Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Luke Croll

WD Spring Bars and Leveling

Hey Folks,
I have a 35' Laredo TT and seem to be having an issue with getting it level. I have always leveled trailers with the slides in and the WD spring bars still attached. The only thing I remove is my friction sway bar. But, it seems to be tilting a hair when i open the slides. Does this happen to anyone else. Keystone manual states you level it with the slides closed . Also, seems to tilt when i release the WD bars as well before slides are even open. Should I start removing the spring bars before i back in? My truck rear will drop a little if i do this. And should i just compensate for the slight bubble movement when slides open up or look for a larger problem...? Thanks
Luke Croll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Hmmmmmmm.....I level side to side and then unhook my WD bars. I don't check again side to side once it's done. The weight of the slide out and the fact it acts as a lever will/may cause some tilt, but it should be slight at best, unless you are on some very soft ground. I don't worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

If your TV and camper are not on the same plane, one bar or the other will exert different pressure to its side of the camper.

The size bars, how tight they are, the length of your camper, the weight of your camper and the number of axles on your trailer are all factors.

If your TV and camper are not straight ahead the same thing can occur.

How much it matters can vary widely.

I see more changes from having many more feet of slide on one side than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Luke Croll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
If your TV and camper are not on the same plane, one bar or the other will exert different pressure to its side of the camper.

The size bars, how tight they are, the length of your camper, the weight of your camper and the number of axles on your trailer are all factors.

If your TV and camper are not straight ahead the same thing can occur.

How much it matters can vary widely.

I see more changes from having many more feet of slide on one side than the other.

OK this makes sense. The last time I camped the truck was having to back uphill a little...therefore it wouldn't have been on the same plane as the trailer. The trailer dry weight is 7k and the length is 35' both slides are on the same side as well and one is around 10' long (dinette and couch). It is a two axle rig.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Tbos

I level side to side with the bars on and front to back with them off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

WD Spring Bars and Leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Croll View Post
OK this makes sense. The last time I camped the truck was having to back uphill a little...therefore it wouldn't have been on the same plane as the trailer. The trailer dry weight is 7k and the length is 35' both slides are on the same side as well and one is around 10' long (dinette and couch). It is a two axle rig.

... and when I say same plane, I am meaning the same side-to-side levelness.

If the truck is lot level and the trailer is (as would be the case after leveling the trailer), the truck (through the bars) is trying to twist the trailer.

Not sure how much it matters though.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Luke Croll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
... and when I say same plane, I am meaning the same side-to-side levelness.

If the truck is lot level and the trailer is (as would be the case after leveling the trailer), the truck (through the bars) is trying to twist the trailer.

Not sure how much it matters though.

Seemed that it did make a difference. I noticed the trailer did move out of side to side level as soon as i unhooked the spring bar on that side. And then it continued a hair more out of side to side level when i opened the slides. hmmm. 35 ft total length and a 12' slideout (dinette and couch) and a 4' slideout (wardrobe) both on the same side.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=Luke Croll;249783]Hey Folks,
I have a 35' Laredo TT and seem to be having an issue with getting it level.
Don't know what model you have but mine does this as well. Those 2 slides exert a lot of leverage when extended. I automatically compensate by setting mine up about a half bubble high on the driver side. Then remove WD bars and unhitch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Luke Croll

[QUOTE=flybouy;249977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Croll View Post
Don't know what model you have but mine does this as well. Those 2 slides exert a lot of leverage when extended. I automatically compensate by setting mine up about a half bubble high on the driver side. Then remove WD bars and unhitch.
I have a 2012 Keystone Laredo 300RB rear bunkhouse. Both slides are on the same side too. I like this idea. Thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Luke Croll

Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Luke Croll

Tags
leveling