Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
ocho

Opinions on Converter/chargers

I haven't yet diagnosed the converter on my 2011 300 MP, but I did check the fuses and they are intact. So Im assuming that the charging portion of the converter is bad. Im doing some research on this and would like the opinions of those here. First, what size or amperage rating converter do I have? And second, who makes the best converter/charger? Thanks
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

What is your problem? Can you provide additional information. From what you provided everything (12VDC) working fine except batteries not being charged?? Checked reverse voltage fuses on converter?, position of your Battery Disconnect Switch? With battery disconnected converter will not charge battery. Would need to check but think converter is a WFCO 6800
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
ocho

It's a new thread based on the other thread, reverse polarity/generator. I don't believe the12 volt side of the transformer is working and the fuses are good. The battery wont stay charged and its new. This weekend I'm going to diagnose it better. I'm just preparing myself for a bad transformer and looking for input on which transformer/charger i should get to replace this one.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
trueweb

Do you have a master switch for the battery? I know my 2008 299MP has one and if that switch is off the RV runs fine on shore power, but it will not charge the battery. I need shore power connected and the battery master switch on for it to charge.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
ocho

I've been hearing that but not sure where it might be located. Any clues?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
I've been hearing that but not sure where it might be located. Any clues?
Mines a push/pull switch on the wall to the right of the living room door as you enter near the floor (close to the fuse box). I suspect it will be different based on where all the components are, but at least that's something to look for.

When it's pushed in it's off (disconnected) when it's pulled out it's on (connected).
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Battery Disconnect Switch is located on street side convenience center. It should be a red key switch along with all the other control switches for the rig. Key switch must be inserted and turned to the lock position(key can not be removed). In that position your converter will be connected to the batteries and if working correctly will charge your batteries.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
ocho

Ill check but i can't recall that red switch or any disconnect. Does it have to have one? Any thought s on brands of transformers in the event i gotta replace mine?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Switch is labeled "BATTERY DISCONNECT" and yes as labeled key switch should be in the ON position. I will see if I have a picture. Think you said you have a 2011 300mp would be surprised if yours was in a different location. Well after reading others comments may be not

You keep bringing up this 12V transformer, not sure what you are referring to?? In our rig 12V DC comes from our batteries (no shore power) or the Converter when connected to shore power. When connected to shore power and the converter working and Battery Disconnect Switch in on position as labeled, the converter will charge the batteries. If Battery Disconnect in off position and converter working 12V DC will be supplied to the rig but the batteries will not be charged.

Hope this helps, there have been a few posts addressing the position of the Battery Disconnect Switch. Can use search to find previous posts

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
trueweb

To add to PARAPTOR's comments.

I don't believe you have a problem with your converter. The reason is this. The converter will generate 12-14 volts when connected to shore power. If your batteries are "dead" or disconnected and you connect to shore power and you can operate your awning, furnace blower, slide, etc... then your converter is correctly converting 120V AC to 12V DC as those are all 12V items. If the disconnect is connected then it will also charge your batteries.

If, when connected to shore power, none of your 12V accessories work, then you may have a problem. Might also be worth making sure your getting 12+V using a multimeter.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
abneynormal

if its a wfco

my 2011 went through 2 75 amp wfco's they start making a sizzling noise under load and finally burn out. I opted for a progressive dynamics 80 amp converter with charge wizard. I have been happy and it keeps your batteries charged. note keep your water checked.