Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
DFreiberger

Fifth Wheel and Tundra Mix

Hi all,

Need some expert opinion; don't worry. Whatever you provide is far more than my knowledge. I have a Toyota Tundra Doublecab 4x2 with the 5.7L motor and standard bed. I am considering going to a Fifth Wheel, but not unless I know my truck will pull it and handle well. Of course if you ask the dealers, its never a problem.

Here are my particulars from the Toyota website which also match my door capacity sticker.

WEIGHT AND CAPACITIES
Curb weight (lb.) 5155
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.) 6900
Maximum payload [2] (lb.) 1870[*]
Towing capacity [3] (lb.) 10,100

The trailer I was considering weighs 7200lbs and has a hitch weight of 1250lbs. Based on the trailer information which I provided to Toyota, they told me the actual tunge load for the truck is 2120lbs and the actual tonge load for the trailer is 1450lbs.

I guess I am looking for is a peice of mind from you guys as to whther it is a good pull or not. I always see fifth wheels being pulled by duelies and larger sized diesels.
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Bob Landry

The Tundra suffers from the same malady as every other 1/2 ton truck.. Payload. Take the actual weight of your truck loaded with fuel, passengers, and gear you would normally carry and subtract that from the payload capacity of your truck. What is left is what you can safely handle for pin weight, and the issur you will likely have is rear axle rating. You won't have much left to carry gear in the truck. Understand that published pin weight is a marketing number. It's going to be more because you are going to load up the front pass-thru with LOTS of stuff. Go over to the Tundra forums and you will read some really crazy stuff. Those guys think Tundras are mules and all you have to do it hitch up and you can pull a house with one. Not so. It's a stout truck but it's still a 1/2 ton truck. Carrying capacity, inspite of what the Tundra Kool-aid drinkers say, can not be increased with helper springs and air bags. I often see Tundras pulling fivers and I'm betting they are all over-weight. I don't think a little bit over is going to make a huge difference, but that's your call and between you, your insurance company, and the Toyota warranty guys. Just keep in mind that what you are able to get rolling, you also have to be able to stop.

That being said... I'm not a Tundra basher.. I tow an Outback 277RL with a 2011 5.7L DC and I love this truck. I havn't weighed, but I'm guessing I'm close to 8000lbs on the triailer and at least 1000lbs on the hitch and I don't think I would pull any more with it. That said, it does what it was built to do. I wouldn't pull a fiver with less than a 3/4 ton. Keystone has a lot of trailers that will be easier on you and the truck thn a fiver. Good luck with your choice.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
kenn209

Not an expert by any means but IMHO. You need to also look at the numbers for your tires, max load. Also the axles, max load. And then look at the GCWR, All these should be on the door sticker. You'll probably blow past the GVWR, We did on our rig, BUT we are under all of the other ratings.

Also I have seen plenty of Tundras towing Fifth Wheels, in fact I was talking to an older gentleman at a rest area parked next to use who was towing the same camper we had with a Tundra using P-rated tires. The camper was an older version but I believe the weights haven't changed that much over the years.

Best thing to do is to weigh your truck with all the stuff that will be in your truck while towing, Include weight of the hitch and see where your at.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
kenn209

Bob you beat me too it!! lol
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

We have some folks towing with Tundras on this forum and I'm sure they can give better advise then me. But going by the door sticker and the pin weight of 1450 it only leaves you with 420 lbs. for passengers and gear. I weigh over 250 so I would have to choose between the wife and the dog. I don't own a dog so my choice is clear but I think you can see my point. Again .... I am only commenting on the figures you have given and think it is too much trailer for your truck. You might want to look in to a lighter trailer.
JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Handysam

Don't forget the stopping power of a 1/2 ton with that load. The 2500/3500's have bigger brakes and rotors.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
bruno4

Toyota Tundra

It is a "Toy"ota. It's not big enough, tough enough,
strong enough to handle a fifth wheel, or any other
trailer. Of course, you see lots of them pulling (barely)
trailers. Get a diesel, get some power and forget about
cheap Japanese toys.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Unhappy Poor Little Toyota Tundra

Alright, I'll bite.........
I've got one of those diesels - big, tough, strong and powerful. Couldn't be happier with my non-toy and have no desire to get one of those cheaper, Japanese wannabe trucks. Rumor has it that they can't handle pulling any type of RV - regardless of size. The poor thing is just too small, too weak and gutless.
It seems that, according to those who actually don't have one, its 5.7L engine that puts out 381 HP and 401 ft/lbs of torque just won't cut it. Same for its towing capacity.......10,400 lbs......not up to scratch.
And what about those undersized brakes whose surface area just happens to be slightly larger than those on a real man's truck, the F350? Yes, that undisputed heavy weight from Ford!

Could it be possible that this toy could do a pretty good job pulling a small to mid-sized RV? Obviously, you would have to go to a beefier diesel to pull larger RV's but perhaps the Tundra ---- the little engine that could -- might just be a big enough Toy-ota to do a fine job towing some of the smaller and lighter weight RV's?

There. I know it's still a 1/2T and I don't want to run out and buy one. Just felt sorry for it.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Flyguy

Hey thanks Festus, I know my Tundra can't cut it so I'll just have to be happy traveling and towing my 5ver with it anyway. We're camping now and the Tundra's pulling the 5ver just fine. It's amazing how many people that don't own a Tundra are willing to condemn it (gee I guess that makes me qualified to condemn some other TV that I don't own), no matter, It works for me! Hey Bruno4, read the forum rules before you post.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
Wing-in-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
It is a "Toy"ota. It's not big enough, tough enough,
strong enough to handle a fifth wheel, or any other
trailer. Of course, you see lots of them pulling (barely)
trailers. Get a diesel, get some power and forget about
cheap Japanese toys.
Nice.....

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
Wing-in-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFreiberger View Post
Hi all,

Need some expert opinion; don't worry. Whatever you provide is far more than my knowledge. I have a Toyota Tundra Doublecab 4x2 with the 5.7L motor and standard bed. I am considering going to a Fifth Wheel, but not unless I know my truck will pull it and handle well. Of course if you ask the dealers, its never a problem.

Here are my particulars from the Toyota website which also match my door capacity sticker.

WEIGHT AND CAPACITIES
Curb weight (lb.) 5155
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.) 6900
Maximum payload [2] (lb.) 1870[*]
Towing capacity [3] (lb.) 10,100

The trailer I was considering weighs 7200lbs and has a hitch weight of 1250lbs. Based on the trailer information which I provided to Toyota, they told me the actual tunge load for the truck is 2120lbs and the actual tonge load for the trailer is 1450lbs.

I guess I am looking for is a peice of mind from you guys as to whther it is a good pull or not. I always see fifth wheels being pulled by duelies and larger sized diesels.
DFreiberger;13880,

Are you sure your #'s are right? I have a 2010 with a smaller V8 and it has a gvwr of 8600lbs.....Does your truck have a tow package? Mine does....maybe that's the difference.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
wozzukes

I don't know much about trucks, but here is what I have observed. A friend of ours has a Tundra (not sure of the year but it's a newer one). They also have 3 little boys, so 3 car seats across the back and also travel with 2 dogs (don't ask me how they fit it all in there!) After we bought our 5ver they bought the Outback 312BH. I know he had to have some extra work done to the back end to handle the load (I'm not sure exactly what was done but it was something to the suspension to beef it up I believe). When they told us that is what they were getting my husband couldn't believe that they were going to be towing that with a 1/2 ton Toyota.

We have been out on a few trips with them now. According to him, it tows like a dream. We followed them on our last trip and he was able to pull pretty well. However, on our one trip we were going to a place we were familiar with, and there is a very long and steep hill climb to get there. He ended up driving almost 45 minutes out of his way just to avoid that hill. He was mainly concerned with coming DOWN the hill and the braking power of the truck. That's well and fine if you are familiar with where you are going and know the kind of terrain you will be traveling, but I wouldn't want to unexpectedly come upon a hill like that and have to worry about how you will get down it.

I think if you are concerned at all about your truck being able to handle the load, then you either need a bigger truck or a lighter trailer. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #13
Flyguy

I can only speak for myself and I can tell you that I've pulled all through the Smokie Mountains with no problem and that includes over Clingman's Dome (the highest point). I always use the gears along with the brakes when going down a mountain and have always had a feeling of security with it and never a problem. We regularly pull from the Elkmont campground in Tennessee to Cherokee on the NC side. I don't know what all the fuss is about, it drives fine for me!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
walker1

A half a ton/tonne is 1000 pounds right???????? don't think manufactures even use this obsolete word.............why do we??????

Do I believe all the bs about 1/2 towable ???????? Not a chance.......but some 150 or 1500 series truck.........sure.

I own a truck rated to tow 11 100. Would I try it? NEVER. But sure hauls my 8000 loaded fiver nice!
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
therink

My opinion: bottom line, you can't exceed the trucks payload (GVWR) capacity and gross combination weight rating (GCWR - truck and trailer together). When at the limit if the truck, it just makes towing a nerve racking experience. OK if only towing short distances. Use your gross vehicle weight rating posted for the rv when adding things up (20% of the trailer gvwr will be on the pin).
Also, your rear end gear ratio plays a large factor on the trucks towing ability/rating and on how much strain is put in the tranny when towing at capacity. You should gave minimum 3:73 rear end, but 4:10 is optimal for towing with a Gasser.
I am at the upper limit with my rig and will be moving to a 1 ton truck soon.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote