Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
sptddog

Awning LEDs not working...

I have a 2013 Fuzion with the awning LEDs in the roller, not stuck to the side of the camper under the awning. They've been gradually looking less and less happy (a few bulbs out here and there), but they worked fine. This weekend they worked fine 2 nights, but on the third they wouldn't turn on at all. I think I may have pre-empted this, as I got on the roof during the day and took the broom down the top of the awning gutter and cleaned all the gunk out from the trees. Husband thinks I pulled a wire (I, of course, don't think I did, but it's safe to assume I may have, so I'm posting here ) loose. I did go back up on the roof, and there is no obvious wire pulled out, but that doesn't mean one isn't loose.

What I'm looking for help on is whether or not one wire directly runs both sets of lights from a power perspective. Since both are out, it leads me to believe that it's either at the switch, it's at the point where the wire enters the camper and heads for the switch (the front awning I presume), or both light strips just miraculously took a crap at the same time. There are two sets of wires I could have hit, one at the front of the front awning where it enters the camper, or one at the front of the second awning where it enters the camper. I'm not sure which would be the issue, or if it could be either one.

If it is the light strip itself, where does one get replacement strips, and how to they install? Do they just slide into the slit in the awning and have a connector piece that connects to the wiring sewn into the side of the awning? I can't imagine you have to rethread wiring to replace them....

I'd prefer to troubleshoot myself as I know the labor at the dealer is expensive, and if it's a simple check connections, I can have someone more knowledgeable in wiring crawl up there and take a look at them.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
navyav8tr

We have a 2013 Fuzion as well and to say that these LEDs are not good is an understatement. They are probably IP68 rated (waterproof) but as they sit in the roller with moisture there is going to be a lot of moisture creep and possible failure.
If you look on top of the roller bar arms you will see a wire coming into the roller bars which should be for the lights. I would check to see if you are getting 12V of power to the lights (with the switch on) and isolate it to see if it is the lights or power source issue (which I doubt it is).
Our Fusion LED lights have two separate switches for each awning so if you have the same setup and both lights went out I would probably say it is the lights. We had ours replaced while it was under warranty but I fully expect them to fail again.
If you need to replace them don't buy the ones from the camping sites. Way too expensive for what you are actually getting. You can get them for like $10 from Amazon.
Hope this helps.

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift

Retired US Navy S-3B Viking and F/A-18C Hornet Pilot
F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet Simulator Instructor

navyav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
sptddog

I agree that they stink. I don't care for the color of them either - which makes paying to fix them more annoying lol. I will check on them Friday night - weather here is going to be stormy for the next few nights, so that's the soonest I think I'll get a chance. I only have one switch for all of mine - it's in the front next to the main living area lights. Considering that switch for the main lights works fine, I assume too that I knocked the wire loose where the awning bar meets the camper or the lights themselves failed. Is it common for both strips to go out (completely out) at one time? Is there a connector at the roller that ties to the light strip? Or is it just a hardwire together?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
dpcrf450

Interesting, we just came back from a week long trip and noticed several leds not working on our awning as well. So, i guess you have to replace the entire strip on the awning. Is that correct?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen my fair share of awning LED strips go bad, and not just Keystone products. I can't say anyone has come up with a reasonable explanation for this. And yes you have to replace the entire strip, and you can trim off the excess at a certain spot between the lights.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Sonny Copeland

awing lights

Check your fuse first. Only a 2 amp and blows pretty easy.
Sonny Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
sptddog

So...I did check the fuses, couldn't find one for the lights, but I checked them all and none were out. Also checked the power at the strip connector and it appears that the power from the trailer is there, but it was hard getting a solid connection because the holes and prongs were hard to work with. As I was messing with it, the rear awning lights flickered here and there, but not all of them. Eventually the front ones had lights - about 4 of them along the full length of the strip. Then they went out again. I'm guessing it's the lights, so I"m going to order two strips (will need them eventually anyway) and connect them and see what happens. I'm thinking the front strip is out and somehow affects the rear strip. We only have one switch for both sets of lights. If replacing the strip doesn't work, I'll assume there is a short or broken wire that is messing things up.

As for the strip - it's not even a slide in, it's a sticky strip that just lays in a channel and there is an easy connector that is tucked in the awning roller. Easy to replace on your own - def not replacing it at dealer unless it's a wiring issue.