Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Scorn

Downsizing to Cougar 21RBS Lite

I thought this my help someone in future in not making the same mistake I made. Just because something is a good deal doesn't mean its right for you. Also, towing a camper if fun but sometimes you can buy into the hype you can tow anything.

I have a 2014 Ford F150 4WD 4Door Eccobost truck with max tow. 10K and 1K hitch rated. We found a GEAT buy on a 2015 Heritage Glen 282RK (36ft) long. It towed fine but with my truck 22 ft and the camper 36 ft it felt like a semi and I was intimidated. So I didn't go on very long trips.

We are downsizing to a 2018 Cougar 21RBS, (25ft) 5K weight, without the dinette and theater seats added. It has to be ordered and won't be in until late August.

If anyone has this camper and are pulling it with a 1/2 town let me know how you like the camper.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That is great information to share. This topic comes up a lot, needless to say. It will help someone I am sure.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Mandolin

We tow a 2017 Hideout 21FQWE (about 4,900 loaded, no water in the tanks) with a 2013 F150 V8 with a factory tow package and a 3.73 rear. Tows well, goes up a 6% highway grade in 3rd and will climb steeper grades in 2nd at about 40mph, assuming 40 is appropriate for the road.

I have never felt that the trailer is pushing or pulling the tow vehicle. I am not a fan of big trucks (more of a 2-seater sportscar girl, myself) and the F150 is as big as I'd want to go. The truck is about 20' long, the trailer is right around 26', including the hitch and bumper, so we are 46' long.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Scorn

Mandolin, we will be around 48 feet down from almost 59 feet. The Eccoboost towed rather well but it was the length that I was concerned about. It gave me white knuckles in tight spots.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Mandolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorn View Post
Mandolin, we will be around 48 feet down from almost 59 feet. The Eccoboost towed rather well but it was the length that I was concerned about. It gave me white knuckles in tight spots.
I am not even a fan of just the truck in parking lots, so I quite understand.

I would actually have preferred a shorter trailer, but the two things I had to have (as opposed to wanted) in the trailer were double axle and walk-around bed, although a double bed instead of queen would have been fine. Didn't find that combination in smaller trailers.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
ncgrl1

We have a 2017 Cougar 21RBS that I pull with my Ram 1500 R/T regular cab. I have no complaints. It pulls great & we absolutely love the Cougar. We ordered it last November and picked it up in February. We got the theater seating also. We have never regretted that. We just got back from our 4th trip and can't wait for the next! You will love it!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
Scorn

21rbs

Why did you go with the recliners and what do you use for tables? We wanted to relax and not sit at the table all the time. What about using those 24X18 inch folding tables?

Have you added a table top grill?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
kjohn

We bought a new 21 RBS this Spring, up from a 197 Jayco. We liked the bigger bathroom, nicer cupboards, etc. The only thing that doesn't work so well is the supposed "king" bed. If it was simply a queen, it would fit the trailer much better.

I pulled the Jayco many miles without an equalizer hitch, had no trouble with it. The Cougar, different story. Had to put on a hitch to tame it. It works fine now.

We pull ours with a 2015 3.5 EB SC 6.5' box. No trouble with pulling it and it is easy to handle in parks etc.. Having pulled 50' semi trailers in cities when I was younger, I still find it easier to back a 50' compared to the short TT.

I see some pretty long TT's behind 1/2 tons. Okay for short hauls, but must take a toll on long hauls. We just got back from a 4500 mile jaunt in 4 provinces and the Yukon, 16 days out altogether. We averaged 11.2 mpg (Cdn) overall.

All in all, we like the Cougar. Still having problems with the fridge freezing stuff, but we will likely get that sorted out.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
I still find it easier to back a 50' compared to the short TT.
Ditto on the ease of backing up a longer trailer. My 12 foot enclosed cargo trailer requires so much more steering input and correction than my 35 foot TT. When backing up, I usually (within 2 attempts) can get the travel trailer wheels positioned exactly where they need be. The cargo trailer seems to require a few more attempts.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #10
Scorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
We bought a new 21 RBS this Spring, up from a 197 Jayco. We liked the bigger bathroom, nicer cupboards, etc. The only thing that doesn't work so well is the supposed "king" bed. If it was simply a queen, it would fit the trailer much better.

I pulled the Jayco many miles without an equalizer hitch, had no trouble with it. The Cougar, different story. Had to put on a hitch to tame it. It works fine now.

We pull ours with a 2015 3.5 EB SC 6.5' box. No trouble with pulling it and it is easy to handle in parks etc.. Having pulled 50' semi trailers in cities when I was younger, I still find it easier to back a 50' compared to the short TT.

I see some pretty long TT's behind 1/2 tons. Okay for short hauls, but must take a toll on long hauls. We just got back from a 4500 mile jaunt in 4 provinces and the Yukon, 16 days out altogether. We averaged 11.2 mpg (Cdn) overall.

All in all, we like the Cougar. Still having problems with the fridge freezing stuff, but we will likely get that sorted out.
That's what I was concerned about, the long hauls or longer trips. I feel like I'm matched up with the right trailer for my Ford 2014 EB 6 foot bed, elephant ear mirrors and max tow. We went with the theater seats instead of the dinette.

Tags
21rbs, cougar