Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
firekat96

stereo system in 357

In our unit the stereo system has 2 switches to cut speakers on/off, one for the garage and one for outside. My problem is we like the outside speakers louder, this is fine until you need to go in and then you need earplugs.
Is it not any way to cut off the speakers in the living room??

I was almost to the point this past week camping I stated to pull the radio out and just unhook the living room speakers altogether but that would cut the sound for the DVD player then.
Any suggestions to this?

2006 Dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 Laramie
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
spicercars

Every Keystone product that I have owned is the same way. We don't even use the outside speakers any more because of it. Just use a boombox.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 AM   #3
firekat96

We had a 2012 Cougar before this and I could cut the inside speakers off from the control panel.

I'm wondering if I could add a switch in line myself and cut them off? I did this on one of my boats before so I could cut the speakers off in the cabin when the little one was asleep. May try it soon.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Rhinoone82

The stereo on My Impact 311 has selections for inside, subwoofer, and outside. SO we get to choose where we want the sound.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
gtsum2

Use the soundbar to control the interior volume separately from the outside or garage speakers
Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 View Post
In our unit the stereo system has 2 switches to cut speakers on/off, one for the garage and one for outside. My problem is we like the outside speakers louder, this is fine until you need to go in and then you need earplugs.
Is it not any way to cut off the speakers in the living room??

I was almost to the point this past week camping I stated to pull the radio out and just unhook the living room speakers altogether but that would cut the sound for the DVD player then.
Any suggestions to this?
Yes its very simple.
Grab a volume control nob from radio shack or internet and wire it in next to the speaker switch. Just undo the 4 screw holding the panel on , drill a small hole and mount the switch next to or on the panel, then splice it in to the switch. took me about 10 mins.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
firekat96

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
Yes its very simple.
Grab a volume control nob from radio shack or internet and wire it in next to the speaker switch. Just undo the 4 screw holding the panel on , drill a small hole and mount the switch next to or on the panel, then splice it in to the switch. took me about 10 mins.

Splice it into which switch?

And I don't have a sound bar so that's not a option.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
TheCabralFamily

We have the 2011 raptor and there is a control module under the sink where we can control the individual zone volumes. You may have the same system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheCabralFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Face Down

The stereo that came with our Carbon's is pretty much crap....I have never heard of the BOYO brand before. I plan to pull it out and put in a Sony or Pioneer that at least has Bluetooth. At that time I will also add an additional switch to turn off/on the main cabin speakers, a sub and an amp. I already play the DVD's through an XBOX that stays in the camper and plan to add a Sound Bar just for the TV. Going into the Carbon I knew that some of the components were sub-standard compared to what comes in a Raptor or Fuzion...and I am alright with that as I paid 20K less than one of those and can add to what I see fit and spec it out better to fit my needs.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
firekat96

Don't have anything like that under the sink area.

Face down I had thought about replacing the unit as well. It works great other than the volume control for the living area. We thought the same way when we decided on our Carbon, it was nothing in the other ones that were worth $20k more to me to justify it.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
dcg9381

Same issue with our 327. 6 speakers with 2 swtiches. Switches turn on garage and outside.

Testing it, with balance and fade, I can fade it to the garage, but the living room seems to be tied in with "outside" and you can't really change the volume between the living room and outside.

You could install a resistance based speaker volume control for the "living room" speakers and deal with it that way.

Our our setup, eventually the solution is going to be installing 3 separate audio amps. Nothing huge, just dedicated 20-30 watt deals all with their own on/off switch in that panel. They'd be individually gain adjusted.

Still sorting a few other bugs out first.. and need to drop the belly pan to see how big a mess the factory wiring is.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
firekat96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Same issue with our 327. 6 speakers with 2 swtiches. Switches turn on garage and outside.

Testing it, with balance and fade, I can fade it to the garage, but the living room seems to be tied in with "outside" and you can't really change the volume between the living room and outside.

You could install a resistance based speaker volume control for the "living room" speakers and deal with it that way.

Our our setup, eventually the solution is going to be installing 3 separate audio amps. Nothing huge, just dedicated 20-30 watt deals all with their own on/off switch in that panel. They'd be individually gain adjusted.

Still sorting a few other bugs out first.. and need to drop the belly pan to see how big a mess the factory wiring is.
You have other wiring issues that require you to drop the belly pan?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
dcg9381

Quote:
You have other wiring issues that require you to drop the belly pan?
No. However, it's on my "to-do" list in terms of proactively looking for problems. I found a few wires that were not properly protected when passing through to the exterior of the RV and fixed those things. I suspect that some wiring will be hanging down and perhaps some will not be positioned well for long term traveling... Just a general RV thing.

It allows me to also look at how 12v power is distributed.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
J-Dub34

So does the Carbon 357 have a hidden subwoofer, or just the six speakers?
J-Dub34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 AM   #15
matty8734

In my Carbon i completely removed that BOYO crap and installed a Pioneer unit with BT, HD radio and satellite radio. I also fabricated a new face/switch panel which controls the living room, garage, and outdoor speakers all separate from one another. I also added a master power switch and a 12v accessory plug so we can charge cellphones/ iPods without using the generator. All the interior speakers were replaced with Kicker 6.5 2ways running on an Alpine 4 channel amp and the outdoor speakers will be replaced this year with WetSounds 8" running on a standalone amp
matty8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
firekat96

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8734 View Post
In my Carbon i completely removed that BOYO crap and installed a Pioneer unit with BT, HD radio and satellite radio. I also fabricated a new face/switch panel which controls the living room, garage, and outdoor speakers all separate from one another. I also added a master power switch and a 12v accessory plug so we can charge cellphones/ iPods without using the generator. All the interior speakers were replaced with Kicker 6.5 2ways running on an Alpine 4 channel amp and the outdoor speakers will be replaced this year with WetSounds 8" running on a standalone amp

How did you do the switches to run them all separate?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8734 View Post
Sounds awesome....mind posting a pic?
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
matty8734

i will try and get Pics when i get home today...the amp is mounted behind a panel thats not easy to take off so you wont see it...
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
matty8734

Quote:
How did you do the switches to run them all separate?
the switches are just 12v mini switches that remove the speakers from ground so they shut off...