Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Flabbytax

Still on the fence about the triple axle units.

It will be probably a year or so before I make my choice but I am slowly narrowing down my choices for 5th wheel TH's and have it down to a few: Raptor 415TS, Cyclone 4200, and the Elevation TF3810. I know these are very different units but these are my favorite floorplans. I know this is a KEYSTONE forum but does anyone have experience with Heartland or CrossroadsRv units? I have only physically been in a few toyhaulers, the Fuzion and fuzion chrome. Anyone have advice about which one they would go with? I see WAY more Raptors out there then any other and would feel safer choosing one over the CR or Heartland but I love the other 2 floorplans. The CR forums are filled with complaints of slide issues and roof issues which worries me. The heartland seems too new to have any good/bad which worries me even more. The main thing that worried me about the Keystone triple axle units was several people reported axles coming off while driving. Any advice or personal experience with any of these issues would be great!
Flabbytax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Flabbytax

I should add I will be full-timing it in my new rig when I get it. Currently living full-time in a 2013 Premier 32BHPR and have had very few issues with it. Compared to our 04 Jayco class C 28 that was nothing but problems from day one I am very impressed with Keystone so far.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
EricLynnAllison

I have over 240 nights and about 16000 miles on my raptor in 3 years with the only major problem was the original tires.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
KanTC

There's probably not going to be huge differences in any of the 3 manufacturers you've mentioned.

Although the construction process may vary slightly from one factory to the next, all 3 are going to have many similarities since the components are chosen from the same select
group of part suppliers. Just make sure that you're comparing apples to apples [same price point, construction/insulation, features & options, warranty, etc, etc] when doing research.
As the saying goes: "The devil is in the details!"

Plus... all 3 manufacturers are owned by the same parent company: Thor Industries
http://www.thorindustries.com/corp/r...ional-vehicles

Happy shopping -
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Flabbytax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLynnAllison View Post
I have over 240 nights and about 16000 miles on my raptor in 3 years with the only major problem was the original tires.
Thats another thing I heard about was the tires. Do you remember how much it was to replace all 6 tires? I've heard the stock tires are prone to blowouts. What did you upgrade to?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
There's probably not going to be huge differences in any of the 3 manufacturers you've mentioned.

Although the construction process may vary slightly from one factory to the next, all 3 are going to have many similarities since the components are chosen from the same select
group of part suppliers. Just make sure that you're comparing apples to apples [same price point, construction/insulation, features & options, warranty, etc, etc] when doing research.
As the saying goes: "The devil is in the details!"

Plus... all 3 manufacturers are owned by the same parent company: Thor Industries
http://www.thorindustries.com/corp/r...ional-vehicles

Happy shopping -
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
I agree. Pick the one you like the best and go for it. Unless you are going to spend significantly more money. they all are built about the same. Out of the 3 though, Crossroads would come in second on my list with Fuzion and Cyclone tied for first. They are all going to produce a lemon once in a while and you just have to hope you don't end up with one.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Somewhere I read that Fuzion was starting to install "G" rated commercial tires/steel valve stems/high pressure wheels on their triple axle units. Not sure about the other brands (or tandem axle units), and not sure about what is currently on dealer lots, so no matter what brand you decide to go with, look at the tires/wheels before you sign the mortgage unless you want to drop $2500 on your way off the lot to get good tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Somewhere I read that Fuzion was starting to install "G" rated commercial tires/steel valve stems/high pressure wheels on their triple axle units. Not sure about the other brands (or tandem axle units), and not sure about what is currently on dealer lots, so no matter what brand you decide to go with, look at the tires/wheels before you sign the mortgage unless you want to drop $2500 on your way off the lot to get good tires.
They started putting the G rated tires on one of the 2 axle haulers last year. Sounds like they might be carrying on the trend then.

As far as dropping $2500 on G rated tires you can do it quite economically for under $1000 with a 2 axle and under $1300 for a 3 axle with the Sailun S637's. No reason to spend over $400 per tire for the Goodyears, when the Sailun's can be picked up for under $200.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Flabbytax

Good to know! I was sketchy about the triple axle units at first because 6 tires would be quite expensive to replace versus 4. I would prefer to get the best tires possible regardless of price but I will have to research those less-expensive ones! Thanks for all the good info!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbytax View Post
Good to know! I was sketchy about the triple axle units at first because 6 tires would be quite expensive to replace versus 4. I would prefer to get the best tires possible regardless of price but I will have to research those less-expensive ones! Thanks for all the good info!
The less expensive Sailun's are turning out to be very good tires. Lots of reviews from people on many RV sites that are running these tires with great success.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
gilpinbrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
The less expensive Sailun's are turning out to be very good tires. Lots of reviews from people on many RV sites that are running these tires with great success.
Yes, those came from the factory on my double axle 371. Very impressive tire for sure!
gilpinbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
chill5500

I understand your concerns as I was too concerned going from a dual axle to a triple axle, but it actually pulls so much better and everything inside is where I left it. I would also like to mention that the 2015 FZ403 Chrome we bought came with "G" rated tires which gives me a warm fuzzy felling when I'm towing 15 to 18,000 lbs of travel trailer down the road @ 70 mph. as far as the money is concerned, no offense but if you are considering buying a Recreational type anything... spend the money up front or spend more money later. Replacing tires really shouldn't be an issue. When I got to thinking about replacing the tires on my dually tow vehicle I started buying tires six months in advance, yep you guessed it one a month for six months and it was like they were free almost..LOL
Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
spicercars

Triple axle is the only way to go with a toyhauler. They tow much better than a double axle and you distribute the load on six tire versus four. I am very happy with our triple and have had no problems.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
b.d.keathley

I currently have the Keystone Cougar 333MKS 2 axle and am going to the Carbon 377 3 axle. The only concern I have is the additional pin weight in bed of 1600 lbs. Im just planning on putting more air in the bags. Also I don't have many miles on the stock tires but the inners wear from sharp turns but I cant remember what brand they were other than they are extremely hard to get from any tire shop and that they are shipped from Florida. The spare I bought for it is called a Transporter and was about $105.00 and the shop said they highly recommend that brand. Looks like it has really good rubber and directional tread pattern.
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
wbatto

2013 381 Fuzion

Hi all,
We have a 381 Fuzion, It has three axels and tows great. It came with steel valve cores and Grand Ride E rated Tires. Are these tires okay or are they prone to blow outs?
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
C130

I think one of the big issues with the triple axles is where you're going to use the toy hauler the most. I'd love to have a larger triple axle but one of my concerns is we use ours at a local state park a lot and not sure how easy (if at all) it would fit in most of the spots. It would definitely limit the spaces we could use and they are hard to get as it is. I've only seen a couple of triple axle toy haulers at the park we visit a lot.

We bought ours thinking we were going to use it mostly for motocross racing and that has not been the case at all. I've seen a newer model two axle Fuzion that has 3 slide outs but looked to be about the same length (35 feet) as my 2011 322TE and really like it and the extra room. My kids want the bunk and I would definitely like the extra room of the larger units but like the maneuverability of my current trailer. I guess it also depends on what you're going to haul and if it would fit in the smaller units.

Those of you with triple axle units, where do you use them most of the time? Any issues fitting in to spots? Personally, I'm not a fan of the RV parks that have the close packed spots and I want to be in the woods, lots of trees when I camp.

There's a very nice 5th wheel stored where I keep my toy hauler that is a two axle unit but has dual wheels on each axle side. I have not seen that before but it's a very nice looking unit, full body paint also. Just looks weird with the dual wheels on each axle.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
LittleJoe

Those dual wheeled trailers (8 tires) pull very hard in comparison to single wheels per axle.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
chill5500

I'm not a fan of parks in general but from time to time you gotta do what you gotta do. For the most part we frequent the off road type parks private and public and yes the longer & taller hauler makes you much more observant and a little hesitant to say the least. But so far it hasn't been an issue and hopefully it wont be in the future.