Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
grampscamper

Furion observation camera install question.

We just purchased a Passport Elite 19RB. We pick it up in a few weeks. One of the first things I want to do is install a Furion observation camera. The trailer comes with the camera prep. I understand it's a plug and play system. The salesman told me the camera will be live all the time. Is this true or does it get power from the running lights?

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Most likely it is only powered when the lights are on. Yours may be different, and hooking it up is the only way to know for sure. If you have a multimeter you could check the out put of the pigtail before you install. Having the lights on to activate is not a big deal IMHO. YMMV ,though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
Shiptime

Mine only runs when running lights or other truck lights are on.
Shiptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Most people have "their own opinion" about how to power a rear camera. If you consider the three options, having power from the clearance/running light system seems the "best option" for most people. Here's my reasoning why:

If you power from the clearance light, to "turn on the camera" only requires you turn on your tow vehicle lights. The camera is then powered and functional.

If you power from a separate source, (without a switch) your camera will be powered at all times, have "unnecessary wear" and draw power from the coach battery, adding an unwanted additional drain while dry camping or while in storage.

If you power from a separate source, (with a switch) your camera can be turned on/off when towing, but if you forget to turn it on, it'll mean a stop, possibly along the roadside, to switch it on. That can be an inconvenience and removes the "operability" while in the driver's seat.

So, at least in my opinion, connecting the wireless rear camera system to the clearance lights provides increased control (from the driver's seat) for most situations.

If you have a wired (at least with Rear View Safety systems) to install, the rear camera draws its power from the control unit that is installed in the tow vehicle and controlled by the ignition switch (or the accessory switch) depending on how it's wired during installation. On mine, I wired the RVS system to the #4 accessory switch on the dash. That way I can turn the system on/off depending on whether I'm towing with/without the boat behind the fifth wheel. Or, if in traffic, I can turn on the system with a simple "flip of a switch" and have "rear coverage".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
grampscamper

I hope it's wired to the running lights. I will find out when I pick it up.
Thanks for the replies.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
ptooti

We have the 19RB wondering how you made out with the camera I'm going to get one for sure just shopping around at the moment can you tell me does it work good on your 19RB?

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Retired Copper

The observation camera works real good ptooti no problems with the trailer I have. I like it and don`t thinks I will tow without one now.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Pmedic4

When Observation Camera is on

Makes most sense to be connected to the clearance lights, at least to me.

Now, it can be a interesting issue: We left on a trip overcast and early one day, and the camera was working great. About 40 minutes into our travel, the camera stopped working....

Our tow vehicle, probably like most newer vehicles, the RAM has automatic lights that come on as needed. Since it was morning and somewhat overcast the lights had come on and stayed on as we drove, until the sky cleared and the camera went off. The DW is playing with the camera monitor controls, and I'm assuming the connection to the camera came loose. About 10 minutes later, DUH, you have to turn the lights manually to on during daylight hours!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #9
xrated

Another option for controlling the power (12VDC) for a camera is a wirelessly operated 12V switch/relay. These wireless units can be bought in 12v, 120v 5v, and 240v versions. The receiver can be installed in the RV, and it does the actual switching....On Off, while the wireless remote is kept in the truck. They can be configured to turn on and latch (stay on until the button is pushed again to turn it off) our setup for jog (push the button down and hold it and it stays on until you release the button) I have installed two of them over the past several months. One is for the air horn solenoid in my truck (jog setup), and the other one is in my trailer and is used to turn on an LED strip that is under the center section of the sofa (latched configuration)

Here is the ones that I used.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These would be perfect for low current draw applications, such as controlling an observation/rear view camera. They are pretty small and don't have a lot of room in there, so small gauge wire is perfect for this. There are instructions with the unit, and they are pretty decent, but it wouldn't hurt to be at least a little familiar with 12v electrical type work/wiring.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #10
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Makes most sense to be connected to the clearance lights, at least to me.

Now, it can be a interesting issue: We left on a trip overcast and early one day, and the camera was working great. About 40 minutes into our travel, the camera stopped working....

Our tow vehicle, probably like most newer vehicles, the RAM has automatic lights that come on as needed. Since it was morning and somewhat overcast the lights had come on and stayed on as we drove, until the sky cleared and the camera went off. The DW is playing with the camera monitor controls, and I'm assuming the connection to the camera came loose. About 10 minutes later, DUH, you have to turn the lights manually to on during daylight hours!

I have the same camera and a Ram 2500. The observation camera is connected to the trailer running lights. The TV (Ram) headlights or running lights must be on. When they are on the trailer lights will be on which feeds the power to the camera.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #11
Smartin108

I think you will find that if the trailer was factory prepped for the camera, it will be powered from the converter and fused there. It will be powered all the time. If the dealer added the camera mount they likely picked up power from the clearance lights.
Smartin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

Furion's installation instructions indicate that Keystone factory prep is powered from the converter. Mine is always on unless I turn the battery connection off, (just another parasitic battery drain).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
RoscoeV

You should be able to modify it by cutting the wires and splicing them in to the running light.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Happy Dad

Just plugged in ours on the 2019 Cougar 34TSB and it only is powered when the running/clearance lights are on.

What a simple installation. Wow.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Overspray

Our Hideout 5er is always on, I have yet to figure out exclactly where the connection is. Although I do plan on installing a battery shut off switch for when she’s not in use.

I did install mine myself. Dealer wanted to over charge for the camera and another ~$60 IIRC for labor. As I was looking the camper over, the actual Furrion prep cover states “10min install” (maybe 15, I can’t remember). It’s a matter of 4 screws and 1 plug. It’ll be harder to climb up and down a ladder
Overspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
meaz93*

Love my 2018 Outback with the Furrion backup camera prep all ready for plug & play.
Next to the auto leveling system, this observation camera is AWESOME.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180529_101106.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	17335
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
Retired Copper

My passport is connected to the running lights.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
tjkarch60

I just picked up a 2019 Hideout 21FQWE and had already bought a Furrion camera because all the pictures showed a Furrion mount was already installed. Well a Voyager mount was preinstalled on my trailer. I took out the Voyager mount and it was wired to the running lights so it was a pretty easy install. I removed the crimps and put it all back together and I love it. I just had to put some clear RTV to waterproof the gaskets and clearance light and I'm good to go.
tjkarch60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #19
randyrus

In Trailer viewing

I would like to be able to move the monitor into the trailer when parked. Then use the furion cameras like a security system. I want to connect the cameras to a switch (even if I must remember to power it on and off) My trailer came pre-wired to power from the running lights. I'd like to know how to go about re-wiring these to a fused switch.
randyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #20
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
We just purchased a Passport Elite 19RB. We pick it up in a few weeks. One of the first things I want to do is install a Furion observation camera. The trailer comes with the camera prep. I understand it's a plug and play system. The salesman told me the camera will be live all the time. Is this true or does it get power from the running lights?
I have the same system you are looking at. My camper also came pre wired for it. Yes it is plug in. The rear camera you just remove the bracket and will see the wires. Plug it in and reattached it to the camper. The side cameras are also prewired Just remove the bracket on the side markers and slide the camera into it. That’s all is to the install. Yes it does run off of the head lights and the head lights have to be on in order for the cameras to work. I had an issues with mine and after a call to the tech I found out your head lights have be turned on and not set to auto if your vehicle has that option. If you have any problems call the tech line they were very helpful.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote