Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
jvee1985

Black tank smells terrible

We bought a new 3750fl Montana and have camped several times this summer and every time after camping I drain and flush our tanks we have a black water tank flushing connection which I use every time, the last few times we have camped the smell coming from the toilet is terrible, I mean BAD now I have called the dealer and they gave me some enzyme stuff to put in the tank (this has not helped at all). I looked this last weekend down the toilet and not all of the water is draining out of the holding tank is this normal? I have tried filling the tank and then draining, I have tried everything I need some help.
jvee1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The odor may be caused by toilet paper or other contents that have become lodged in the toilet seal or between the seal and the valve. Because it isn't sealed properly, odors can escape from the holding tank. You might want to check this out and; if necessary, clean the area with a nonabrasive cleaner and soft rag or paper towel.
Depending upon where the drain valve is positioned on your tank, it may be that the bottom - or a part of it -of your tank is below the level of the drain valve. This would result in a low point in your tank which would allow waste to accumulate and not drain out.
If you are hooked up to sewer at a campsite, it might be a good idea not to open your black water drain valve until your tank has enough volume of liquid in it to carry away the solids and toilet paper. Having it open all the time, doesn't allow enough water and liquids to build up and help flush away the solids.
Have you checked your vents to make sure they are clear?
You might try draining your tank, filling it up with water, adding some chemicals and Calgon, take your RV out for a good run to let the water slosh around, bring it home and let it sit for 24 hours, take it back out again, bring it to a dump station and empty your tank.
Take it back home and pour a couple of gallons of clean water with some tank chem and Calgon and then check it again for odors.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
hsmunoz

I agree with the previous poster, but add some crushed ICE. That will bounce around in the tank and help "scrap" anything that is on the sides.

search the web for the "Geo Method" , that should do the trick
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
therink

Good advice above. One thing I always do after dumping and flushing is fill the tank with about 5 to 10 gals of water through the flusher when done dumping/flushing. I them dump a couple ounces of Dawn down the potty. This helps break up any remaining sediment on the way home and keeps the tank surfaces wet. I also keep the toilet valve/seal well lubed to ensure a liquid/vapor tight seal. The tank is then ready for the next trip.
I never have odors in the cabin (except when I'm using it of course) and I don't use chemicals. Water is the best defense against odors/clogs.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
jvee1985

Thanks guys I tried to snake my vent and it appears to be blocked. I called the dealership and have set an appointment to have them look at this as soon as we get the camper back I'm going to try your ideas for keeping it clean. Thanks again you guys are very helpful.
jvee1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Jim W

My method has always worked for me, but it does take time to do right. When hooking up the drain line from the trailer to the dump station I use a flush king clear connection. This is to insure that the water from the tanks run clear.

First, I drain the black tank completely. In the mean time I am doing other things to break camp. Second, when the water from the black take slows down, I than turn on the water to the black take flush connection (separate hose). I let this run for 10 to 15 Min's. Third, I fell up a 5 gallon bucket (4 or 5 times) than dump this down the toilet also. This helps to clean the sensors and large amounts of water at once.

This takes about at least 1/2 hour to do correctly. That is why we always use full hook-ups.

I also use a natural enzyme deodorizer & waste dig ester every time I dump. This is placed in the tank after dumping is completed.

We never have any smell coming from the black.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
RCrawler

What is the proper procedure for handling the black tank?

I've always just hooked it up and opened the sewer valve the entire time.

But then I was told that I want to leave it closed, and periodically open it. Gives the "fluids" a chance to help with breaking down the "solids".

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Hunter757

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
What is the proper procedure for handling the black tank?

I've always just hooked it up and opened the sewer valve the entire time.

But then I was told that I want to leave it closed, and periodically open it. Gives the "fluids" a chance to help with breaking down the "solids".

Jason
Jason, if you read everyone's comments there is some great information to follow. I would highly recomend you leave it closed and let it fill so you have enough fluid to flush your solids out of your tank. I to use the flushking and you would be amazied at what comes out of those tanks. I have never had any problems with my probes for 8 yrs with our last fifth wheel and no smells ever always add a little fresh water to the tank and chemicals prior to every trip. Good luck and happy camping.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
RCrawler

Yes, there is some great info here. My other trailer had odor issues and I want to avoid that on the new one.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
KanTC

Here's some additional posts on dumping/cleaning tanks & sensors, tank odors, etc.

Dumping
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3298

Cleaning Tank Monitor Sensors
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=782

Sodium Carbonate - A handy RV chemical
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1611

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Hunter757

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Here's some additional posts on dumping/cleaning tanks & sensors, tank odors, etc.

Dumping
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3298

Cleaning Tank Monitor Sensors
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=782

Sodium Carbonate - A handy RV chemical
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1611

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Thanks Terri, those were great reads and lots of great information and laughs!

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
dbunn

Labeled wrong too!

We recently purchased a 3750FL. All the above advice is on point and sound, but wanted to make a note of anan issue that we found almost immediately. The black tank and the grey tank were labeled incorrectly. Funny thing was that another 3750FL in the same park was also labeled incorrectly.
dbunn is offline   Reply With Quote