Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Berg570FE

Only one battery?!!!!!!!!

While my wife and I are very excited to be picking up our new 2014 Cougar 326 SRX tomorrow, I was shocked to learn it has ONE battery?!!

Only 730 CCA at that. Our 2010 has two batteries.

Yes we have a Honda generator, but we camp a lot, nearly always dry camping.

Will this one battery run the furnace all night once it starts to cool down?

I guess I'm venting. This dealer is making a fortune off of me and I can't even run the furnace to keep the wife happy all night?
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg570FE View Post
While my wife and I are very excited to be picking up our new 2014 Cougar 326 SRX tomorrow, I was shocked to learn it has ONE battery?!!

Only 730 CCA at that. Our 2010 has two batteries.

Yes we have a Honda generator, but we camp a lot, nearly always dry camping.

Will this one battery run the furnace all night once it starts to cool down?

I guess I'm venting. This dealer is making a fortune off of me and I can't even run the furnace to keep the wife happy all night?
I believe it is common practice throughout the industry to provide only 1 battery unless you specified earlier when you bought it that you wanted 2.

If you plan on "running your furnace all night" with that single battery, don't be surprised to wake up in the morning to a cold unit and a dead battery. (I have no comment on "keeping the wife happy at night"). If it were me, I wouldn't want to rely on it to last that long. Without a battery in good condition, your slides will likely not operate as well as a few other "essentials".

Also, if you do a lot of dry camping, then why not install 2 (deep cycle)- 6volts? They will provide you with more "amp hours".
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Berg570FE

Thanks for your thoughts.

The 6 volt battery gig is my plan. It just seems odd that our 26ft trailer has two batteries and this huge fifth wheel has one.

We hope to enjoy it, but are both irritated at the dealer, and at the fact we need to "modify" our brand new rig to simply perform as our 4 years older trailer did.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg570FE View Post
Tha

We hope to enjoy it, but are both irritated at the dealer, and at the fact we need to "modify" our brand new rig to simply perform as our 4 years older trailer did.
As I indicated earlier, your dealer is simply following the practice that is commonly in place at all RV dealerships. I am certain that if you had bought your RV from the guy down the road, your RV would still have come with just one battery. So in this sense, it's hardly the dealer's fault for not providing you with two.

You did say that you will be looking to replace the single, 12v battery with two 6 volts in the near future -- a wise move if you are going to be doing a lot of dry camping. Those, plus having the generator, makes for a good outing without hookups.

I hope you enjoy your new RV.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

All 4 trailers I have bought since 1989 have only come with 1 battery. We only install one group 24 battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

In 2010 and again last year when we were shopping for a new fifth wheel, all the dealerships around here would quote the price with full propane tanks, a "starter pack" (FW hose, sewer hose, etc) and 1 GP 24 deep cycle battery.

When I bought the Cougar last year, I stipulated that I wanted two 6 volt batteries and the price was about $400 more. I provided the batteries and the dealer installed them for "free" as an "exchange for declining the GP 24 battery".

I don't know of any dealership in Michigan that provides more than 1 battery as a part of the standard setup.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Berg570FE

Thanks again for the information guys.

Two six volt batteries sounds like the way to go.

My irritation with the dealer is the usual "sales" stuff. ie, horrible trade in price, reluctance to budge on price, and the general icy demeanor of the salesman and manager. Blah blah blah. I'll get over it.

So just adding this experience, with the cost of this rig, and having to add another $400 to get it to simply perform like my 2010 Cougar 26 footer before I've even left the lot, got me fired up.

But I'm cool, because I'm going camping this weekend!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Just think about waking up every morning this weekend to the "new camper smell" and it'll put a smile on your face

Enjoy your new camper and your weekend !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
jsmith948

You shouldn't have to spend $400 . Costco had 200 amp he golf cart batteries for $89

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The $400 I referred to was the dealer doing the install, wiring, a new dual battery box. That includes the $200 for the batteries.

Even doing the install at home, the battery box is about $100 and the wiring/circuit breaker and associated hardware is about $25, so the cost is roughly $325-350 for a "DIY" project.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #11
jsmith948

10-4. I got by a little cheaper as I already had a second battery box and parts to make up a cable. But you're right, it all adds up!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Berg570FE

Headed home now. Two 6v batteries installed for $379.

Turns out, all of the technicians, service manager, finance guy, etc., didn't think much of my salesman.

It wasn't just me : /

Off to camp now!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Locowrench

Why Not!!

I bought my first toy hauler in 05. It was a Thor product, Wanderer Wagon 247 and it came with 2 batteries. When I got my new Fuzion it came with only one battery and as the OP was, I was also upset about the fact. I mean really, whats the harm in providing 2 batteries on a new coach!! I sure don't get it either. The excuse they gave me was that 2 won't fit on there. Thats bologna and they know it. I think 2 batteries should be common practice through the industry but hay I also think they should be held to a common standard for quality and workmanship also but that won't ever happen either. Sorry for the rant

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Locowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
mazboy123

it is your error...sorry

one battery is what you typically get with your purcahse.
you should have discussed this with the salesperson when you were purchasing a trailer.... sorry, it is not the store's fault.

either ask for another battery or purchase another one of equal amps.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
summerhummer

I agree with the arguments.... My new 2014 keystone doesn't even have the space for a second battery. I think that really sucks you spend so much on a new trailer and it doesn't even offer what older trailers offer. I was also so upset about space for batteries. My battery location may not even fit a group 31 battery. Hopefully the will reverse this bad decision in the future. I also told my dealer that this is bad design,hopefully if enough people complain they will reverse this bad trend...
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhummer View Post
I also told my dealer that this is bad design,hopefully if enough people complain they will reverse this bad trend...

I don't see that happening, sorry to say. With the availability of quiet generators, and more sites with hook-ups, I bet one battery will continue to be the norm. Just my opinion though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don't see that happening, sorry to say. With the availability of quiet generators, and more sites with hook-ups, I bet one battery will continue to be the norm. Just my opinion though.
I completely agree, Chuck. With the smaller holding tanks, removing the gravity fresh water fill, going back to 20 lb propane tanks on ultralite models, changing from EPDM to TPO roofing to save a few extra pounds, it looks like the manufacturers are moving away from "dry camping" models and moving toward "self containment" being a way to use the features while travelling from one "full hookup site" to the next.....

With fuel prices on the rise, lightweight trailers that are easily towed by lighter, economical vehicles will become more popular. That will tend to make trailers less and less capable of sustained "dry camp" outings. We may see two types of RV's come from this move, one that's a "camping trailer" and one that's a "travel trailer" I'd guess if that happens, camping trailers will have multiple battery capability and travel trailers will have smaller tanks and room for only one battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=JRTJH;141542]

With fuel prices on the rise, lightweight trailers that are easily towed by lighter, economical vehicles will become more popular. That will tend to make trailers less and less capable of sustained "dry camp" outings. We may see two types of RV's come from this move, one that's a "camping trailer" and one that's a "travel trailer" I'd guess if that happens, camping trailers will have multiple battery capability and travel trailers will have smaller tanks and room for only one battery.[/QUOTE]

JRTJH -
I'm not so sure that we will see two types of RV's. I think the trend is for more and more people - both young and old - to head to sites that have full hookups.

Young couples with babies or young children don't want the hassle of having to "rough it" or not having swimming pools, playgrounds, cable TV, WiFi/Internet on site to entertain their kids. Many of "today's children" are used to being "entertained" and dry camp outings are just, well .."boring". (Putting one foot in mouth)

Older people like to feel "comfortable" and like to watch their favourite soaps on TV. Access to electricity, lots of it, 24/7 is a must. Use the water pump? What water pump - where is it? Heat the HW tank by propane? No microwave? Holding tanks? You've gotta be kidding! Who needs 2 batteries?
(Putting the other foot in mouth)

All kidding aside, my point is that manufacturers build what the majority wants and will buy. I can't see Keystone or anyone else building two types of RV's - one for the dry camping crowd and another for the full hookup group. The majority wants full hookups and won't settle for anything less. So, build them an RV with small tanks and 1 battery and they will come.

Large holding tanks? Two batteries? Too costly. Reduce the size and number of the tanks and give 'em one battery. If they don't like it ..... well, they'll grumble a bit but they'll buy it anyway.

Who said, "You can run but you can't hide." ..........I'm gonna try.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
Randy_K

After our dealer gave us "the best price possible" I told him to put in two 6V batteries in a nice compartment and we would take the trailer. He handed us the papers to sign.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
Berg570FE

It does seem like the new trailers are favoring as Festus points out. I wonder if not complete line ups, but instead one or two models might be available that would favor dry camping?

We haul our dirtbikes all over the western US, both to race and recreate, and it is always dry camping. These events and get togethers have at least 30-60 rigs at a time in one place. All dry camping. I hope the industry doesn't go too far away from the dry camping, as we have many years, and several more RV's ahead of us!

BTW, two 6v batteries is absolutely the way to go! All the juice you'll need for a weekend! And yes, the wife is now happy ; )