Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #21
GrumpyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
We had a problem leaving water in our Cougar 21RBS toilet and couldn't keep clothes hanging in the rear wardrobe to the point we were covering the bowl with saran wrap and using a piece of black foam pipe insulation split in half lengthwise wedged between the clothes rod and ceiling.

Then the last long tow all the problems disappeared. Here are the two changes we made prior to our trip;
(1) upgraded our trailer tires to G rated Maxxis, balanced and max cold inflation.
(2) ran with 1/3 tank fresh water (tank located forward of the axles).
Which was the solution? One or both? Don't know but it was a marked change and we did many miles on dirt roads along the way. We didn't have a single problem with either in over 2500 miles of towing.
Was your fresh water tank more or less full before these changes? Helps to know if you increased to 1/3 or decreased to 1/3 to improve the ride.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
scott24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyG View Post
Made a difference for better or worse? Was your gray tank more or less full before?
We had always had it empty. I wondered what it would do to the ride with more weight in the back. Made for a really nice ride. We went to a campground that was an hour and a half away. Next trip out, left the tank empty. Pulled much more nicer with the gray tank at 1/3.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #23
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyG View Post
Was your fresh water tank more or less full before these changes? Helps to know if you increased to 1/3 or decreased to 1/3 to improve the ride.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. We have always towed with near empty tanks, starting with 5 gallons in FW tank for cooking, washing and toilet use when traveling. Never wanted to deal with unnecessary weight. Our Western Edition has a 60 Gallon FW tank so we last towed with 20 gallons+ and noticed a difference but I believe the tire change helped as well. The Maxxis tires have a noticeably better profile.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #24
mfifield01

It seems odd that Keystone put load range D tires on the 23RB. They put load range C on trailers that have a higher weight capacity.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #25
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
It seems odd that Keystone put load range D tires on the 23RB. They put load range C on trailers that have a higher weight capacity.
I am happy they did.

I suspect the 15 inch D range is part of the Elite trim level.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I am happy they did.

I suspect the 15 inch D range is part of the Elite trim level.
Slow is correct. From what I can find, the Passport Express (entry level) and Grand Touring (upgrade level) are both equipped with 14" LRC tires. Only the Elite series trailers are equipped with the 15" LRD tires.

It's pretty much a matter of "pay more/get more". All manufacturers offer "upgraded equipment for additional cost" and "less equipment/upgrades" on the standard models. It's more a matter of positioning sales prices in a "price point" with the competition. That's a marketing strategy that all manufacturers use.

Pretty much the same as Ford's XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum lines on the Superduty. What's "standard" on the "high end models" may not even be available on the "entry level models". That includes tire/wheel options as well as other upgrades. As an example, you can't even order an XL superduty with leather seats and navigation package, but those are "standard" on the Platinum. (So is the extra $20K sticker price)

All of the tires meet "minimum standards" (some just barely) but to "exceed standards" means optional packages from the factory and more money from the buyer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote