Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
dragracn

Raptor 299 delaminating?

We have been looking a toyhaulers for a while now and have decided we like the Raptor 299mp model. We went to look at one this weekend that has a few issues but the one that has me concerned is the side seems to be delaminating a bit. Its not to the point that they are soft, I cant push them in with my hand but can feel them and see them pretty easily. Is this a big problem or more of a visual imperfection? I have seen it an alot of older models. Does it cause any issues or is it a tell tail of an underlying issue? Here is a pic.
dragracn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
sw342
Permanent User Ban

I am assuming that is the one at a dealer in New Hampshire? What do they say about it when pressed that it doesn't look right? Any bubbles in the Filon/fiberglass and I would be passing. You don't want that headache.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
dragracn

The salesman didn't say much about it when I mentioned it and we were just looking and not too serious yet so I didn't push it. Thats just why we went to look at it was to get info from others about issues we saw instead of relying on salesmans knowledge/reply. It doesn't seem like a bubble, its real solid when pushing on it (of course it was cold out!) suppose it will soften up when warm out? Thank you.

P.S. Hows a guy from CA know about a camper at a NH dealer, lol?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracn View Post

P.S. Hows a guy from CA know about a camper at a NH dealer, lol?
Google image search
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
trueweb

299 is a great RV. We have one and really like the floorplan, storage and overall size. Ours looks very similar on the sides. Not sure how much is "de-laminated" vs just aging of the materials. As you mentioned there is no softness or give under any of the ripples. My guess is it's how the wall is made, I sure hope it's nothing more than that . I'd say almost all of the ones I've seen from '07-'09 look like that. At least the decals on that one are nice!

My one recommendation, looks under the seats in the slide for water damage, if you see any signs be certain it has been resolved and there are no more leaks.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
ocho

I would be cautious of water leaking from the roof and into the sidewalls. Was there any evidence of that? Water stains on the interior walls? Behind or in any cabinets? Have you looked at any other models of this year? Did they have bulges? My first guess is to be very cautions of this one.
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
dragracn

No we have not been to look at any other Raptor 299mp campers. This is the closest one to us we have seen and its still 4.5 hours away. I have looked at a ton of pictures and as "Trueweb" said it seems like alot of them have that same bulge in that same area. I have even seen it on other Raptor models. We didn't see any water staining anyplace in the camper. Only water damage we did see was in the cargo area and was pretty minimal, but then I wasn't sure if that was from a window leak or water from a toy, the previous owner supposedly used it to haul snowmobiles. But the frame had very minimal rust on it, so I'm not sure if I believe that ether? They also said he used it in the summer time for dirtbikes but it has Harley stickers on it so I would assume he hauled a Harley? We have a very old wood studed camper now that has rot in it and was looking pretty hard for signs of water leakage. Is it as big a deal with aluminum studing as long as the leak has been addressed? Like in the cargo area, if it was the window leaking "it looks like it very well could have been" if the window has been sealed, how much of an issue is it? Obviously you dont want it to get in the insulation and ruin that, but in the cargo area even that isn't as big of a deal? I dont want something that has a huge water stain down the bedroom wall, but also dont want to pass on something that may never bother because it was caught quick and is aluminum studed? Thanks for any help!

Trueweb, do you have actual weights from yours loaded?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

The exterior side walls of your Raptor are constructed using aluminum studs and a "sandwich" of rigid foam insulation and luan and the fiberglass skin (filon). If there has been any water penetration the section that is most likely to retain moisture is the luan which may swell and eventually become separated from the insulation and filon exterior coating.

The small sections that you can see and feel may be due to water penetration or the swelling or apparent delamination may be due to defective materials used in the construction - a bad batch of glue for example- or faulty layup/application - not enough glue, eg.

If you have access to a moisture meter, you might want to use one and check for signs of moisture. Before using it, you need to determine a "base" percentage but instructions on how to use one usually come with the unit.

Hopefully, the areas of swelling are "contained and cosmetic" but looking just at photographs it's hard to say exactly what has caused that to happen and if it is something to be concerned about.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
trueweb

I don't have any actual weights. I've been towing with my F250 and honestly it's been quite decent. Pulled it over the mountains here in VA without even breathing hard at highway speed. I generally am just dry camping a night or two so I have a full tank of generator gas, 1/2-3/4 of a tank of water, 2 dirt bikes and other random supplies. I'm probably under 700lbs in the cargo and 700lbs in water and fuel. Take that for what it's worth. I need to find some scales and see where things really are at some point!

My 299 has the creases on both sides in the exact same spot. It's more noticeable on the "passenger" side, similar to what you've shown. On the driver side you can follow the line up and if you draw an imaginary line through the window it actually continues very faintly above the window too.

I think Festus' comment about it being "cosmetic" is probably the case. I've never had any moisture on the bedroom floor, around the window or on the wall inside at that area. I think it's a case of materials aging. Definitely keeping an eye on all those spots on my RV. I've had water in the garage from leaving the top and side vents open during a storm. It made a mess, but it cleaned up easily enough.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
trueweb

Old 02-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Spacetrucker

Don't do it. Bad deal and fixing will be in the $$$$$$ past it by. Look on the Rv link . Good hunting.. Just pick a 2015 raptor 300mp for 29,000 king bed and rear door system. Pick it up in oregon and driving home .will worth the drive out to get and home....have fun all see you all,on the road, some where...
Spacetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
carwheel_09

That could be a broken wall, frame or delamination. If you don't own walk away.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote