Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #21
Robear

Thanks again Bill,
I don't have any cables at the top of my slide. Looking underneath it seems to be a gear driven track. Interesting video though. I'm kinda happy I don't have to deal with cables!
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
Thanks again Bill,
I don't have any cables at the top of my slide. Looking underneath it seems to be a gear driven track. Interesting video though. I'm kinda happy I don't have to deal with cables!
I have a gear driven slide; motor has a sprocket with teeth that engage teeth on the rail. Some folks have a hole in the side of their camper for a long extension to turn the nut on the back of the motor. I don't and would need to get under the camper and use a ratchet and socket; not enough room for a drill as the nut is pretty close to the hard underside. I know where this is because I looked and hope I never have to ratchet the slide in or out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #23
Robear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have a gear driven slide; motor has a sprocket with teeth that engage teeth on the rail. Some folks have a hole in the side of their camper for a long extension to turn the nut on the back of the motor. I don't and would need to get under the camper and use a ratchet and socket; not enough room for a drill as the nut is pretty close to the hard underside. I know where this is because I looked and hope I never have to ratchet the slide in or out.
Well that pretty much confirms it for me. Hope I never have to use the hatch underneath!
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
bill-e

It seems that every slide system has their negatives and it is amazing to me that there are so many variations.

It's kind of like the electric awning...I hate mine because it is no way as sturdy as my old manual one and if it craps out when extended you need a step ladder and a drill to get it retracted...I have replaced that motor once though on the Solara awning it's a simple task.

I have a buddy who has a manual slide, no motor to crap out, he just sticks a handle on a bolt head and cranks..seems way safer to me.

I love my camper and really haven't had any issues with it aside from the awning motor but I feel that some day it's going to leave me stranded.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Once upon a time you had to turn a crank handle to start a car. No battery, no starter motor. I prefer to embrace progress by pushing a button myself. To each their own prefrence.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #26
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Once upon a time you had to turn a crank handle to start a car. No battery, no starter motor. I prefer to embrace progress by pushing a button myself. To each their own prefrence.
I do roo, my biggest gripe is with the awning. I go shooting/drinking/camping about a dozen times a year on top of the family camping and I hate not being able to leave my awning out to keep everything dry without the risk of a $1000 replacement. I used to be able to lower it, tie it down and it would withstand just about anything...not so with the electric. I cant tell you the number of electric awnings I've seen flipped over the roof of campers or ripped off but never a properly set up manual one.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

That's definitely the trade-off for the convenience. Old camper with manual awning I've had secured at the ocean with 50 knot einds without issue. Had it tied to screw in anchors with awning arm "deflappers" attached. But after several shoulder and 7 crrvical spine surgeries I prefer to push a button now. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
Well that pretty much confirms it for me. Hope I never have to use the hatch underneath!
On my old 2002 Cougar, the nut that is to be turned is right out in the open; I wish they had drilled through to the outside wheel well area with a hole and provided a long crank handle. In fact we do have the supplied crank handle I believe but you can't use due to lack of clearance.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote