Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
ocho

I'm perplexed

I know..awful big word..especially after I've had a couple. Anyhoo..I've got an issue that i can't figure out. It's proly so simple I'm not seeing it. About 6 months i lost the ability to start the generator from inside. I have a 2012 raptor 300mp. However it would start at the generator. About 3 months ago i lost that ability. Here's the weird part. If i hook up a portable jumper battery to large terminals of the house battery, which starts the generator, and it'll start from either place.

I know my battery is good. It's tests spot on with a load tester. It's an optima blue top.

So today i got to thinking. Instead of having the generator hooked up to the small terminals I'd cut both positive and negative cables..put on automotive type terminal ends and hook it up to the anode posts of the battery. After all that's where i hook the jumper battery to. Didn't work. It'll prime from inside but it just clicks like the battery is low. What is going on?
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Racebug

bad connection somewhere between battery and starter, or ground.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like your coach battery(s) need a boost, here try this connect your truck to the Raptor , let truck run a little and then try starting the generator preferably from the inside. If it kicks over, drive down and get a new coach battery. Do you have one or two batteries installed? Can not explain why it would not start from inside but would from outside, unless bad switch but then when jumped would start from either place
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
ocho

Then why would it start from either place with a jumper battery? If there was a bad ground or switch it wouldn't start regardless of how many batteries i had hooked up. That's what's so confusing
Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
ocho

I leave the rv plugged in 24/7. The battery has a full charge and passes a load test. It's only when i hook up the portable jumper it'll start from either switch. Inside or outside. Ugh
Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Jeepshots

When you say it passes a load test, how was that test conducted? I think there's still not enough "umph" from your coach battery. With the degraded coach battery, it now takes a combined battery package to provide the amps that the starter needs.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
I leave the rv plugged in 24/7. The battery has a full charge and passes a load test. It's only when i hook up the portable jumper it'll start from either switch. Inside or outside. Ugh
Have you checked your battery fluid level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Have you checked your battery fluid level.

I'm not sure the Optima batteries can be checked.

I'm wondering if the fact that it is a deep cycle RV type battery if the cranking amp ability isn't enough for starting the generator. The Optima Blue lists the CCA at 800 which sounds like enough, but it is different than with traditional batteries which are designed for high output for starting purposes. When you say it tests good, what is good? Maybe a dual purpose battery like the Yellow Top is the better battery for your situation. I don't know what is required to start your generator, but it sounds to me like that's where the problem is.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post

I'm wondering if the fact that it is a deep cycle RV type battery if the cranking amp ability isn't enough for starting the generator. The Optima Blue lists the CCA at 800 which sounds like enough, but it is different than with traditional batteries which are designed for high output for starting purposes. When you say it tests good, what is good? Maybe a dual purpose battery like the Yellow Top is the better battery for your situation. I don't know what is required to start your generator, but it sounds to me like that's where the problem is.
All good points. This is likely the culprit. The blue top IS more for long term low amp usage. I'll look into this more
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
ocho

When i say load tested good I'm referring to an older test i use to use. I have an older load tester the when hooked up a switch is moved and the battery is put under a load. Quickest way to see if a battery is good under load. This optima tests perfect.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Oops, missed that. Thanks.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #12
Dave W

I'll first start out by saying I'm not a big fan of the current Optima batteries since Johnson Controls took them over a few years back. Their longevity and CCA output have suffered.

OK, you say that you hear 'clicking' when the start button is pushed. That means one of several things, with the easiest to check are all connections, especially ground. Is your ground close to that battery and have you checked it for rust, paint under that bolt or for looseness?

Next, that battery - here is a good primer on how to do checks: Battery Service - Autoshop 101(you may need to copy and paste).

Then, that clicking solenoid or relay - are you sure that it's actually engaging properly. That is, the core or moving contact(s) actually connecting with the stationary contact(s). If using a jumper and it starts while directly connected to that relay or even the existing battery, it may provide enough extra amperage to pull that set of contacts together. If this is the case, then really question the battery cranking ampacity, cable size (they need to be at least 4 awg with heavier better) and the connections.

Always remember when chasing problems that RV manufacturers don't always use the best materials, do much in the way of quality control or employ the most stable work force to assemble them and screwups happen
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Racebug

keep in mind your just starting a little generator, not a car engine. I ran a blue top optima in my old truck for 10 years and never had a problem with cranking amps. If it load tested good, look elsewhere. I troubleshoot battery issues on forklifts all day and usually just find bad connections.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Start with the easiest thing, put a different battery in it. Even if you just pull one from your car to eliminate everything else. You can chase connections and grounding issues all day long and end up back at a bad battery.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote