Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #41
jimthemosaicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGeek View Post
Yup! I bought some "Coolaroo ready-to-hang shade sail 13' x 7"' from Costco and simply draped them over my slides. It's slightly Sanford and Son looking, but it made a big difference inside! Hopefully, you can see the attachments. I only got one far away pic of the RV on the side with the net.

How and where did you attach them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #42
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemosaicguy View Post
How and where did you attach them?

They have very long ropes. I simply lashed them to the vent tubes and antennae on the roof. The other ends I left hanging bundled up for the weight. It's a temporary solution because I'll eventually get window covers and install a full length awning on the driver side.

Sent from my pocket computer
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGeek View Post
They have very long ropes. I simply lashed them to the vent tubes and antennae on the roof. The other ends I left hanging bundled up for the weight. It's a temporary solution because I'll eventually get window covers and install a full length awning on the driver side.

I would urge you to think very carefully about tying anything to the antenna and the tank vents on the roof. They are all "sealed with DICOR to the TPO roof membrane. Any stress that pulls on them or causes them to move could damage the seal and allow your RV roof to leak. Additionally, a strong gust of wind might cause the draped fabric to billow, pull the antenna out of the roof completely or bend the thin aluminum structure of the antenna mechanism damaging it beyond repair.

The roof structure is thin, lightweight and those plastic components mounted up there are not designed to secure anything, especially a shade cover.

Even the awnings on the sides of our trailer can't support unexpected winds. Relying on the plastic vent caps and the TV antenna to provide security for a tarp may lead to an unwanted disaster, especially if an afternoon thunderstorm blows in unexpectedly and you can't untie all that stuff before it hits.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #44
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would urge you to think very carefully about tying anything to the antenna and the tank vents on the roof. They are all "sealed with DICOR to the TPO roof membrane. Any stress that pulls on them or causes them to move could damage the seal and allow your RV roof to leak. Additionally, a strong gust of wind might cause the draped fabric to billow, pull the antenna out of the roof completely or bend the thin aluminum structure of the antenna mechanism damaging it beyond repair.

The roof structure is thin, lightweight and those plastic components mounted up there are not designed to secure anything, especially a shade cover.

Even the awnings on the sides of our trailer can't support unexpected winds. Relying on the plastic vent caps and the TV antenna to provide security for a tarp may lead to an unwanted disaster, especially if an afternoon thunderstorm blows in unexpectedly and you can't untie all that stuff before it hits.
Sure, it's not the best thing to do, but I don't do anything without thinking about it first and it's Meh. You've posted the worst case scenario and I was in the best case case scenario. It was over 100 degrees with barely a mild breez.

My antenna is solid mounted, not articulated. The rope attached to the vent pipe, not the upgraded caps I installed. And the caps probably produce more stress while underway than those ropes do sitting idle. Finally, I intentionally didn't anchor the ropes to the ground so if a wind came by for a visit, the material would just flip any which way.

Again, your warning isn't wrong... But in my case it's a non issue. [emoji6]

EDIT: Also, it's not a tarp. It's a meshed screen which is very lightweight.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

No problem, you're absolutely correct. It's not a problem, my apologies for being concerned. I'll try very hard not to read anything into what you do in the future !!!!

Enjoy your shade !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #46
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No problem, you're absolutely correct. It's not a problem, my apologies for being concerned. I'll try very hard not to read anything into what you do in the future !!!!

Enjoy your shade !!!!!
Even though I don't know you, your concern and advice comes from a good place, I'm sure. It's just not applicable to my situation. But it's a good thing to point out so folks who stop by later on and read this thread won't make that mistake.

You could read my blog and probably swap ideas. LOL

Sarcasm aside, I'd still have a beer with you and shoot the breeze (as long at it wasn't towards my awesome janky shade) . [emoji6]

Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #47
jimthemosaicguy

Well, my living area is currently 79 and garage is 80. I feel pretty good Considering last year I couldn't get either area below 90. Also, not sure if the "Feels Like" 114 matters.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #48
jimthemosaicguy

Tags
air conditioner, fuzion