Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
BigD

Smile Bike Rack Options

Hello Everyone..

I only belong to one other forum and that is for Honda GL 1800 riders. I have found that to be very helpful and informative. I am from Illinois but we are now in Florida for the winter (it better get warm soon)

We just purchased a new Raptor Toy Hauler 3602RL and I was looking into a bicycle rack for our 2 mountain bikes so I could get them out of the trailer. Most of the racks I have seen use a
Standard tube hitch mounted on the rear. The ladder hitch does not seem to be a good idea due to the extra stress applied to the ladder. Lots of racks use the standard 4” square bumper as an attachment point, which as you all know is not part of a toy hauler. The hitch pin rack would seem to cut down the turning radius. Has anyone had any experience with other options that could possibly use the flat rear bumper or even the surface of the garage door?

I did try the search option but had no joy

Thanks in advance

Dick
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Flyguy

Have you seen this: http://www.rvstuffusa.com/bikerackan...rvbythule.html The bike rack for 3 bikes looks like what your after, it's a bit pricey but hey, there's a down side to everything!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Steersall4

I can't see how a hitch mounted bike rack ON your trailer would affect turning. I will only say as a reminder, IF your bikes are good ones I sure would not hang them by the wheels. that tends to make them go outa round.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Have you seen this: http://www.rvstuffusa.com/bikerackan...rvbythule.html The bike rack for 3 bikes looks like what your after, it's a bit pricey but hey, there's a down side to everything!
Yes, I did see that one but the large toy hauler door in the back is a problem. On the 3602RL there is only a half wide door but I would have to remove the entire rack every time I wanted to take the motorcycle out. If they made one half that size if might work. I will have to call them to see if they could modify that one.

Thanks for the tip

Dick
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersall4 View Post
I can't see how a hitch mounted bike rack ON your trailer would affect turning. I will only say as a reminder, IF your bikes are good ones I sure would not hang them by the wheels. that tends to make them go outa round.
As I stated in my post I have a fifth wheel and the hitch pin is the one that goes onto the truck bed. I checked into it and if you have an extra 2 feet or so between your trailer and the back of the cab it might work. There are just too many potential problems. I will most likely end up with the bikes in with my motorcycle. It's too bad that someone does not make a rack that would fit vertically on the right side of the door.

Thanks for the reply
Dick
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Don't know what kind of truck you have, but could you mount a carrier on the front of your truck? It would take some fabricating- making some kind of receiver to attach to the truck rails, but I wouldn't think it would add much weight. And hopefully you could get them low enough so they wouldn't obstruct your view or headlites. Not too many more options left.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Don't know what kind of truck you have, but could you mount a carrier on the front of your truck? It would take some fabricating- making some kind of receiver to attach to the truck rails, but I wouldn't think it would add much weight. And hopefully you could get them low enough so they wouldn't obstruct your view or headlites. Not too many more options left.
My wife had mentioned that yesterday and your right it may be the only option left.

Dick
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Steersall4

He's right and I have seen that done to the front of a truck and yes I have seen them way up ontop of the 5th wheel hitch. There that could be a problem if you have one of the shorter beds than the long bed.
On other thing I had not thought of till I wanted to haul 2 "GIRLS" Bikes while down Tx for the winter and NOT Have my hitch out. Hang girls bikes from a hitch mounted carrier? I ended up buying 2 removable bars they make to go across a girsl bike. means more equip along but is an answer for that.
fortunatly My 04 Cougar has a pull out bike rack. the back bumper and spare pull out around 3 ft. and there are pins to keep it there. WCS? when turning in to the park where we are, just enough incline in off the street that my door side rear jack dragged on the cement and bent the thing UN-usable. yes it was UP. SOooo I had to buy a new one! teh back jacks are mounted to the bike rack.
I am sure you will find a suitable method.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
My wife had mentioned that yesterday and your right it may be the only option left.

Dick
Not sure what make your truck is but I bought a front mount hitch for mine so that I can just slide my bike rack into the receiver. They make these hitches for mounting winches to the front but they use a standard 2" receiver so you can put anything you want on it as long as its a 2''. Only thing is you gotta make sure you dont obstruct your headlights if you travel at night. My rack blocks a lot of the light from my headlights but we do not travel at night. Not a problem for us. Hope this helps. I felt like it was the best option for me.http://www.hitchesonline.com/front_m...iver_hitch.htm
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
Not sure what make your truck is but I bought a front mount hitch for mine so that I can just slide my bike rack into the receiver. They make these hitches for mounting winches to the front but they use a standard 2" receiver so you can put anything you want on it as long as its a 2''. Only thing is you gotta make sure you dont obstruct your headlights if you travel at night. My rack blocks a lot of the light from my headlights but we do not travel at night. Not a problem for us. Hope this helps. I felt like it was the best option for me.http://www.hitchesonline.com/front_m...iver_hitch.htm
What a great idea. That's the answer! I ordered one today

Thanks
Dick
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Terrydactile

Your welcome!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
michael

Over roof rack

My Uncle had a fifth wheel, He had a rack made so he could put his atv over the roof of his dually chev crew cab 2 wd, I guess if there is a will theres a way, I think he made it out of stainless steel tube.

2011 Sprinter 297RET

2008 Ford 250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 V10
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
kiwi2000

whats the matter with the ladder bike holder? I thought that was a great idea. Anyone using this for there bikes?
Any problems?
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Outbackmel

Bike Rack Ladder

Been there, done that on most options. Presently using the ladder rack. No problem with the ladder or the bike moving. The "problem" is that a man's bike fits the rack really well. The struggle comes in finding a way to secure a medium sized bike OR a ladies bike. These racks are designed for a bike to hang over the triangle in the frame to make it travel safely. Well, the spacing for a medium sized bike is TOO WIDE and it will not fit. A ladies bike has no triangle frame so they will not fit either.

I placed my men's bike on the rack. Took the front wheel off one medium sized bike and laid the bike (wrapped) in the bed of the truck, forward of the fifth wheel hook up. Left my wife's bike home. Figured I could buy one for $50 on Craigslist. DID NOT WORK OUT. Went to Walmart and for $90, bought a 24" frame ladies bike. Will need to disassemble it to get it back home.

I looked at those CW folding bikes. Could not imagine dragging that thing in and out every night and morning....ugh....

No easy solutions. Nothing seems to be perfect.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
reubenray

Where did you get your ladder rack?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
kiwi2000

cw has them, online
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
LarryL

I got a ladder rack at CW put my bike on then the DW's on did not use there straps.
I used ratchet straps you can get them nice and tight went from California to
Arizona never moved.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
mike9661

I mounted mine on the front of my truck, New Jersey to Florida and back no problems and I can keep an eye on them al the time. It is a Curt Hitch that I bought from E-Trailer.
Mike

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
RCrawler

The one thing that many don't think about when they start mounting things on the front of their trucks such as bike racks and spare tires is the lack of air flow for the engine.

The typical late model pickup has no less than 4 heat exchangers behind the grille, radiator, A/C condenser, trans cooler, engine oil cooler, charge air cooler on a diesel. With the increased aerodynamics of todays vehicles, air flow is critical when their isn't much to begin with. It may not be an issue driving around town, but add 10-15K lbs of weight, a hot day, and a good grade and you can do some real long term damage. Even if its something as small as a couple of bikes hanging off the front.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote