Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Julie

28SGS weak floor

Hello all.
We have a 2015 cougar 28sgs xlite that we purchased new. For some reason we think our floors seam week when we walk across the floor. The only time our unit sets outside is when we are camping. after every use it is washed, dried and parked in the barn. Has anyone else noticed their floors doing this?
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: 28SGS weak floor

The Cougar XLite floor is a "sandwich construction" type of floor. Traditional floors are constructed of a 7/8" OSB flooring material. As such, it will not "bend or flex" when stepped on. The XLite floor is constructed of a bottom 1/4" OSB and a top 3/8" OSB with a 1.5" foam sheet "sandwiched" between them. So, while there is "some additional rigidity" provided by the foam and bottom OSB sheet, essentially, you will feel much like you're walking on a 3/8" sheet of OSB that's suspended on a foam base. That feeling of the floor "flexing" or "giving under your foot" will be more evident when you're near the center, between floor joists and you'll notice some "give" as you put weight on the floor.

So, if you're concerned with this type of sensation, it's pretty much normal for the type of construction. If, however, you have some other "give and weakness" that you've noticed, you might want to talk to your dealer and show him exactly what your concerns are. He should be able to provide you with advice about what's normal and what might be a problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Julie

Thank you. I thought I had lost my mind.
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
bill-e

And no amount of external stabilization will resolve that issue. I have the same kind of floor.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
linux3

I thought this about the floor of my Passport. I imagine construction is the same.
On advice of a fellow traveler I put the stabilizer jacks on 6X6s to shorten the expansion distance.
OK, the floor still gives but the whole TT is more stable and thus the floor is not as big an issue to me now. YMMV.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
busterbrown

I can confirm that the Bullet lightweight line is built on this OSB/Foam sandwich design. Just gain access to the fresh water pump and look through the hole that was drilled to supply the water lines to the tank. Manufacturers are "innovative" (or maybe just "cheap") with ways they remove weight from the entire structure.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
JoePoke

So have your soft spots gotten any worse? We have the same 2015 model and seem to have 2-3 spots maybe 6 to 8 inches round that are soft when stepped on. You are saying there is no fix, but will they get worse with age?

Thanks,

Joe
JoePoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor