Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
C130

Determining Toy Hauler Value

I am trying to sell my 2011Fuzion 322 Touring Edition and have a question or would like some knowledgeable input. I am trying to really determine what it's worth and get a fair price because I have someone supposedly really interested and I have an offer on the table assuming it's in the shape I say it is. I don't have to sell it and my wife and I really like it but would like something a little larger with two kids and two dogs. Problem is we haven't found the perfect replacement and really like what we have but we do want something larger and the half bath in the rear garage.

I have looked at NADA and priced it a couple thousand below low retail and no options added. NADA shows around $41,000 and I listed it at $39,900 but can anyone here give me some advice on what they think it's really worth? Opinions on what can I get for trade in? The offer I have started at $32,000 cash then went up to $34,000. Opinions or can I get close to that on trade in and of course there's the tax advantage of the trade in. I've talked to dealers about trade in value but until I commit on a new unit they don't seem very interested in giving me any real numbers.

I also understand the value of having a buyer with the money in hand and not dealing with the hassles of tire kickers. But, I only want to sell it if I can get a good price. It's been stored inside a fully enclosed storage unit and is very clean, inside and out. I pay almost $300 a month to keep it looking new so I expect some return on the condition it's in but want to be realistic also.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Determining Toy Hauler Value

Values are influenced by geographical area, time of year, available inventory and current demand. Sellers always want the most and buyers want to spend the least.

With that said I have always maintained the following. A FAIR deal is any deal that the seller and buyer feel they got what they wanted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
C130

I understand what you are saying but the values being asked range all over the place. I was just wondering if there's anywhere to find out a real starting place as far as value. Is there any value to NADA? I have sold a lot of vehicles, motorcycles, trailers and have never had any issues selling anything I've ever owned. I usually get top dollar because of the shape of the items I'm selling but I also price them reasonable.

But, I'll be honest and admit the RV industry is kinda of an unknown for me. I know what I can buy a new one for but I'm kinda clueless on used values. I "think" my toy hauler is worth $37,000 but maybe I'm wrong. Guy interested is a real estate agent so I know he's a sales person. But, I don't want to lose a cash buyer over $500-$1000 either.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

People drive vehicles year round, RV's aren't so much a year round thing in some parts. I know dealers will use NADA, and IMO the values listed are fairly close.

When I sold my last trailer, I looked on the Internet and searched the RV selling sites, and Craigslist. I priced it in the middle and first person to look at it offered $500 less than asking, he owned it 45 minutes later.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
C130

I found a couple identical trailers for sale by dealers on RVTrader and they are asking $48000-$49,000. Low retail is around $42,000. I listed mine at $39,900 and thinking around $37,000 is a fair price. Anyways, I told the guy my lowest price ($36,000 if bought this week) and I'm sticking to it like I had told myself I was going to do at the beginning.

I also talked to PPL here in Houston and they are confident they can get $40,000-$43,000 and of course they get 10% commission. Basically, I'd be getting the same price and not have to deal with anyone myself if I sell it any lower than $36,000-$37,000. They just sold a friends toy hauler in about 8 days and got a good price for it. I'm going to wait and see how it goes and just be patient and if it becomes too much of a hassle I might take it to PPL. I just know finding a buyer with the money can sometimes be a hassle so wanted needed some advice since the guy said he was wanting to buy this week and had the cash. Of course I've heard this story before!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
roadglide

Its what your comfortable with. I paid 9 k for a 30 ft nitros toyhauler ask 13k on creg list and sold it for 11 k, I used that and a few more 1000 and went out and bought a 2015 311 impact . Nada is the guide line for me buying or selling .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
rbev2308

I will tell you this based on what I got from an owner who I became fairly good friends with although I did not buy from him. The Nada values are a good starting point. Once you get your model, the low and high retail is good place to start but they look at the trade value. We quickly want to jump into all the options but like he told me, most all the options were always part of the unit that comes anyway and you cannot even get it without those options. Many dealers use this as leverage in any trade but surprise, they throw all the options in for selling purposes in an effort to make a profit. In all cases, you are always better of selling private but the issue there seems to be on units 1-4 years old where people "overpaid" for it and now customers are faced with a slightly higher interest rate, no warranty but for nearly the same amount up to 10-15% more, they can get a new one full with warranty. Dealers also will sell the new one for no less than 10% more than what they would have if no trade was involved. My parents are perfect example. They had used TT that dealer offered 14K and the new Toy Hauler was going to be $58K best deal possible. The sold it on their own for $19K and the new price amazingly was now $54K they decided on something else eventually but that was a difference of $9K. Me personally, I would try and move it private party. Use all the info online with rvtrader.com, craigslist or other dealer pricing and get what you can, you will always come out better this route. Sure the dealer will maybe give you more and make you think that but I can absolutely guarantee you will not get the newer one for no where near the price you would have if no trade involved!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
C130

The guy was just trying to buy it real cheap and guess I can't blame him as I do the same. He was a real estate agent so he was used to negotiating. He also kept telling me he was paying cash and how very few people had the money so I'd better take his offer. I gave him my price, told him I didn't need to sell it, and he could take it or leave it. I also told him if he was serious he'd come and look at it anyways.

Low retail with zero options added is $42,000, I listed it at $39,900. If I can't get around $37,000 I'll just trade it or take it to PPL since they say they can get between $40,000-$43,000. I'm in no hurry so I'll try to do it myself for quite some time before giving up or I'll just keep it.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
PerryB

Considering NADA, high book, low book, etc. I think your numbers are pretty fair, you have to figure what its worth to you and stick with that. Documentable inside storage is huge, in my opinion.
I love the line, "I'll be paying cash" used as an attempt to leverage the price down. What did they think I was going to accept, sorghum and limes?? Then they usually end up writing a check.....
Just danced the dance 2 weeks ago selling an upper end ski boat. I asked at the top of the range and accepted $1000 less. Very happy.
FWIW, within 3 hours of the new owner docking the boat at her lake house, a huge, freak summer storm came up and sunk it!! No kidding. -- Yes, the check cleared.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
Hutchise

Toyhauler value

I asked somone I know that sales RV's and he said to multiply NADA value by .80 to get trade in value for 5th wheels
Hutchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchise View Post
I asked somone I know that sales RV's and he said to multiply NADA value by .80 to get trade in value for 5th wheels
That's about what I figured, I was thinking about $8,000-$10,000 less than low retail value of $42,000 so that's about right in line.

I think I have it sold, had a couple look at it today and they say they want it. They are going to start the loan process tomorrow and think they already have most everything set up. I hope it works out though I'm not 100% sure I'm making the right decision. It's been a great toy hauler and we've had zero issues with it. I washed it after they looked at it today as it had rained on it on the way to the storage unit a few weeks ago. It really does look like new or about as good as a 2011 could look. But, there are a few features we want on a new one so I know we'll find the right one again if we take our time like we did on our current one.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Hutchise

C130, Slick?
Hutchise is offline   Reply With Quote