Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
wvmtn

Carbon 31

I know this model just came out. I love the floor plan. Does anyone have any info they can share on the Carbon 31? If anyone has one have you had any problems with it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will not be purchasing until next yr so Im in research mode at the present time.
wvmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
gregm2k

wnmtn,
We got the Carbon31 in Jan14. We've been on several trips and just got home from a 10week trip thru the southern US...and still love the 31! The floor plan is great, the '07 Ultra Classic fits great in the garage, and it's surprisingly easy to tow.
We do plan one big change now that we're back. Our unit came with the stock, faux-leather sofa. I did not think it would be bad but it really is uncomfortable so we plan to replace that with a recliner sofa.
Good luck!

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
wvmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm2k View Post
wnmtn,
We got the Carbon31 in Jan14. We've been on several trips and just got home from a 10week trip thru the southern US...and still love the 31! The floor plan is great, the '07 Ultra Classic fits great in the garage, and it's surprisingly easy to tow.
We do plan one big change now that we're back. Our unit came with the stock, faux-leather sofa. I did not think it would be bad but it really is uncomfortable so we plan to replace that with a recliner sofa.
Good luck!
Thanks so much for the response. Just a few more questions if you dont mind. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L and plan to install the air lift air bag suspension Kit and a Hensley Sway Control Hitch. Do you think I will be ok with that set up towing the Carbon 31? Dry weight says 8500lbs and my truck is rated for 10,400. Also have you had any problems or warranty issues with the 31? Im probably going to buy mine around June or July of 2015. Hoping maybe I can get a clearance model or maybe an improved 2016 model.....Is there a good or better time/season to purchase in order to get a good deal? We are buying it for retirement. If the 07 Ultra Classic fits great then I should have no problems with my 2014 Indian Chieftain. Im just wanting a good quality toy hauler and we have looked at several over the last 3 yrs. but we like the Carbon 31 Floorplan best of all. Thanks for your reply and would love to hear anything else you have to say about the 31.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
gregm2k

I think you'll love the Carbon31! It's a great unit.
- we bought ours at the big Florida RV show at the state fairgrounds. I think we saved close to 10k on it. The floor plan and saving the $$$ made it a no brainer for us.
- not sure about your Tundra...with the 31 loaded you will be right on the edge. At about 8600 empty...add a bike, food, clothes, and a few cases of beer, you will be close to your limit. You will have to do the numbers.
- knock on wood...no problems with ours
Good luck and enjoy retirement!

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
matty8734

I bought my Carbon 31 at the end of June and just joined here. I have been on two trip so far and dont have many complaints. The stereo system is absolute garbage, it barely plays cd's, has crappy radio reception and takes what seems like a day to load a dvd. It will be my first upgrade. I also added a larger coat/towel rack in the bathroom and I am getting ready to add some overhead storage cabinets in the garage. My 2014 streetglide and my wifes 2013 1200 custom both fit without any problems. As far a towing with a Tundra thats your call...I pull mine with a 2004 powerstroke and it has no problems.
matty8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
wvmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8734 View Post
I bought my Carbon 31 at the end of June and just joined here. I have been on two trip so far and dont have many complaints. The stereo system is absolute garbage, it barely plays cd's, has crappy radio reception and takes what seems like a day to load a dvd. It will be my first upgrade. I also added a larger coat/towel rack in the bathroom and I am getting ready to add some overhead storage cabinets in the garage. My 2014 streetglide and my wifes 2013 1200 custom both fit without any problems. As far a towing with a Tundra thats your call...I pull mine with a 2004 powerstroke and it has no problems.
Thanks for your input. Ive been researching other RV forums and also some Tundra Forums and apparently with the right hitch and setup I should be fine towing the 31 with my Tundra. Funny you mentioned the cabinets. Thats the first thing after looking at the 31 that I thought about having to add. It definitely needs some cabinets in the garage. Did you get the double electric beds and drop down screen for garage area along with the 15000 BTU AC? If so does the garage area cool good? My oldest daughter and family will be sleeping in that area when we have a family camping adventure and was just wondering if they would be comfortable sleeping back there temp wise. We will be camping a lot in FL during the summer. Its super hot. How good is the master bed? We thought about a sleep number for a replacement. We presently have a sleep number at home and love it so we thought we might do well to get one for the camper. Also is there an outside grill option for cooking? or do we need to figure on packing a grill? Sorry for all the questions but I like to get as much info on things as I can before I purchase especially a major purchase like this camper. I know some of my questions can be answered by the dealer but I would rather hear from owners who have them as I feel feedback is a lot more honest and dependable.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmtn View Post
Thanks so much for the response. Just a few more questions if you dont mind. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L and plan to install the air lift air bag suspension Kit and a Hensley Sway Control Hitch. Do you think I will be ok with that set up towing the Carbon 31? Dry weight says 8500lbs and my truck is rated for 10,400. Also have you had any problems or warranty issues with the 31? Im probably going to buy mine around June or July of 2015. Hoping maybe I can get a clearance model or maybe an improved 2016 model.....Is there a good or better time/season to purchase in order to get a good deal? We are buying it for retirement. If the 07 Ultra Classic fits great then I should have no problems with my 2014 Indian Chieftain. Im just wanting a good quality toy hauler and we have looked at several over the last 3 yrs. but we like the Carbon 31 Floorplan best of all. Thanks for your reply and would love to hear anything else you have to say about the 31.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmtn View Post
Thanks for your input. Ive been researching other RV forums and also some Tundra Forums and apparently with the right hitch and setup I should be fine towing the 31 with my Tundra. Funny you mentioned the cabinets. Thats the first thing after looking at the 31 that I thought about having to add. It definitely needs some cabinets in the garage. Did you get the double electric beds and drop down screen for garage area along with the 15000 BTU AC? If so does the garage area cool good? My oldest daughter and family will be sleeping in that area when we have a family camping adventure and was just wondering if they would be comfortable sleeping back there temp wise. We will be camping a lot in FL during the summer. Its super hot. How good is the master bed? We thought about a sleep number for a replacement. We presently have a sleep number at home and love it so we thought we might do well to get one for the camper. Also is there an outside grill option for cooking? or do we need to figure on packing a grill? Sorry for all the questions but I like to get as much info on things as I can before I purchase especially a major purchase like this camper. I know some of my questions can be answered by the dealer but I would rather hear from owners who have them as I feel feedback is a lot more honest and dependable.
wvmtm,

I don't own a Carbon 31, but in reading your posts, it sounds like you're relatively new to RV towing and have a half ton Tundra with a 10,400 maximum tow rating. It also seems that you're basing your purchase on the shipping weight of an empty Carbon 31. Also, from your most recent post, it appears that you're considering a number of additions to the trailer after purchase. Some of these additions will add considerable weight to your trailer's actual weight as will the proposed Hensley hitch.

If, as you indicated, you like to get as much information as possible before making a large purchase, there are a number of other "towing criteria" that you really need to consider.

Your Tundra payload is roughly 1500-1600 lbs. The EMPTY tongue weight of the Carbon 31 is listed at 1215. Add a battery, propane and you're up to about 1300 lbs. Add the 150-200 lbs for the Hensley and you're at or above your truck's payload. That's before any passengers, cargo in the cab or in the bed are added.

You're talking about adding another A/C (if needed) a heavy sleep number mattress and cabinets in the garage, all of which will substantially increase the "shipping weight of 8600 lbs. Remember, that weight is before you add the first pound of personal items, food, camping gear, toys or other items that most of us consider "essential" for camping.

While the Tundra is a versatile and well mannered tow vehicle, like all trucks, it can be overloaded and become unsafe to operate. I'd urge you to consider that you will be overloading your truck's GVW and operating at or over the GCWR with a Carbon 31 in tow. You might want to do some very critical calculations on your weight restrictions, towing guidelines and consider whether this RV will exceed the operational limits of your tow vehicle.

It would be better to carefully reconsider before purchasing such a large (and very heavy) trailer and then to find out after you own the trailer that you need to buy another tow vehicle to safely use it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
wvmtn

John, Thanks for the info. Very helpful suggestions.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
matty8734

sorry for the long dely in answering your questions we just spent the last two weekends out in the trailer.

the master bed mattress could be replaced, after a few nights its pretty uncomfortable and hard.

the rear garage stays nicve and cool with the 15k A/C but im in WA so its not super hot anyway.

I am planning on plumbing my own propane setup out to a grill, but it dosent come stock with one.

Ive towed about 2000 miles with mine now and i pull it with a 2004 6.0 powerstroke and I can tell you this is a big heavy trailer and there is NO way I would attept to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. it may move it around but you would really close to your max rating. As a pesonal rule of thumb i try to match my trailer loaded weights to roughly 65-75% of my trucks max rating that way if need to add a few things or extra people im still not exceeding my capacitys.
matty8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Locowrench

Too Small!!

Good to see that you went with a bigger truck to pill that trailer. I have the Fuzion 301 which is pretty close in weight and design as your Carbon 31. A Tundra may pull that monster, straight flat roads, but get it in the hills or a good head wind and things would go south in a hurry. Mine has very little manners when it comes to towing so Im glad that I have a good heavy tow vehicle.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Locowrench is offline   Reply With Quote