Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

Picking up new Keystone 5th Wheel ->help/advice/suggestions

Hi Everyone,

We have made the plunge and have decided to buy a Keystone Raptor 361LEV toyhauler (2010 - new) - have put down the deposit and everything. There has been a good number of "compalints" with Keystone (we have read pretty much every post) but there also seems to be an equal amount of happy people. The layout of this particular unity suites our family needs pretty much perfectly ... so we have decided to jump in!

The unit is still new (never registered) and is sitting on the lot (yes, at very reputable dealer - as far as we can tell). After quite a bit of negotiating we were able to get a very good price .

In any case, I am looking to the group for a couple of things:
1) Does anyone have a service manual for these rigs(2010 Raptor 361LEV)? Although the rig comes with the standard one year Keystone warranty ... it would be great to get/have the service manual (I am fairly handy with electronic etc.);

2) Does anyone have a good Pre-Delivery checklist? I have download one already which looks pretty good ... but I am looking for others so that I can make sure we go through EVERYHTING twice on trailer before we put down final payment and leave;

3) Does anyone have anything SPECIFIC items for this unit/year that we should check on before we hook up the trailer and leave;

Finally, this is our first toyhauler/trailer. Other then adding some cool toys the back of the rig - anyone have other thoughts on other sundry items we should pick up for the trailer.

Thanks in advance. This forum has been great and we really appreciate everyone's feedback/help.

Curt
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Flyguy

Here's a good PDI checklist http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf make sure that they fix all that is wrong with it BEFORE you give them any more of your money! As far as service manuals go there are none, just get the service manuals for all the appliances and the radio and the power converter. You can find most of these on my homepage. Just click on Flyguy in the upper left of this post and from the drop down menu click on "visit Flyguy's homepage" and that will get you into the server. Then download whatever suits your needs. Just remember that many of the problems that you read about on this forum could have been avoided if the PDI was followed and the dealer forced to make them good. Once the dealer has all of your money you go on the back burner as far as he is concerned. Yeah I know he's your buddy now so lets keep it that way by with holding the money until he's fixed everything on the punch list. You'll hear alot about how bad Keystone is and how bad the dealership is but no one is looking at themselves and saying "did I do all that I could do?" Naw, it's easier just to blame someone else! Also if this unit has an outside kitchen that uses gas struts to hold up the lid, check the mounting of these struts to the lid, most of them aren't worth a damm and they will pull out from the lid under pressure. If you grab the lid and pull on it as if to close it and you can see the strut mount on that lid flexing in a bad way ask the dealer if he has a fix for this.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
gbsb

Don't have a Raptor but do have a 2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition 11 bought ours as a left over also. Ours has been great we towed it over 15,000 miles since June with out any issues. We have had a few loose screws here and there but some of the roads are pretty rough out there. Do a good PDI and check every thing, we did on ours found some loose trim some decals coming loose all fixed before we picked it up. The one thing we missed were the tires they were Carlise tires made in China and very dangerous. Read about tires on several sites and all tires made in China are bad, no matter what brand. I have a freind who has been in the tire busniness for years, told me not to go out of town with those tires for safety sake. Took his advise and put new tires on before we left for the summer trip. Make the dealer put on a good American made tire before you take delivery for your own safety. Do some research on tires I wish I had would have saved $1600.00 right off the bat. Good luck and welcome to the world of toyhaulers, we carry a Harley Tri Glide trike in ours and do enjoy it, We live in ours fulltime and love it. George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00080-20110212-1502.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	790  
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
camper 2010

What tires did you buy that was made in the USA?
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Here's a good PDI checklist http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf make sure that they fix all that is wrong with it BEFORE you give them any more of your money! As far as service manuals go there are none, just get the service manuals for all the appliances and the radio and the power converter. You can find most of these on my homepage. Just click on Flyguy in the upper left of this post and from the drop down menu click on "visit Flyguy's homepage" and that will get you into the server. Then download whatever suits your needs. Just remember that many of the problems that you read about on this forum could have been avoided if the PDI was followed and the dealer forced to make them good. Once the dealer has all of your money you go on the back burner as far as he is concerned. Yeah I know he's your buddy now so lets keep it that way by with holding the money until he's fixed everything on the punch list. You'll hear alot about how bad Keystone is and how bad the dealership is but no one is looking at themselves and saying "did I do all that I could do?" Naw, it's easier just to blame someone else! Also if this unit has an outside kitchen that uses gas struts to hold up the lid, check the mounting of these struts to the lid, most of them aren't worth a damm and they will pull out from the lid under pressure. If you grab the lid and pull on it as if to close it and you can see the strut mount on that lid flexing in a bad way ask the dealer if he has a fix for this.
Flyguy,

Thanks for the link. This is exactly the PDI checklist I already have - it looks great - I just wanted to make sure it was "complete" .

I will check out your web page and be sure to get all the manuals before leaving the dealership. It would sure be nice if they Keystone made a service manual - seem a bit scary trailer manufactures don't produce something.

We are excited about getting our trailer - but do plan spending a day or two going through the trailer top->bottom, front-back BEFORE we leave the dealership - to insure that every is right with the trailer.

Again, thanks for your input - GREATLY appreciated.

C
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
What tires did you buy that was made in the USA?

I second this - what type of tires did you put on? Also, I am trying to figure out how I tell the dealer the tires on there are crap and get him to replace them (when they are new) - I can just here it now "they are brand new" - LOL.

PS - I read this in other forums. I was also going to check the manufacture date as I have heard that they are not allowed to sell new units if manufacture date is too old?

Thanks again for all the input guys .... keep it coming.

C
Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
SteveC7010

There is no "service manual" for these units. They do come with a generic owners manual plus all the owners manuals for the appliances and such. There may also be a few installation manuals for some of the items like the fridge and furnace.

After you get the unit home, you can arm yourself with the model numbers of all the items, and get onto the manufacturers websites and download service manuals for many items.

In some of my previous posts, I have listed links for all kinds of repair manuals and more. If you want something specific and can not find it, let us know and someone may know how to get it off the net.

As for wiring and plumbing diagrams, they really don't seem to be available. The best advice I can give is for you to learn as much as you can about each of these systems. They are all very similar regardless of model or coach manufacturer. Almost everything is relatively easy to trouble shoot, and repairs (if not covered by warranty) can many times be done at home by the average DIY gut or gal.

One other point. Many support forums and websites for other brands of coaches have extensive online libraries. Don't hesitate to look there if you need something. For example, a manual for a Dometic fridge might be found almost anywhere because almost all the coach builders use Dometic fridges. There is very little that is Keystone specific in our rigs but it is sometimes difficult to convince folks of this.

Same goes for models and brands within Keystone. We all have water pumps and holding tanks. They all work the same. This is true for pretty much every item in these units although some may have more luxury items than others.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
There is no "service manual" for these units. They do come with a generic owners manual plus all the owners manuals for the appliances and such. There may also be a few installation manuals for some of the items like the fridge and furnace.

After you get the unit home, you can arm yourself with the model numbers of all the items, and get onto the manufacturers websites and download service manuals for many items.

In some of my previous posts, I have listed links for all kinds of repair manuals and more. If you want something specific and can not find it, let us know and someone may know how to get it off the net.

As for wiring and plumbing diagrams, they really don't seem to be available. The best advice I can give is for you to learn as much as you can about each of these systems. They are all very similar regardless of model or coach manufacturer. Almost everything is relatively easy to trouble shoot, and repairs (if not covered by warranty) can many times be done at home by the average DIY gut or gal.

One other point. Many support forums and websites for other brands of coaches have extensive online libraries. Don't hesitate to look there if you need something. For example, a manual for a Dometic fridge might be found almost anywhere because almost all the coach builders use Dometic fridges. There is very little that is Keystone specific in our rigs but it is sometimes difficult to convince folks of this.

Same goes for models and brands within Keystone. We all have water pumps and holding tanks. They all work the same. This is true for pretty much every item in these units although some may have more luxury items than others.
Thanks Steve - appreciate it!

C
Old 12-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
gbsb

From what I've read the Good year G614 is one of the best tires you can get made in the USA. After doing a search on several forums I bought Hankook Tires not made in the USA made in Korea. I checked for any recalls or bad reports and could not find any. The freind of mine that is in the tire busniess recomended them, He sales a lot of them to farmers in this area that put them on cattle trailers and heavy farm trailers hauling equipment here in Texas. The ones I got are F14, in a size 7.50 R 16 that is a 14 ply tire and is the same size that the carlise were and weighed over twice as much. On our trip this summer we left Texas in June and Went to Alaska and back to Texas spending 6 weeks on the Oregon coast and going threw 17 states British Columbia and The Yukon. I checked the tires regularly for heat build up and air loss and had no problem with either. Our hauler is a 40' long 3 axle unit we haul a 1200 pound Harley Tri Glide trike in plus a lot of junk since we are fulltimers and live in it. I don't drive fast usually between 55 and 60 mph in the states and you can't drive fast going to Alaska because of the roads. there is alot of choices out there and we all make our own. Back in Texas for the winter and then new adventures come spring allready ready to go agin just hope fuel prices stay down. Good luck with your new hauler and enjoy life. George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00080-20110212-1502.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00145-20110703-2007.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	792  
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
randy69

361 lev 2010

I bought mine last part of 2009. Love the raptor but there things I had to do

1. After couple of times the door air shocks pulled away from both doors. Only had 1 screw that wasn't stripped. Had to drill through. and 6x32 screws washers and nuts.

2. My removable outside ladder, Should have tested it out at the dealership. The Plastic clips that hold the rungs, 3 broke as I climb to the top.

3. Make sure you have manual overide tools for your slideouts. And ask them how to retrack the closet when out position . Because the tools don't fit.. and no acess Had to drill hole in the pedistool to access

4. Your sewer hose compartment. very small, had to make one and mount.

5. Had 2nd air put in the bedroom. The Main one isn't big enough for 90 +

6. Iota trasfer switch, Keystone recall. Make sure it's been changed

7. There also was a recall on tires. Check on rv recall site to see what you have.

8. Maybe I had a bad one. The back flow preventer that is for the black water flush, It ruptured. This is above the door right hand corner cubbord. Also above your control pannel and breaker box. Water eveyware. Replaced mine with a brass one.

Ok thats enough. I still love my Toybox. And yes I bought a 6 year warrenty But the fine print doesn't cover little suff.. and again 100.00 everytime I take it in. I better quit thinking of more ###.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1510   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1511  
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote