Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
cruisegrandma

Question Newbie in PA with a few questions

My husband and I are very new to camping. I think we have decided on the Pasport 23RB. Not too big and not too small. Just right for a couple of retirees with two dogs. Now we are looking for a truck to pull it. We are looking at a Ford F150, 6 cylinder with ecoboost and 4wd. We know very little about trucks (trailers for that matter), but everyone says don't trust the dealers, because they just want to sell you something. I know that is true, but there must be a hope that you will be a return customer. Also, even it it is ok to haul our trailer, how will it be going up and down mountains? Thanks for any advise.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisegrandma View Post
My husband and I are very new to camping. I think we have decided on the Pasport 23RB. Not too big and not too small. Just right for a couple of retirees with two dogs. Now we are looking for a truck to pull it. We are looking at a Ford F150, 6 cylinder with ecoboost and 4wd. We know very little about trucks (trailers for that matter), but everyone says don't trust the dealers, because they just want to sell you something. I know that is true, but there must be a hope that you will be a return customer. Also, even it it is ok to haul our trailer, how will it be going up and down mountains? Thanks for any advise.
You will enjoy the 23RB. We certainly enjoy ours.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 23RB is heavy on the tongue when loaded and quickly eats up available payload of the TV. I suspect the F150 Eco Boost will have no problems "pulling" the 23RB especially in the hills with the turbos. But unless you get the heavy duty payload option (not to be confused with the max trailer tow option which is included with the HD payload option), you will probably be exceeding the usually configured F150s payload capacity that you find on a dealer's lot. Having said all this, many report that they have no problems towing although they exceed the payload capacity. Each owner has to manage their anxiety to their comfort level.

For reference, our 23RB ready to camp is about 840 lbs on the tongue with a 1/3 of a fresh water tank. Add another 160 lbs if full of fresh water.

When looking at the F150 or any other truck, check the payload capacity on the sticker you will find it on the driver's door pillar. It needs to be greater than the tongue weight, and the weight of what you are putting in the truck and your body weights.

Our previous 2WD F150 had 1840 lb payload capacity and most of it was eaten up quickly. When we decided to upgrade, we went with a 4WD F250 for the payload capacity (2660 lbs). Now I do not do mental calculations as to what I can carry in the truck's bed because I have more than enough payload. The receiver on the F250 is now my limiting condition.

I also like the idea of having a tow vehicle that is heavier than the trailer I am pulling.

I hope our experience is of some value as you make your TV decisions.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
GrumpyG

I have had a 23RB for just over a month now. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. As you said, perfect for a couple and some pets.

I pull mine with a 2007 F150 and it is more than adequate. If you purchase the Ecoboost F150, that's even better. My dealer included a Husky TS WD hitch and it works great. I added a Husky Brute electric tongue jack with remote, and a slide topper.

Great camper. Good luck with yours!

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
cruisegrandma

Thanks GrumpyG. That's great news. I'm sure we will love it.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
cruisegrandma

Experience is ALWAYS of great value. I appreciate your input. Never having a truck or a camper before puts us at a double disadvantage.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
SteveC7010

I did a quick scan of the 2015 F150's tow ratings. You have to look at Ford's towing charts very carefully to match up engine, wheel base, cab style, and 2x or 4x. Some of the Ecoboost combinations come in way under your trailer's GVWR of 6,800#. Many of them are around 7,200 max and in my long experience, that's probably not enough of a safety margin. General rule of thumb is 15 to 20% more truck pulling capacity beyond the trailer's GVWR. So you'd shoot for a minimum tow capacity of 7,800# or better.

Gearing of the truck will matter too. There are tons of threads already here about matching a tow vehicle to a trailer. I hope you'll find and read through some of them. Lots of detailed info there. Many of the terms and abbreviations are discussed and explained as well.

There's lot of big hills in Pennsylvania. Many years ago, I towed down there twice with an under powered truck and would not do it again. As many of the folks here will tell you, if your tow vehicle is under powered, you will not be happy. If I was buying a new truck to go with your choice of trailer, I'd be looking at the V8 options.

One other point, your next trailer is almost certain to be larger than this one so you want your tow vehicle to be able to pull it safely, too. (The voice of experience speaking here. I have a 5,500# GVWR trailer that I was perfectly happy with, and then DW saw this 36' fifth wheeler....)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
cruisegrandma

Thank you for the response SteveC7010. Again, I bow to experience. We started out looking for 8's, but the dealer made the f150 ecoboost sound so appealing and preferring a smaller size we considered it for purchase. I think I posted in the right place. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Javi

Welcome to the forum and just a word of warning about the tow vehicle. While the E-boost is adequate for the 23RB, if you're like most of us you'll soon be looking for a little bigger trailer and the E-boost just won't cut it..

Take this for what it cost you... but there are hundreds of threads on here about just what I'm saying... including a couple of mine.

Even though I've been camping for years and even worked in the industry for a few years back in the early 80's I made the mistake of buying an F-150; then a year later we upgraded the trailer... then I bought an F250... then two years later I bought a 5th wheel... and guess what... I had to buy a dually to pull it.. Thankfully I'm done with buying and trading trucks now but the STUPID TAX I paid was a big chunk of my savings...

Moral.... Plan ahead
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
cruisegrandma

Thanks Javi, We're moving on to a V8 I think, because of the feedback. Planning ahead... good advice.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Wantoride

We have a 2014 23rb and love it. Just 2of us and a dog. I don't see us going bigger unless we go full time and that's probably not going to happen, and if it does it will be time for a new tv anyway.i initially pulled the passport with a 2010 Chevy 8 cyl. Long story short the Chevy had to go. I took the plunge to the ecoboost after reading reviews and personal reviews from current owners. All were positive. The Chevy struggled up western Maryland mountains. 40-50 tops. The ecoboost breezes up the hills. I gave it a workout in the Catskills and it pulled like a dream. It's my daily ride so 1/2 ton was my choice. If the TV was just for towing I'd go 3/4 diesel. The ecoboost when not towing is great at merging in traffic at 70+ mph whereas the Chevy was a nail biter. Only short coming with 1/2 ton trucks is the payload. If you go ecoboost get the maximum payload.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
dcg9381

Ford publishes tow ratings for their trucks. The tow rating will change with the configuration - cab configuration and trim level. The more cab you get and the more options you get, the less they tow.

Here's where you should look: http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

My understanding is that the ecoboost may make more torque down low than the V8, which is a pretty odd statement. I've never driven one, but I've talked to people that really like them and I've talked to people who would never consider one. Both the ecoboost and V8 have impressive tow ratings for gas motors - well over 10k lbs.

At the high end of the tow spectrum you're looking at a difference of 13k to 16k lbs (rated) between the ecoboost and V8. It's not a huge difference. I am surprised that they tow that much.. They've come a long way.

I would drive both and decide what you like. Two advantages of the Ecoboost that I can think of:
1) Better mileage when not towing.... Marginally better.
2) A turbo will definitely do better in the mountains than the 5.0L motor. The 5.0L will lost power as you climb in altitude and the Ecoboost compensates via that turbo charger. Literally, the ecoboost will put down more power at the top of a high pass than that V8.. And it could be substantially more. If mountains were in the future, I'd go turbo.

And not that you asked, but I really like the Dodge Eco diesel in the 1/2 ton truck. It comes up shorter in terms of tow capacity (about 9k) - but it can get almost 30mpg on the highway. It would be my truck of choice for "regular" loads and everyday driving. It's not a good choice if you go to a bigger trailer later.

As mentioned above half ton trucks will not do the job if you go "all in" and upgrade to a big 5th wheel. You'll have to start over, eat the tax, eat the depreciation, and buy another one.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
cruisegrandma

Thanks Wantoride. We have friends that happen to be camping now and his neighbor pulled in with the Ford F-150 ecoboost. He said pretty much the same thing as long as the back end was up to snuff. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
cruisegrandma

DCG9381~~~ Love the Ford site. Answers a lot of questions. Thanks for the add'l input from your prospective. I try to be energy conscious (unless it comes to air conditioning!).
Old 08-14-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
sarossi14

We have a Passport 3220BH which we picking up in the fall last year. I am pulling it with a 2015 F150 with the 3.5L Eco Boost. The truck has 3.55 gear ratio in it with the trailer tow package. It is the supercrew cab. According to Ford the truck is rated to pull 10700lbs.

All that being said when with the trailer loaded, the wife, 2 kids and the dog, the truck has no problems pulling the trailer up and down the hills or where ever I am going. The truck is really nice to drive and there is lots of room for my family.

I don't think you would have any problems pulling your RV. Enjoy your new truck and trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sarossi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #15
slow

To summarize my thought process when making our buying decision this spring:

* If TV will be daily driver, go F150. If for towing only (as is our case) go F250 (fits in our garage) or F350 (does not fit in our garage).

* If going F150: go EcoBoost with HD Payload Package (not 5 lt V8). This is important IMO. Otherwise you will end up adding new LT tires and air bags relatively soon and will be more sensitive to hitch adjustment and will not be happy with the rear end gearing.

* If you do not want to worry about payload, being wagged by the tail (trailer), want a worry free towing experience when the wind picks up or if you may want to upgrade trailers in the future, go F250 or 350.

* If you have the financial means and have hills/mountains (we do not), go diesel.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #16
cruisegrandma

Thanks everyone for your input. We live in a condo with underground parking (we can park in the lot, but who wants to?). The F150 will fit much easier and we will be using it for a 2nd car, so everyday mileage is a consideration. So taking all of this wonderful input, we are going to look at the Ford F150 Eco boost with HD Payload. Thank you everyone. I'm going to love this site.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
bill-e

You cant go wrong with the Ford. I decided on the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel because comfort and mileage were my #1 concerns as I tow maybe a dozen times a year.

I am towing a Cougar 26RBI which is more trailer than two people will ever need (me, wife and rat terrier) It is a loaded trailer and weighs in at 6030 dry. I just got back from a 4 day trip to upstate Vermont, 3 hour ride on I 91 which is very hilly. The Ram pulled it like it wasn't there, Never once did I have to floor it, drove the entire way with little pedal.

Compared to empty and towing this same trailer on the flat, the fuel mileage wasn't great at 13mpg but I bet it would still beat out any other 1/2 ton by a couple mpg. The flat trip I took with this same trailer came out to 15mpg and my previous trailer gave 17mpg on two campouts.

My truck is a 4x4 Crew Cab so I gave up a lot of capacity to style and options. It is rated to tow 7800lbs and a 1000ish lb tongue weight. Gearing is 3.55. This truck unloaded has returned 33mpg once, 30mpg driving at 55 on the highway and averages about 26mpg with country road driving...and it rides like a car.

The only add-on I installed was air bags, cost me $350 and I use them to take the bounce out of the coil springs (that's why it rides like a car) I've towed both with and without the bags and I really don't notice much of a difference but admittedly I haven't had it out in windy conditions.

Just providing another truck option for you. I'm in love with mine.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #18
beermanjoe

Make sure when you go looking for that new truck,that you get the built in factory brake controller.I`m sure just about every truck with the HD towing will already have it,but you better check.
beermanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisegrandma View Post
The F150 will fit much easier and we will be using it for a 2nd car, so everyday mileage is a consideration. So taking all of this wonderful input, we are going to look at the Ford F150 Eco boost with HD Payload. Thank you everyone. I'm going to love this site.
I'm probably not going to change your mind about the F150 or any 1/2T since it will be adequate for your present RV. If you are quite sure you are not going to succumb to "one footitis" like most of us do and start looking at a bigger RV then you should be good to go with that particular tow vehicle.

However, if you think you just might consider "moving up" to something larger down the road then, as Javi pointed out in his post, far better (and cheaper) to "plan ahead". Half tons are ok for many applications but not for all. Good now but not so good later.

Some will tell you that their 1/2T will pull their 30ft+ trailer just fine - no problem at all. Not something I would recommend but to each his own.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
bmach

If you are going with the F150 get the 3.5 Eco it will out pull the 8. Another plus is you won't be running 4500 rpm going up hills. We pull a 2510rb with our Eco and it tows great. Never any pushing when being passed by truck or busses. The highest rpm was 2600 up hill.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23rb, f150, ford