will check next trip. Again, thanks...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Philip Saran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
FWIW, we try not to allow any soilds (food particles from dishes or preparing vegies) to go down the galley drain. You may well have a chunk of food stuck to one of the sensors? If you don't already use them, get some mesh screens for the sink drains (CW or other RV supply). Just thinking out loud - hope it helps
You can buy a round screen to fit the sink drains (RV store or try
Bed Bath & Beyond) that will collect any solids when you are rinsing
the dishes.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
Thanks ziggyga, that's something I hadn't considered. We were a small amount out of level, maybe an inch. I'm hoping that small amount wouldn't matter, but will check next trip. Again, thanks...
Do you have three holding tanks like the 318SAB has? If you do I would leave the galley tank open until you leave the next time you are camping. I use to have this issue every once in awhile so I leave the galley tank open to drain and after awhile the tank will show empty when it is checked. I think the way that the tank drain is constructed the water drains out very slowly out of the galley tank.
I had a tire failure last year and the front tire damaged the galley holding tank gate valve for the tank. We had just left the camp ground and the galley tank had shown empty on the gage panel. Will when the valve was damaged it drain all of the remaining water from the galley tank into the main drain pipe. When we finally arrived at our next camp ground I set up as usual and open the cap to connect the drain tube to the dump station. Will at least 3 to 4 gallons of galley water empty into my bucket under the main drain tube. So now I always leave the galley drain open when we camp (we always use full hook ups).

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote