Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
SQLShaw

Air Mattress

So we got a Alpine 3555 RL, and we are living in it full time. My wife sleeps on the sofa air mattress, and well we are not having any luck with it.

The factory one had a leak.

I bough a new one... Last about 3 weeks, now a leak.

So I am trying to figure my options, do they have a regualr sofa bed any longer? I am sure we are under warrenty, but the question is how long will these air mattress's last? I can not imagine long.

If we replace the whole sofa, is it hard to get the existing one out?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
geo

SQLShaw -

Sorry to hear about your sofa problems. If you look for the tag, you will find that your sofa was probably manufactured by Flair Industries. Do you have the "floral paisley"-type print? That fabric is a loose weave and the seams pull out very easily. That is the problem we had - the couch was pulling apart. Our granddaughter used the air mattress while visiting us a couple of nights, and we had no issues with it.

But, the seat and the back of the sofa was coming apart at the seams. We showed it to a local north Texas upholstery shop owner who had two recommendations: give him $1000 to re-upholster the whole sofa in quality material, or ditch the Flair sofa and get something quality - like FlexSteel. (I had a post about 10 months ago describing this "challenge".) We opted for the last suggestion.

The Flair sofa, like most RV furniture, does come apart fairly easily to get it out the door. The back of the sofa is only held on by two "shoulder bolts" and rests on two other "shoulder bolts". The drawer comes out the front. The seat cushion is held in place by 4 sheet metal screws - two in back and two in front (that you can find once the drawer is removed). Once these screws are removed, the "spring" frame for the seat cushion slides slightly towards the rear of the sofa, lift the front, and slide it out. What you will be left with is the side arms of the sofa connected with 3 or 4 steel rods. All four of these pieces are easily carried out the door by two people, or one healthy young lad!

We purchased a nice FlexSteel hide-a-bed sofa to replace the Flair. The FlexSteel came on a long pallet and encased in cardboard. We backed the truck up to the Alpine door. The FlexSteel was easy to dis-assemble. The front kick panel was held on by 4 screws. The back was attached to the side arms by 4 bolts. The side arms were held to the hide-a-bed mechanism by 6 screws/bolts. Took it all apart on the pallet in the back of the truck, moved it into the Alpine, and reassembled it! It has a larger bed that is a combination inner spring/air mattress. And it is a dream to sleep on!

Here's the thread from earlier this year with a picture: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4872

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Keeper

we have the 290RL Avalanche and the air mattress also leaks. We're currently trying to get Keystone to replace it.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
SQLShaw

I am starting to think that we are out of luck.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
SQLShaw

Ron,

Amazing answer, thank you so much. Today I had to go out and get my 3rd air Mattress. I am starting to think that these just are not that good of an idea. I do like your suggestions, we already started looking at ones you suggested.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLShaw View Post
Ron,

Amazing answer, thank you so much. Today I had to go out and get my 3rd air Mattress. I am starting to think that these just are not that good of an idea. I do like your suggestions, we already started looking at ones you suggested.
SQLShaw -

Thank you for the kind words. If you check the link, you will see that I ordered the FlexSteel from Bradd & Hall. I am in no way associated with them with the exception of being a happy customer. I was hesitant at ordering sight unseen, but when the sleeper sofa arrived, it was just like Christmas! The air mattress has a regular mattress cover, and takes only a couple of minutes to inflate, less time to deflate. It was a little pricey, but it is quality and well worth the price.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air mattress, alpine