Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
daldous

Converter dead using 30 Amp Adapter

My new 3450 Alpine ran the batteries down when plugged into a 120V 30 Amp single phase service (at home) using one of the many adapters one can purchase.

After checking the converter wiring, it turns out that only half of AC breakers get power when using a 30 amp adapter and the converter is not powered at all as the converter breaker is not among those that receive 120vac!! (What a strange way to configure the power!)

As a temporary fix (until I install a 50 Amp service installed) I ran two heavy extension cords that are plugged into 20A non-gfci circuits, each on a separate phase. This seems to work fine though it is limited to 40 amps total.

I already have one of the adapters that has a 30Amp and a 15Amp plug on one end and a 50Amp plug on the other. This wouldn't work on my 30 Amp GFCI circuit due to the requirement of the neutral carrying the difference (current) of an unbalanced load!! (The GFCI breaker wouldblow immediatly no matter what phase the 15amp plug used.)

I anticipate running into this again, perhaps at a friend's house etc. Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this problem?
daldous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Half power

I was under the assumption that you only lost the second A/C circuit when you used a 30Amp adapter. Guess I better check mine this weekend, although I have not had problems to date.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

It could be as simple as switching the breaker for the converter with one that has power and not as critical. Maybe microwave or water-heater if you won't be using them at home. Usually the only thing on the second side of the buss is the #2 A/C that will not work on 30amp. Your trailer seems to be completely backwards. If under warranty you might want a dealer to check and correct it. Someday you may find yourself at a campground without 50 amp service and be without the proverbial paddle.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
mikell

My adapter powers both legs. I might have got it at Wal Mart for about 20$ then I found one in a goodie bag that they put in the front of the trailer
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
hsmunoz

yea I think your adapter is goofy. it should connect to both hot legs of your coach but the wire size is limited to 30 amps. so you have to manage your load. I have my alpine connected at home too, to a 30 amp receptical with an adapter and both legs are hot.
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Johnnyfry

Adapter

I was at the trailer yesterday (318SAB) and checked mine out . I was wrong, both sides of the line have more than 1 breaker. I was using a 50 to 30 adapter and both sides were powered up.

You can check out the adapter if you have an multimeter, but offhand I'd agree that you need a new adapter.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
mhs4771

Agreed, you've got a bad adapter. Any adapter used should tie the two hot leads together to put power to all breakers. I have a 30 amp plug next to the rig (left over from the previous 30 amp TT) and took an old 30 amp cord that had a bad rcpt end and put on a 50 amp to connect to the Monty. Jumpered the two hot leads together and I have power at all breakers. Because it's only 30 amps I can only run one or two appliances at a time, but then again we're not living in at the house.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote