Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
bill-e

Fixed my black tank flush, here's how

So I do a lot of dry camping in between full hookup camping so it was not unusual to go weeks continuing to fill the black tank before dumping.

Even though I use a lot of water and Ridex, my tank flush got clogged. Nothing I did would clear it.

So today since I was winterizing I dropped the rear corner of my underbelly to gain access to the flush input to the black tank.

I could see a bulkhead mount and a 90° elbow threaded into that with the flush line, 1/2" PEX crimped to it.

I removed the crimp and pulled the line (face full of smelly water) then I unscrewed the elbow.

The elbow was packed with waste so I cleaned that. The hole it was threaded into was also filled with waste so I picked at that with a little screwdriver (about 3" of clearance). While I couldn't see what was at the inside end of that threaded hole, it did feel like it bottomed out. I grabbed a piece of music wire and began poking and prodding. I only found one hole which appeared to be at an angle at about the 2 o'clock position. It did not appear to be a spinning flush but rather a cap with at least one hole drilled in it.

Anyway I put it back together using a hose clamp instead of the PEX crimp and turned on the water

It took a second but it broke through and I could hear water entering the tank and it sounded normal. I was actually flushing it with antifreeze and it sucked most of the contents of a gallon right out so I think I got it. At least I was able to winterise the line and get fluid into the tank.

Anyway, it seems that clearing out the fitting is possible without major disassembly. Next summer I'll try to flush even when I'm not going to dump just to keep it open.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
hankaye

Re: Fixed my black tank flush, here's how

bill-e, Howdy;

Good to hear you found a way to clean it out and gett'r workin' .

I would keep an eye on the connection. There is a reason they don't
assemble the pex system with hose clamps, it will leak. Perhaps not much
but it will leak. Discovered that when I had my older TT and the previous
owner had made a repair with a hose clamp.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
bill-e

Yep, been there, done that. Since I expect it to clog again I don't want to crimp it. I plan on finding some flexible tubing that I can clamp there next spring. If this was a pressure line I wouldn't even think of using a clamp.

My main reason for doing it now was to drain the water that was in that line for the winter

Interesting note is that the end where the fitting is is only about 4" of tank depth. It seems to me that it is always going to clog...clogged on me a few times but I was always able to free it. I may have to get a waste tote and macerator and drain it after every dry campout.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 10-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
mikej248

Couldn't figure out how to post so I will put my message in as a response to this post. I fixed my flush system (Keystone 294RK) with a lot less effort and mess. When mine wouldn't flush with water I tried air pressure (not to high as I didn't want to burst the plumbing). That didn't work so I took out the one-way valve under the bathroom sink, determined that it was OK and that there was no obstruction between the water inlet and the valve. I then squirted some liquid Calgon Water softener into the line going to the black tank and let it set for several days. I reassembled the system, hooked up the water hose and Voila!, the flush worked. Won't guarantee this will work for everyone but it's worth a try. Good luck!
mikej248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
bill-e

Mike, the water softener probably acted kinda like penetrating lube and allow the water in the line to make it's way into the clog and loosen it.

Had my cleaning of the valve not worked, I was going to do about the same thing only I was going to squirt some liquid ridex into the line. I had a total of about 2" of clogged line between what was in the elbow and in the threaded part the elbow connected to.

I was expecting to find a check valve by the tank but there was nothing so once my waste tank got higher that the flush input, which doesn't require much, it probably started seeping back into the line.

Since it's easy to hook up my outside spigot to the black flush I'm going to regularly flush that line when I'm using the black tank.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 10-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
hankaye

bill-e, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
So I do a lot of dry camping in between full hookup
camping so it was not unusual to go weeks continuing to fill the black tank
before dumping.
The above statement may indicate the cause of your problem ... the bit
about it taking weeks for the tank to fill would indicate that you are most
likely not using enough liquids to keep the material loose enough to pass
out the discharge pipe without a lot of effort and in the meantime all that
can move is packing itself into every crevice it can find.
I only share my 5th wheel with Rascal (Border Collie), so I'm the sole user
of the commode. Mine requires emptying on a weekly basis. 5.5 years
with no clogs and only 1 minor problem with the back-flow preventer in the
flush system (it cracked and broke), which was 'fixed'.

Routine and maintenance of the tank and the flush system require a LOT
of water. For your boon-docking adventures why not try one of the many
variations of the composting toilet and then use the regular commode
when you have full hook-ups.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Actually crimp is cheaper and faster than tightening a clamp. I suspect $$ is the real reason for using crimps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
bill-e, Howdy;

The above statement may indicate the cause of your problem ... the bit
about it taking weeks for the tank to fill would indicate that you are most
likely not using enough liquids to keep the material loose enough to pass
out the discharge pipe without a lot of effort and in the meantime all that
can move is packing itself into every crevice it can find.
I only share my 5th wheel with Rascal (Border Collie), so I'm the sole user
of the commode. Mine requires emptying on a weekly basis. 5.5 years
with no clogs and only 1 minor problem with the back-flow preventer in the
flush system (it cracked and broke), which was 'fixed'.

Routine and maintenance of the tank and the flush system require a LOT
of water. For your boon-docking adventures why not try one of the many
variations of the composting toilet and then use the regular commode
when you have full hook-ups.

hankaye
hankaye, good thoughts but I wasn't very accurate in my description. I don't dry camp for weeks, I camp one or two nights a week for weeks between full hookup campoutd. When I dry camp I'm alone and always start with and use plenty of water. What I meant was that the tank sits for weeks with some amount of waste in it before I can drain and flush it.

Bill

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 10-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Actually crimp is cheaper and faster than tightening a clamp. I suspect $$ is the real reason for using crimps.
Cost is my motivation as well I don't own a crimper and actually removing the old collar was a PITA in the limited space. A clamp is definitely the way to go for this location.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I totally understand. I have a ring crimper in my box at work, thinking about getting the other style....can't have too many tools at work

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
swanson

You can always use a shark bite to connect the PEX.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote