Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
twvette

Check new fuel stations before using!!!

Luckily I remembered a bad experience I had when purchased a new Weekend Warrior a long time ago when purchased my new Fuzion thius month. Back then the fuel station filled two of my quads with metal shaving and other junk from the manufacturing/assembly process that clogged up my fuel system in one to the point it would not run and not so fun repairs on both (Weekend Warrior luckily paid up). Now, on my new Fuzion 420 I decided to check the fuel station first and almost the same thing but looked more like plastic shavings, particulates, and maybe pipe dope or similar. So much that after letting the fuel settle in a five gallon jug it left about a half inch layer of soot and larger junk too on the bottom. I was able to filter the fuel using socks to save the 30 gallons and not fill up my brand new Maverick X3 with this ****! Complaint is in. Wonder how much **** is in my generator side!? Might want to add an inline filter anyways for long term use but this is annoying have to deal with it again.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
roadglide

Re: Check new fuel stations before using!!!

I had the same experience with the fuel tank on my Th. I syphon the last bit of gas from the tank because the fuel pump has high pick up tube , I pulled my RV over to the marina and filled up with non ethanol fuel and added stabilizer it should be good for a year or 2.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:22 AM   #3
xcntrk

Would love to see pics of the X3! How does it fit in your Fuzion? I can't wait until Can Am releases a 4-seater version - of course then my Fuzion will be too small to haul it.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
twvette

Meant to do a post on fitting the X3 so its here now:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...115#post218115
Old 01-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
mbhunter

So whats the best way to clean out the tank before using? Just picked up a Raptor 362.
mbhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhunter View Post
So whats the best way to clean out the tank before using? Just picked up a Raptor 362.
Doubt there is an easy way. What I have done is filled the tank, pulled the trailer to get it to agitate the entire tank, let it sit leveled or angled towards the tank outlet if possible, pumped five gallons out, let fuel settle in jug for 15 minutes and open and inspect to see how much soot is in the bottom. Mine was a white residue mostly so was not so obvious until it settled and had to look somewhat carefully but will also likely be some other chunkies. Use this fuel for a bon fire or something. Would then filter all of the remaining first tank full one way or another (sock trick at minimum ... real small micron fuel filter likely best). Continue to fill jugs first rather than just put in a vehicle, let them settle, and inspect them to see how it looks.

I did find a solution for a fuel filter that is fairly easy. It a bit bulky but best bang for buck and something I could use long term also as always a good idea to filter after the pump incase its gears or similar start to go. Here are the parts I went with:
Wix filter housing and filter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3/4in NPT to 3/4in tube fittings x2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3/4in flexible tubing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hand tightened hose clamps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I cut two about one foot sections of the flexible tubing to put on each end of the filter. On one end the flexible hose will slip over the end of your fuel station pump nozzle snug. The hose on the other end worked great to just act as a nozzle.

The above works but again is bulky. I take mine off when done but a little annoying as takes some time for the fuel to drain from the filter when stopping. I later did realize the metal straight outlet unscrews from the pump handle so might be a cleaner solution and smaller filter assembly that would work more permanently attached and could add a valve to close it off when done.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
spicercars

I had the same problem and what I did was put a big see threw in line filter before the fuel pump. I keep a couple spares and they are easy to change.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
mbhunter

Thanks for that. I'll do that. Is there a way to easily flush out the tanks first?
mbhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
I had the same problem and what I did was put a big see threw in line filter before the fuel pump. I keep a couple spares and they are easy to change.
Thanks for the post......have you got a link handy that would save some of us lazy folks from having to find them?

Actually, not so much lazy as it is getting one that is already known to work in that application.....size, volume, replacement availability, etc.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
twvette

Finally got around to revisiting this for a better solution. I am well past having manufacturing junk in the tanks but still want a filter as personally also seen these fuel pumps fail and introduce metal shavings, etc and did not want to mess with a spin on filter type as done that in past and a bit of a pain too.

Finally found a small filter. Its from Earl's/Holley and is model 230212ERL. Here is a link but I actually got mine off eBay cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/Earls-Perform...=230212+filter

It is 12An fittings on it which are nice as nope tape/swivels and then just went to 3/4in barb and hose clamps to simply splice in my hose. These adapters are also avaialble from Earls and are part 700113. Link but again found these MUCH cheaper on eBay:
https://www.amazon.com/Earls-700113-...70_&dpSrc=srch

It seems to be of minimal flow restriction. It seemed to be about 3 gallons a minute and I think that was about the same as before.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	16549   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	16550   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	16551  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
mikz86ta

Very nice!

Is it me or could they have added a few more inches tall and wide so you don't have to cram the hose in that tiny box....
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel