Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
DocData757

Barth room door replacement?

Our first 5vr had 2 pocket doors on the bathroom and that was great. Our current, a 2011 Alpine 3500RE, has 2 hinged doors that are forever in the way of something. I cannot replace them with sliding doors because of the tank/thermostat/switch panel and its wiring in the hall and because of the light switch, temperature sensor and wall receptacle on the bedroom wall.

I guess I could do the bedroom door but there would be a lot of rewiring so I am considering other ideas. I'm going to go look at some vinyl panel folding doors (not fabric or thin vinyl but more 'plank' like) this weekend. The can be cut to fit.

Has anyone addressed this problem?

I see in the 2012 3500RE, the BR has only 1 door (with the same problem).
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
geo

Bathroom door

Dave -

You might recall a little over a year ago, I posted in Modifications of replacing the bathroom door on my Alpine 3640RL with an accordian door from CW. Think I posted that around December, 2010 with several pictures.

The CW accordian door is vinyl, but a thicker vinyl that is holding up very well! We have had absolutely no problems with it. It was the custom order accordian door from the CW website - choose the fabric and color besides the height and width. I would mention, if I were to order one again, I think I would add another two inches to the door width just to allow for a "looser hang".

Here's a link to the post. Originally the thread was started because the door hitting one's backside.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=door

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
DocData757

I found the thread.

Now...

1. What color are the ones you ordered?
2. Was it really necessary to take out the exiting plastic/vinyl door frame?
3. What was the width of your door and how wide did you order it back then?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
geo

Gee, Dave, gotta remember I'm 62. The mind is starting to go . . .

But, I believe I can get the answers to your questions 1 and 3 when I get home, or maybe CW keeps a log of orders, I'll check.

But I can definitely answer question 2 from feeble memory! Look at the door frame carefully. The plastic is extruded to create the "jamb" for the door (see attached .jpg). Because of the "stuck out" piece, one cannot properly attach the accordian door to the frame. Even if you did a pocket door, you would have this same "frame" problem.

If I were to fix this, or do it again, I would do the same with the thin birch plywood (too bad you can't pick up my extra from the garage!), but I would get the light cherry stain and would get unfinished wood moulding to stain in the same color.

Let me check on the rest.

Ron

OK, I'm back. Isn't Camping World great? The color was Almond. And the width of the door was what I measured it at: 24". That's what I ordered, 24". Today, I think I would order it at 26" to allow the "accordian" to be a little looser. When we store our Alpine with the accordian door, ah, restrained for a while, it takes about 10 minutes of being closed for the accordian to relax and not pull open. Not that we are that shy, but if one has the ceramic heater going in the bathroom, one doesn't want the relatively cold air from the bedroom invading! If you order the door size, United cuts it just a little shorter and at the correct length to come almost but not quite to the floor.

Look at: http://www.campingworld.com/order/wi...&cord_group=12

I wanted the custom ordered accordian door so there wouldn't be a lot of "folds" left over when it was closed. I think just adding two inches or so would allow the folds to just not expand quite as far and not pull back so much when first extended. The custom ordered door is thin enough when retracted that it does not impare passage through the door. In fact, because the door is only 24", if you look at the picture, one can hardly see the accordian material when the door is retracted.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door_frame.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	895  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
DocData757

My door jam is more like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door_frame.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	896  
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
geo

Ah, well then . . .

I wish I had that type of door jamb, 'cause I wouldn't of had to pull off the old one! I believe that you could mount the track slightly off center so the plastic ends pieces would just touch the extended jamb piece. All you would really have to do is mask the hinge impressions on the plastic jamb!

Man, Dave, you have it easy!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
DocData757

I looked closer. The door to the bedroom has the one I posted above and the one from the hall into the bathroom has the one you posted.

I'm wondering if I can get away leaving the door frame as is for the on into the bedroom. The cove is the bedroom side leaving the entire molding on the inside.

Wish I could put my hands on one before ordering. I guess I'll make the trip to HD after all.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
DocData757

I guess we are thinking alike on that one door. I posted my last response evidently while you were doing the same.

I can probably live with that. The one in the hall is not really in the way too often but the one to the bedroom opens right in front of the sink so you have to close that door to do anything in the sink, medicine cabinet or under the sink. Nice.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
DocData757

Btw, I think CW does keep track of your previous orders on line.

So, you should be able to get the answers to 1 and 3.

Now, here's #4 that they won't have. How wide are the individual panels on the door?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
geo

Dave -

Yes, CW does keep track of one's orders, I checked. But, it's only for the past 12 months. Not like Amazon that keeps years of orders online! But when I saw that page, the memory got tripped! Might have been that fresh cup of coffee, though.

I'll try to leave a little early today to run past the storage yard. But just as a guess, and only a guess, I would say that the folds are 2" wide, but the left/right plastic frame is around 2.5" wide. I can have better measurements hopefully tonight otherwise on Saturday.

Basically behind that plastic extruded door frame is rough wood. The panels are just rough cut, and the 2x4 are construction white pine. The plastic frame is shot in with wire brads, so don't pull it off unless you have a wire brad gun or are going to remove the frame period. It took me longer to pull the wire brads out of the white pine with lineman pliers than it did to pull the plastic off the opening.

More later.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
geo

Dave -
The widest point of the accordion door is the "front" end - that would be the moving end that grips the plastic button when closed. It is 2 3/4 inch wide. The individual pleats of the accordion fabric are 1 11/16 inch wide. The accordion fabric is patterned like a "jute weave" and gives the appearance more of fabric than vinyl.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch