Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
cathyt

slide issues on Cougar HE

Does anyone else have an issue with the floor of the slide?
cathyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Just "an issue"? Can you be more specific?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Just guessing at what your "issue" could be..... but if your are talking about the slide floor not sitting or resting flat/flush with the main floor when the slide is in, then that isn't an "issue". It is normal for the slide floor to have a space between it and the main floor. Keystone advises you not to walk on the floor or sit on chairs/sofas, etc., or put any additional weight on the slide floor when it is retracted. This is to prevent the slide floor separating from the side walls due to increased stress caused by the additional weight.
Again, since you didn't explain what the "issue" is, this is just a stab in the dark reply.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Jim & Kay

Unhappy Not saying much for Keystone Products

Came across this thread and was really surprised that the slide room floor is unable to be walked on, when retracted. We have had other RVs with slides and this was never an issue. In fact our, motor home where the sofa was a part of the slide, had seat belts, for passengers to sit while traveling. It was built by Newmar and they were the 1st company to manufacture a slide that when out, it was a flat floor.

When traveling long distances, we like to stop, fire up the generator, have lunch and relax a bit, without having to put the slide out. And you are not supposed to put the slide out without having the stabilizers down

Is this all Keystone RVs? Here's the site I found the info: http://petesrv.com/products/info/pdf/keystone/manual/Owners_Manual_2011.pdf Page 54, #9

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Jim -
I double-checked by referencing a Cougar Owner's Manual and in Chapter 10, p.54 it states:
"Do not step on the floor of the slide when the room is retracted. The slide out floor is not supported by the main floor and stepping on the slide floor may cause structural damage." I couldn't open Jim's link above.
On another related note, I found it interesting to read your comment about not extending the slide without first having the stabilizers down. At home, if we are cleaning the RV or doing some other maintainance, I often put the slide out without putting the stabilizers down. Unless I missed this caution in the Manual or somewhere else, I've been doing that ever since we've owned the Cougar. Can you tell me where you came across this caution??? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
golfpro

I stated this fact on a forum once and a guy with a MH told me I was nuts. Well, I might be but you still aren't suppose to sit or stand on the slide out when retracted. MH are another thing, I can see if you are traveling and in your MH going back to the bathroom, you have to walk on the slide flooring. But they are built for that, TT's are not.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Jim & Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Jim -
I double-checked by referencing a Cougar Owner's Manual and in Chapter 10, p.54 it states:
"Do not step on the floor of the slide when the room is retracted. The slide out floor is not supported by the main floor and stepping on the slide floor may cause structural damage." I couldn't open Jim's link above.
On another related note, I found it interesting to read your comment about not extending the slide without first having the stabilizers down. At home, if we are cleaning the RV or doing some other maintainance, I often put the slide out without putting the stabilizers down. Unless I missed this caution in the Manual or somewhere else, I've been doing that ever since we've owned the Cougar. Can you tell me where you came across this caution??? Thanks.
Festus2, I found in my Keystone Owners Manual, Page 54 (3.) Under Basic Slide-Out Tips.(You must be leveled and Stabilizer Jacks Extended) SORRY

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Jim -
My Keystone Owner's Manual was printed in 2006 so I am guessing that you most likely have a more current one with additional information and tips about the slide out system. Can't find any mention at all in this manual of putting the stabilizers down before extending the slide out but obviously Keystone has included this "tip" in the newer Manuals.
Somehow, I think that most people who stop for lunch and extend a slide out, don't bother to lower their stabilizers for this short stop-over.
Thanks for checking into it.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
azlee56

wow I didn't know this. Good thing the stablizers are down when it is at home. That is just the back of the 5th wheel, not the frontroom slide and the kitchen slide (where the table is). I have a montana 2008. You mean at no time can you sit at the table or couch unless the back stablizers are down?

azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

I think the major concern that Keystone seems to have is placing additional weight on the slide floor when the slide is in. Depending upon the number of people and their individual weights, you could possibly end up with in excess of 500 lbs of extra weight on the slide floor. As has been pointed out, the slide floor is not supported by the main floor (when retracted) and the extra weight of a person (or people) can create extra stress on the structure.
Personally, I don't think that the problem of not extending the stabilizers when the slide is out (for a short stop over - eg lunch) is all that critical. For a short period of time, I think it would be okay to sit at the table or on the couch without extending the stablizers.
However, there may be additional stress placed on the slide out mechanism and the slide structure by not extending the stabilizers when the slide is out. I really don't know about this so perhaps someone else might offer their opinion. At some point, everyone lowers the stabilizers when they are setting up and are going to be parked for an extended period of time with the slides out.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Jim & Kay

Festus2,
If it is not in your manual, perhaps putting the stabilizers down prior to extending the slide room, does not apply to your model? We were surprised to learn that we were not to step on the floor of the slide out when the room is retracted, whether or not the stabilizers are extended, this is quite a let down for us. As Golfpro said in his post, MHs are different from TTs but we've had a MH, a 5er & a TT with slides and were never restricted to not walking on the floor of the slide room when it was retracted. The latest owners manual is available on the Keystone site: http://www.keystonerv.com then click on customer service.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

Colo(u)r me ..... perplexed.......

What supports the slide out floor when it's in the extended position???
What is the difference between when the slide is extended or retracted ????
This is makin' my head hurt...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Jim & Kay

Take (2) Aspirin you'll fill better!!

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

hankaye -
If you take a look at the slide floor when retracted, you will probably notice that the floor does not sit flush or rest on the main floor. On mine, and I know of several others, there is a gap between the two. On some units, the gap is more pronounced and on others the space is small - but there is a space. The space gets larger from the outer edge of the slide floor to the inner edge. On mine, I can almost slide my fingers into the space.
This gap or space leaves nothing for the slide floor to rest on or be supported other than being fastened to the side walls. The issue is, or could be, that if enough weight was place on the slide floor - especially at the middle - the floor could separate from the side walls. And that is why Keystone issues this caution about walking or sitting in the slide room area when the slide is retracted. Hope this makes sense and makes your head hurt a bit less. Can't do much about your being perplexed.
In regards to the second part of the question --- what supports the slide floor when it is extended.... I really can't answer that. I'd have to extend our slide and go have a look to see what, if anything, supports it. I am thinking that perhaps the floor rests on the two slide out rails when extended - but that is just a guess.
Since we both have the identical unit, take a look at your floor when the slide is out ---- what do you see in the way of support for it? I'm assuming your slide is already out - mine isn't and it's pouring rain. Surely, you wouldn't want me to go outside, extend the slide, and have a look-see and get soaked in the process ---- would you?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Outbackmel

Cross country trip and slides

We spent 8 days going and 10 days coming back and 60 days at one location.
Every day, every single one we traveled, we stopped and prepared and ate lunch in our 2011, 5er. Now, I will say, we used common sense. We walked on the retracted floor in the LR slide as little as possible. When eating, our 120 lb son is the only one who sat on the sofa. I sat on a pillow on the interior steps and DW found a supported spot. A couple of times we put the slide out and used it normally. I never put the rear stabilizers down, BUT, I carry a 4 ft multi level roll on level block and ensure we are not way lopsided when extending the desired slide room.

Never any issue. I believe Keystone makes their statement to limit their warranty exposure. Like any product, it is up to the consumer not to push the limits past a test of reason. That thinking is MORE our (user) responsiblity to assess the situation and act responsibly.

Goal: HAPPY CAMPERS
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

Of course I expect you to go out in the rain.......NOT

I'll crawl under tomorrow and report back...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote