Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
raineman

2014 300MP water heater issues

I picked up a new 2014 300MP recently and I am able to get hot water while running the generator, but the not the LP. Of course the dealer did not go over this during delivery. All other systems using LP work, fridge, furnace, stove, oven.

When I turn the switch off on the water heater itself (my understanding is that is for running on electric (generator or plugin)) and shutdown the generator, then go inside and turn on the LP water heater switch, after attempting to light, the DSI Reset light comes on. When I stand next to the water heater after doing this, I can hear it trying to light (clicking). I followed the directions on the water heater itself to try to reset. That included shutting down all power and gas. Waiting 5 minutes and then turning gas back on and retrying. Nothing worked. Am I doing something wrong?
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depending on "how far down the line" the HWH is, you may have to cycle the switch quite a few times. The electric side DOES NOT have to be turned off to do this, but you do need a good 12VDC source.

There should be a couple of rubber "plugs" you can push in above the gas valve to reset the heater too. One last thing-make sure your heater isn't full of HOT water. If this doesn't work, post back and I can give you directions for another test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Keep in mind our 12 gal HWH can be run on LP and Electric at the same time. We use this feature to reduce the recovery time. That switch on the outside I use as a safety that is when I empty the tank I turn the switch off. When I fill it I turn switch back on. On my year only switch inside is the actual circuit breaker. Since you hear it sparking I assume you have 12V. Sounds like you are not getting any gas flow. Has it ever worked on LP?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
byrdr1

Just My Opinion.
I had the same problem with our when it was new HWH. I had to adjusted the sparking element(ignitor) to get it to light the propane. BE aware that as you do this you are not looking at it(or into it) or have your head down there close to inspect it as you are trying to get it to light. Believe me I know what I am talking about here.
I moved mine two or three times before it lite consistently. I have not had any problems since. and when we want a little longer shower I run both gas and electric. if we are on 50a service I run both. But at our state parks most cases its only a 30a service so I use the gas only.
again JMHO,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
raineman

PARaptor, It has never worked off of LP since I took delivery. I have cycled through the reset process at least a half a dozen times. Nothing.

Byrdr1, do you recall if you had to move it closer to the opening or away? Also, should I smell gas? I don't. Thanks for the heads up about not having my face down there. I am ugly enough already.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Okay, time to verify flow to the gas valve. Make sure you use TWO wrenches so you don't snap anything off.

TURN OFF propane at the cylinders. NO SMOKING OR ANY OPEN FLAMES!!!!!

Using a wrench to hold the fitting that is screwed into the gas valve, take another wrench and loosen the gas supply hose. Now have an assistant turn on the propane. You should be able to smell that nasty propane smell. If you don't then turn the propane off, and tighten the fitting TIGHT.

Odds are at this point the supply line has gotten pinched between the floor and frame, I've seen it quite a few times and the dealer should have caught it at the PDI. If you do have propane up to that point, then the issue is either the control board or the gas valve.

FWIW, my trailer is 30A and I will always use both when plugged in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
raineman

Thank you. I will give that a try. Or I may let the dealer handle it. It is new and they should have had it tested before delivery. It is obvious that did not happen. Also one of the nipples on one of the reset buttons is ruptured and worn. Kinda of strange for a brand new unit. The dealer did a horrible job prepping for delivery.