Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Tbos

Awnings and the wind?

How high do you let the winds get before you pull in the awning? We have a manual awning on my Passport 238ML. I put a pair of straps on it to reduce flutter. I have tie down stakes with straps and springs but don't know when or if I should use them. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Its been my experience that manual awnings can handle higher wind speeds than automatic ones. To say how much is too much is a subjective sort of thing. The high end ones with built in wind sensors can be set to a max of 15 MPH if I am remembering right.

I say if it's making noise and moving the trailer it's time to bring it in. I had a manual awning on my previous fiver and used the "deflapper" straps. I didn't bother with tie downs, but I guess they would allow for a little leeway.

In the end you have to decide how much stress your going to allow the fabric, arms and mounting hardware to take. FWIW most vinyl fabrics are under $200.00 and can be replaced fairly easy. Its the hardware that can get expensive and if your not familiar with the steps to change the fabric, it can get expensive in a hurry.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

If your camping in a place that could or will have wind do not leave it out if you leave the camp area. Or you may come back with it ruined. If you new to the area see what others are doing or ask. If most have them out, likely OK if, none do there is a reason.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Knowing the prevailing wind conditions in the area helps. Some places are prone to strong, gusty afternoon winds. Others are subject to changing direction of the wind - especially areas near larger bodies of water. Here, you can expect both on shore and off shore breezes or windy conditions.

Sometimes, the wind is blowing directly at the awning and "lifting" it up. At other times the wind is coming from the opposite side and the awning is more or less protected. It may also blow parallel to the RV and it goes "right through the awning space" with little, if any, effect on the awning.

I almost always put the awning in at night. There's nothing more annoying to have the wind pick up at 3 am in the morning and you can hear the awning flapping about and the awning supports rattling.

Also, when leaving the campsite, I pretty much always either lower the awning down as far as it will go or retract it entirely.

Finally, I use tie downs all the time and use wide strips of inner tube as part of the tie down to allow some stretching of the support ropes. This seems to cut down on the sudden jerk or pull and lesson the shock on the supporting hardware.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
mikey98e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Knowing the prevailing wind conditions in the area helps. Some places are prone to strong, gusty afternoon winds. Others are subject to changing direction of the wind - especially areas near larger bodies of water. Here, you can expect both on shore and off shore breezes or windy conditions.

Sometimes, the wind is blowing directly at the awning and "lifting" it up. At other times the wind is coming from the opposite side and the awning is more or less protected. It may also blow parallel to the RV and it goes "right through the awning space" with little, if any, effect on the awning.

I almost always put the awning in at night. There's nothing more annoying to have the wind pick up at 3 am in the morning and you can hear the awning flapping about and the awning supports rattling.

Also, when leaving the campsite, I pretty much always either lower the awning down as far as it will go or retract it entirely.

Finally, I use tie downs all the time and use wide strips of inner tube as part of the tie down to allow some stretching of the support ropes. This seems to cut down on the sudden jerk or pull and lesson the shock on the supporting hardware.
+1. I didn't bring ours on the last camping trip for one night and don't you know we were woken up at 1 AM because the wind picked up and the awning was flapping.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Tbos

Thanks, my rule of thumb is if its over 10 I like to bring it in. Unfortunately that can mean we can't hang the lights and other stuff. Ended up cancelling a trip this weekend because of hurricane produced heavy rain, winds and flooding. First trip with the trailer we've cancelled. 😢

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #7
{tpc}

I take a look around at what others are doing, and what my weather app says. I will usually leave it out all night, but unless it is particularly calm, I use tie-downs on the ends just in case.

For the most part, unless you have the screw in stakes, the pound in ones like I use are just going to come loose in a real strong wind. They do help me to sleep better with it open, and I figure they might give me just enough time to get everything in, if necessary.

If its already windy or starts to get windy before we leave or go to bed, I don't chance it, I bring it in.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuckster57 touched on the damage to hardware and fabric that can occur: "you have to decide how much stress your going to allow the fabric, arms and mounting hardware to take. FWIW most vinyl fabrics are under $200.00 and can be replaced fairly easy. Its the hardware that can get expensive and if your not familiar with the steps to change the fabric, it can get expensive in a hurry"

What he didn't single out from the hardware is the awning rail that is attached to the trailer sidewall. The awning fabric slides into this rail and takes all the stress from the fabric wanting to separate and "sail" when a gust of wind blows under it. What you hear is the hardware "rattling" and the fabric "flapping". What you don't hear is the awning rail pulling away from the sidewall of the trailer.

If you think about how the awning rail is attached, it's held in place with a number of screws, some in the trailer framework, some just in the FILON sidewall and/or backing luan. There is a butyl tape (or clay caulk) seal between the sidewall and the awning rail. The awning rail will take a "lot of abuse" but is not a "fail-proof" installation. With enough wind gusts, the awning rail will pull away from the trailer creating a potential for water intrusion and the resulting damage.

So, not only is the potential for fabric and/or hardware damage a possibility, but the "unseen" damage that can be done to the awning rail and trailer sidewall should be a consideration. We had a 22' manual awning on our Holiday Rambler. I thought nothing of leaving it out and letting the wind "flap it around" until it got "really loud" then I'd pull the awning in. After about 3 years, we started noticing the floor in front of the entry door was "spongy". Water had been leaking in behind the awning rail, down the aluminum sidewall and had rotted the floor along the entire front half of the trailer. Thankfully we had insurance to cover the damage, but I learned that a "flapping awning" can damage much more than just the fabric and the hardware. Sometimes, unseen damage can be more of a problem than a bent side support or a torn fabric. Using tie-downs will stop some of the "rattling and flapping" but they won't stop the stress on the awning rail.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Desert185

As a relatively new guy to trailering (I've had motorhomes) and awnings, I have adopted the following:

*Never leave sight of the trailer with the awning out.
*When it begins to flap a bit, bring it in (this covers upwind/downwind positioning regardless of wind velocity).
*At night, bring it in.
*If the awning is retracted when wet, air it out at the first possible opportunity.
*I never tie mine down, avoiding untying it and having to bring it in during a strong wind.

But that's just me...YMMV.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
twindad99

Wind (or rain)

This discussion reminded me of an incident we had one night a number of years back while camping in East Texas. We were camping with another family and a couple of the teenagers had set up a small tent between the two sites (downhill from mine). At some point during the night a thunderstorm rolled throught and filled our awning with water to the point of failure. The resulting flash flood scored a direct hit on the tent and its occupants. The kids still remember that night.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
bmach

That is funny. Bet they did not think so when it happened though.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #12
RavensFan24

I've had a manual awning on my old Keystone and now an automatic awning on the new one. I think the manual one was steadier in winds because it had arms locking it in place. The automatic one has a strut that flexes with the wind. I hate that because if a gust comes in, the whole awning picks up in the air and acts like a sail before settling back down. This feels like a recipe for disaster, but when it's not normally high wind and a storm is rolling in or something and youg et hit with a gust it could cause damage. I've been thinking of tying it down or finding a way to stabilize it more to avoid any potential damage.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Share...205_164040.jpg
RavensFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan24 View Post
I've had a manual awning on my old Keystone and now an automatic awning on the new one. I think the manual one was steadier in winds because it had arms locking it in place. The automatic one has a strut that flexes with the wind. I hate that because if a gust comes in, the whole awning picks up in the air and acts like a sail before settling back down. This feels like a recipe for disaster, but when it's not normally high wind and a storm is rolling in or something and youg et hit with a gust it could cause damage. I've been thinking of tying it down or finding a way to stabilize it more to avoid any potential damage.

Good point, I had not thought about how the manual could be stronger than the automatic.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
PaulDeb2

Are there any decorative lights that you can use that will allow the awning to be pulled in and out without disconnecting?
2011 Bullet 294BHS
2013 Suburban 4WD 1500 LTZ
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Desert185

Funny. My version of decorative lighting is the stars...if I can see them.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
GaryWT

Not sure what the wind speed is this weekend but it seems to be coming off the ocean. We have kept the awning closed most of the time just because we don't want to deal with any issues.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Tbos

A friend of mine installed LEDs on his TT so he no longer had to worry about hanging lights. I've seen LEDs that can go in the track on awning roller. Then you just unplug and roll. Have not tried them.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
bp926

Several years back we had an Outback with a manual awning. 3am one morning with a fairly strong gust of wind I heard a loud noise. Our awning was laying over our entire trailer. The next day it took several hours for 3 of us to remove it.
Since we have a Bullet with a power awning which it takes 5 minutes to remove the lights and bring in the awning in at the least wind. I don't care for the problems it created.
bp926 is offline   Reply With Quote