Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
MNawman

Poor tv reception

Hey Guys, I have a 2012 Fuzion and I have very poor tv reception even in town. Do you guys find the stock antenna adequate or are some of you replacing your antennas? For those of you changing, what are you changing to? Thanks for your responses.
MNawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
jbsmith

Most of the trailers have the same Winegard Sensar III antennas. You may want to check all of your connections, including any splitters hidden in the wall. There's a good possibility that your booster might not be working.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
gbsb

We have a 2010 Fuzion 383 TE 11 and have used the anntena on several ocations when cable was not available. It has been a very good pic with good reception.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
MNawman

I just checked the connections today and installed a Wingman, and I picked up one channel but the message on the tv says the digital signal is weak. I cannot find the booster or the splitter. I'm betting the they are buried inside the wall or they didnt install the booster.
MNawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Wingman

I installed a Wingman last year while in Daytona. I was pulling Orlando signal as well and this helped. Since then, traveling across the US, I use cable when available, BUT, often use local channel search and generally pull many channels. You obviously have some sort of booster disconnect. On each of my last 2 RV's, the booster was/is located right on the wall behind the TV. When activated (button on it) green light comes on. This MUST be active and antenna extended for the search (air mode) to be effective. Each TV must be synced individually, like BR versus LR.

You do know you have to go to MENU on your TV and seek out the search as well?! Nothing is automatic.

I also have DISH when at home RV base in N GA mountains. I simply do not like to drag that thing with me and have to find a sattelite.

LAST: you may be receiving ONE or TWO channels without doing the aforementioned by default because they simply are sending a signal. This CAN happen, you STILL need to do the "air" search and the BOOSTER must be on and antenna extended or zappo, no results.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
poochy

tv

on my 2011 fuzion 302 te lll the booster is in the front cabinet facing front right side top shelf cant miss it happy camping
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Geoffwhite18

The Wineguard antenna is actually very good. To get the best signal you need to find where the transmiter station is located. You can search online at www.antennapoint.com or even type in the station identifier in google maps, and it will locate it for you. Then you want to point the wingman, or side of the antenna in the direction the transmiter. In your TV menu you need to do a search to find the channel our it will never show up.

If you still don't get any channels then you are either to far away, or your booster isn't working. My booster in my Montana is in the bedroom where the washer and dryer hookups are installed. If I turn my booster off I don't get any channels. Hope that helps
Geoffwhite18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
mikell

Good signals here 30 miles from the nearest station look for a cigeratte type outlet and there's a switch on it's panel
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I just checked the connections today and installed a Wingman, and I picked up one channel but the message on the tv says the digital signal is weak. I cannot find the booster or the splitter. I'm betting the they are buried inside the wall or they didnt install the booster.
MNawman, Since you were able to add a Wingman you have a Sensar III. (Sensar IV comes with integrated Wingman) Unless Keystone goofed, you have an on/off switch somewhere in your trailer for the booster amplifier. Now that you have the Wingman installed aiming of the antenna is much more critical and every time you move the antenna you should rescan for channels. If you can't return to dealer, find the same model on a dealers lot online and see if they will look to see where the switch is. JM2¢. Hank

I went to the fusion website and in the photos of your model the amplifier should be over the main tv.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
azlee56

if it hadn't been for you guys posting this stuff, I would have never looked for it and I almost didn't see the teeny tiny black button on the 12volt plug in. Finally I saw it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
SteveC7010

I just posted this in another thread a couple of days ago, but.....

The Winegard panel that contains the booster amplifier almost always has at least one F type male tv connector and a 12vdc cigarette lighter type power connecter. There will be a small switch and an LED indicator light. The switch might be a little slide switch or it might be a push on/push off type. The LED might be red or it might be green. It will look very similar to this one:

The amp must be ON to use antenna reception. It must be OFF for satellite or cable tv use.

Sometimes they're in the entertainment center somewhere. Folks have also reported them in closets. My TV is on a swing arm in front of an open compartment that is deep enough for an older style tube tv. The antenna connectors and 110vac outlets are in the compartment, but hidden from view by a half panel.

Sometimes they are located in the bedroom; ours is on the wall where the tv is obviously supposed to be, but it is not too obvious because it is behind a trim panel that part blocks your view of it.

If it is not obviously visible, you've got to be a touch aggressive in searching for it.

And, as several others have pointed out, it doesn't seem that Keystone can be relied upon to properly tighten all the connectors in the television/cable/satellite cabling which can seriously impact the quality of reception. So, there are two options. If the trailer is still in warranty, you could take it back to your dealer and insist that a tech go through it stem to stern and pull every panel off the wall and tighten every connector.

Or......

Get out your #2 square driver and 7/16" open end wrench. Systematically remove each panel from the wall and tighten each connection. Generally, tv connectors should be tightened using the wrench just tight enough that they can no longer be undone by hand. So hand tighten and then use the wrench to add a quarter turn or so and no more. Every single connection has to be checked including the sat prep ones (f you plan to use them, that is.)

I did go up on the roof to slide back the rubber boot on the antenna connection and check it for tightness. I did not disturb the dicor caulk to check the other side of the roof pass through. If I think there is a problem there, I will, but it's the one connector I'll let slide until a problem arises.

Reward yourself with a beverage of choice for a job well done.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
Quiroule

Reception is very good for us, but the wind is blowing it is erratic, maybe because of the trees. I wonder if it is normal, do-you have that problem

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Englishman

Yes the wind blowing the tree's around will cut off the siginal.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
sonuvabum

I just recently replaced something that looked similar to this...

with something that looked similar to this...

It works great! It helps you direct your antenna for best signal and gives good boost. Gain is adjustable if needed.

About $70 at Camping World.

Well worth it.

Gary
sonuvabum is offline   Reply With Quote