Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Way Of Life

Weak Winterization Flow

Winterized our 2015 Fuzion today and was less than impressed with the winterization option installed on our coach.

My disappointment stems from the weak flow of RV antifreeze that is drawn in by the water pump. Was able to get a small trickle of antifreeze through all the water lines but nothing real impressive for flow. Did notice what seems to be a check valve in the inlet connection. Was unsure how to create any flow from the beginning so I inserted a cone shaped screen washer which would depress the valve and was able to get the flow started but as I mentioned; nothing more than an intermittent purge along with plenty of air.

Any thoughts to increase flow? Also what are others using to depress the check valve to get the pump started?
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
gtsum2

I need to do mine here after a few more trips and would like info on this as well
Old 10-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #3
rcbufalino

Just an FYI, I have a 2012 Fuzion 412. Have done the winterization my self for the past three years, this being the third. things were going well when all of the sudden flow went to a trickle. First suspicion was bad pump. I decided to have a local dealer look at it assuming there was a pump issue. They completed the process, stating no problems with pump. When I asked their opinion the thought it could have become air-bound. The elevated the solution container above the fitting where the hose goes into the panel and all was good. Don't know if I completely agree but I do not have another explanation.
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (His)
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (Her)
1999 Yamaha Venture Royal Star
:USA2
rcbufalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm sure there are a lot of different reasons why the "slow flow" or "no flow" happens, but this year, for the first time, I had problems getting the antifreeze to flow. It would start, then suddenly just stop, for what seemed like no apparent reason.

While troubleshooting, I found that the hose I was inserting into the antifreeze container was vibrating as the pump ran. About halfway through the gallon of antifreeze, the hose would "suck to the bottom" of the container and flow would stop. I looked at the hose, found that it was cut "straight across" and when it got in the right position, flow would stop. My fix was to cut the end of the hose at a 45 degree angle. That solved my problem and I finished winterizing.

I don't know if any others might have this problem, but sometimes something as simple as how the hose end is cut can make all the difference.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
spicercars

I have had the same problem the last three times I have winterized mine. Here is what I do when I winterize mine. Empty the water tank, blow out the line from the city water connection to the water tank then hook up the winterize hose and switch the valve to winterize and that's when I have the low flow problem. I figured it out this year. I shut the winterize switch off, filled the water tank from the city connection just enough so the water pump would pump water threw the system and ran water threw all the faucets shower and toilet. This is all done with the water heater in the by pass. Now I put the winterize hose in a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze in it and turned the winterize switch on and then turned the pump on and it worked like a charm. When I am done with that then a drained the water tank and blew out the line. I cant explain why it works but I have done it twice and it worked both times. Give it a try. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Way Of Life

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for their info and ideas.

Several of the thoughts truly make sense and often overlooked.

I also received an idea from a Facebook group I'm part of and that was to use a submersible pump to feed the antifreeze to the coach.

I will now have several things to try.....Thanks again everyone.....This is what makes this forum so valuable.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Fuzion342

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have learnt a lot from floating around. I had the same issue with my 2014 Fuzion 342. On the winterize valve my o ring had a small tear in it and wouldn't pick up any antifreeze, changed out the valve with a new one and it worked perfect.
Fuzion342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
Stro1965

I'm new as well and have been fighting this issue on my Fuzion 325. No matter what I try I cannot get the pump to pull antifreeze. I ended up using a submersible pump and pushing it through the city water connection. I'll have the dealer look at (under warranty) when it goes in for something else next week.
Stro1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
skidooxman

Weak Winterization Flow

I had the same issue on my 345. I added a second washer to the inlet female and it solved the problem. The leak was so minor I couldn't hear it yet it drew enough air to reduce the vacuum of anti-freeze

Sent by my German Shepherd
Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Steve S

These pumps aren't the worlds best and if any amount of air gets into them the pressure just drops. Check to make sure that all connections are tight or the easy way is to just pump it through the city inlet.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
MBD

use a smaller diameter suction hose

Being frugal (cheap) I try to do everything myself - I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself. When I moved to a 5th wheel from a bumper pull, I got the convenience center. The first couple of times I winterized, no problems. This year I was in a hurry to beat an early cold front. I couldn't find my antifreeze suction hose in my stix/brix garage and wasn't sure if it was in the trailer. I stopped at my favorite big box store and bought a 3/4 hose fitting with a single barb 5/8 fitting. The orange big box store no longer sells hose by the foot and I was stuck buying a pre-cut length of 5/8 i.d. hose. Put it all together with a hose clamp. Couldn't get the pump to draw antifreeze for any amount of money. If I poured the antifreeze into the hose, the pump would suck it up.

To get to the end of the story, the pump was fine. The size of my hose was too big (never thought that would be a problem). Dug around and found 1/4 inch fuel line and a spare outdoor shower hose fitting. Pump immediately began to draw antifreeze.

Once the pump starts to draw antifreeze, I don't have any issues with air. I do have to keep in mind the size of the suction line in comparison to the PEX piping. As long as the suction source contains antifreeze the pump will expel air in the piping and put the antifreeze where it belongs. Also keep in mind that prior to pumping the antifreeze, all of the water has been drained from the system and has been replaced by air. Whether you are winterizing with antifreeze or refilling the system with water, you will have to displace the water in the lines.

Good luck!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote