Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
deanrw

We're Buying the 327RES!

Thanks for the replies! It sure does help. We went and looked at the 327RES again and some other ones again out of town and this is the one we are going to buy. We really think its the best one to buy and it will fit our needs perfectly. Now I have a couple other questions.
What are some other "Must have" add ons for this trailer?

The one we looked at here had a fantastic fan in the bedroom, the one we looked at out of town did not, Would you recommened getting one? I have never owned one before. Any mods that you have done and want to mention would be great (my wifes already worried when I start talking about doing this and doing that, it get the , but when I am done she is usually happy )
We are heading up make a deposit on Wednesday after work, and I hope we could have it and use it for our Canadian Thanksgiving so at least we could use it once this year before we winterise it, otherwise may have to book holidays or take some time off and head down south for a couple weeks to try it all out. I will ask about winterizing

The dealer we went to on the weekend was really good. Showed us alot up there and even left us for a while to just sit in the trailer and see what its like. He even suggested I try pulling it with my truck to try it out and see how it pulls. (I know it wont tell much until its loaded or on hills but was a nice offer)

Thanks again for all the help, made the decsion alot easier.
deanrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
byrdr1

I had 3 slide out awning covers added as well as a second AC. it was easier to get these up front in the deal.
Make them put in a water pump winterizing valve for winterizing and pulling the pink stuff out of the bottle for you."Pump Converter Winterizer Kit" from camper world or any place that sells Camco products.
Mods:Plexiglass the screen door as a mod. makes it nice to leave the hard door open and see outside.
I know the new ones have a battery disconnect, I had to add one to mine.
Other than add 2 towel racks in the bathroom and the above mentioned things I havent had to do many mods. Just havent seen anything I needed to add. We use a free standing toilet paper roll holder. Just couldnt find a place I wanted to mount one. So free standing was the way to go.
I do have a back up camera I added to the back ladder and wireless to my truck. Nothing is drilled or glued on this mod.
Have fun and I hope you get to enjoy it before you have to close it up for winter.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Lack of HP

I would think about the second AC unit in the bedroom if you go to warm areas. You are cooling a lot of area. If your coach comes with a 13.5 I would strongly suggest the add on. Most come with this unless ordered with the larger 15.5 unit. Maybe upgrade the shower head to a little higher grade, not really necessary but made mine much better.
I think you made a great choice, and you will really be happy. Enjoy and happy campin.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
LarryL

I like the 326MKS the sofa is strait across from the TV and one of the swivel
rockers is almost strait across no neck turning plus the kitchen is big.
and the bathroom is a room not part of the bedroom.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Branky

DW and I bought a 2012 Cougar 297RKS in July.
In a nut shell, we love it.
We are going to have a Fan-fantic fan in the living area or the Bathroom, we havent decided.
The one thing that is disappointing for us it the bedroom window. On the Dual pane mpdel, the window dpes not ahve a screen or prvision for holding the wiindow open. you can open it bit you have to prop it open. The single pane version has a screen and a opening handle.
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
snowhawk2

Hello. My friends had the Cougar 327 and they loved it but they sold it because they were ready for their next move and someone offered them excellent money. So their hunt was on and they narrowed their search to Montana and Alpine, and ended up buying the Alpine after much debate. We have a Montana 3750FL and after being in ours, they really liked some of the differences between the Montana and Cougar. The 327 RES is an awesome floor plan and the quality was very good from what we saw. Good luck with your decision and enjoy what ever you buy!!!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
deanrw

Okay, so we have ordered our unit and pick it up on Friday. Had the 2nd ac installed, slide awnings, the dirt devil central vac. Also an upgraded matress.l looked at the automatic satellite dish too but that will have to wait. We are really excited to get the new one, but will miss the old one too. Lots of good memories.

Can anyone tell me the total lenth of the unit, stupid me didn't measure it. Going to have to make the driveway beside the house longer so it goes back further.
Should I get 2 batteries installed or would 1 be enough? I do have a generator, but I've heard having only one and operating 3 slides would be tough on a single battery.

How good is the polar package plus, they say good to -18 but I'm skeptical, anyone tested it or how cold would you use it down too?
Do any of you have an air ride hitch? The dealer was mentioning it but I wasn't so sure. Dealers been great! Got a good deal and with trade, did pretty good. I am happy to be getting a new trailer but I didn't think we had so much stuff in the old one... That's been the worst part..cleaning!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Handysam

Congrats. I did a test last Feb. over Presidents day weekend. The temps. dipped into the mid 20's at night and day time temps got to the low 50's. I put our refrigerator thermometer in the basement at night right by the water pump and plumbing lines just out of curiosity. Each morning I checked the thermometer and it never was below 44. That made me feel pretty comfortable. I too was skeptical, and granted the temps during the day were in the low 50's and it was sunny, it still gave me the piece of mind that it can still get pretty cold and I won't have to worry. By the way the length of our units are 36'5". Do not operate your slides without the proper amperage it will give you headaches. As far as the air ride hitch, its still on my list, but so far I haven't missed it. Hope you can get out soon and enjoy it, just take it slow, make lists, and enjoy. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
deanrw

Thanks for all the info everyone. Ive been busy since we got back from our trip with the new trailer, and didnt get a chance to write. The trailer worked great for Thanksgiving. So glad we purchased it! We spent a week out camping, would have liked to go longer, but got to retire first.

We had no real problems at all, seems the dealer did a great PDI, and they were sure great. Went through the trailer in every detail possible. Spent 3 hrs with us ( we arent even new to RVing) so that was great. They even payed our camping for the a 3 days as we headed out camping right from the lot. The truck pulled it no problem, however I have a feeling it would be working hard on hills and in the mountains. I will probably get a new truck sometime next year.

It got pretty cool at night and we stayed nice and warm in the trailer. Really liking the layout and everything. Thanks everyone for suggesting this, the wife loves it and so do I. Cant wait for spring to take it out again.... its gonna be a long winter. Its winterized and parked for the year now..