Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
forest376

Greetings to All!

Just recently purchased a 2010 Cougar 293 SAB. Next weekend we are taking it for a "shake down cruise". This is a post to how I came to purchase the fifth wheel. In Mar this year, I purchased a 2011 Chevy Silverado. I told the salesman, I was not interested in all the bells and whistles that comes with different models. I especially told the salesman, I was not interested in a truck that was built for towing. I had no plans to tow anything. Did you know that dealerships make money on extended warranties? Given a variety of initiatives (you can get discounts from being a credit union member, having USAA insurance, and having a great credit score). I drove home my new truck. After getting home, I noticed it had the HD towing package. I thought to myself, what a waste!

During this time I have been taking care of my mother in law who has health problems. She decided to give me her 1994 Coleman Popup Camper (only used 3 times). I went on a bike ride and decided to camp in the popup. Had a good time. Talking with my wife and daughter, i realize they would never stay in the popup, because the thought of using a public bathroom to take a shower was out of the question, not to mention what would we do with the animals if we went camping (Rving, I am still use to the term "camping).

I thought about my truck with the HD towing package. I did not know, that some fifth wheel models are now 1/2 ton towable. I called the dealership and learned my truck was rated to pull up to 10,000. The Cougar 293 SAB, empty weights around 6,800 which gave me margin for cargo and such (100 lbs needed for my daughter's shoes). I am now learning as much as I can about RVing and the secrets before we actually take our first trip. Did you know they make special toilet paper just for RV's? Also, it seems funny to me, the RV dealership forgot to show me how to unhitch the fifth wheel. You know, the secret about putting the truck in reverse and releasing the tension from the pin? I spend hours in the yard, trying to figure out how to unlock the pin.

I have made at least one other trip back to the RV dealership with the fifth wheel. My truck seems to pull the fifth wheel without any problems (I actually drove on the interstate without my leg shaking). 5.3L V-8, not sure when I will use the manual shift gears - I guess driving up Mount Everest. I am still learning about making turns on the road. The first day I almost took out our Mailbox. One other thing - when you buy a used RV, don't assume the black water tank will be empty!

I have noticed that when you shop at Camping World, the store is crowded with "old people" . I am now retired with an RV, am I considered an old? person......
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
hankaye

forest376, Howdy;

Welcome, welcome to the world of 'Camping'...
Any good single ply will do,
Tons of great information herein.. use the search function.

ASK questions there are plenty of answer that will come your way, take your pick as the information will be varied and most based upon experience. However, we all take different things from simular experiences... take what ya need share what ya can...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

forest376, Welcome to the forum. Check the label on the front drivers side of your trailer. It will show the shipping (dry) weight and the gross vehicle weight of your trailer. I think the shipping weight on a '10 293SAB is over 8,800 lbs. with a gross of over 11,000.
Be sure your tires and rims on the TV can handle the load. Even Keystone went to 16" Load Range E tires on that model in 2011.
Good luck and happy camping. Hank

PS .... Don't believe what salespeople tell you!!!!!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'll give you some facts about your rig as I see them. I'm sure others will have similar suggestions.

Your truck is not stout enough for the Cougar 293SAB. It's not that it won't tow it, the problem is the capability of the 1/2 ton chassis. It's not designed for the amount of weight you want it to carry. Your Cougar has a GVWR of 11,535#. Even if you are able to keep it down to 10,000# you will still have a 1,800# plus pin/hitch weight. Maybe others will be more objective but it's been my experience to see almost all trailers your size at close to max weight. Remember, when you try to compensate for a sagging truck with the addition of some lifting devise such as air bags you are just compounding your weight problem with more weight.

Here are the specs for your 2010 Cougar.

http://keystone-cougar.com/index.php...pecs&year=2010

CW
p.s. Does your truck have P rated tires?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
forest376

Greetings to all

You guys are good! After reading the replies, i immediately ran outside to check out the weight readings on the label of the fifth wheel. The weight matched up to what the salesman told me - empty 6,800 lbs. Now I am confused to what you guys mentioned in your replies? Then I notice outside of the fifth wheel as you go into the door. It says 26 SAB, not 293 SAB. I get out my sales contract and it clearly lists 293 SAB as the model number. Bitter sweet - i am relieved that my truck should be able to handle the weight, but then I wonder what did I pay for? Checking out other RV sales online that has the 293 SAB, i am satisfied I paid the right amount, however the sales contract did list the wrong model number. Also, the original owner left their sales agreement in the trailer and it also had the wrong model number. Interesting huh? It has the cold weather package, what is that all about as i live in the deep south..... thanks
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you live and spend most of your camping in the "deep south", then you shouldn't worry about the "Cold Weather Package". I live in the north and we have the "Polar Package" on our unit. For our year and model, it is simply an advertising gimmick dreamt up by someone who has never been or camped north of the 49th parallel. Sounds good but only works if it is "cool" or a bit cold for a very short time.
Regardless of what it says on the sales agreement, you should also be concerned about the weight figures that apply to whatever model you have in your yard ---- 293 ? 26? Check the label in the cupboard and also the one fastened to the exterior driver's side - near the front as Hankpage has already pointed out. Those weight figures are the important ones that you should use to determine what TV will best match that RV.
Next time you are talking to the salesman that sold you the Cougar, you might ask him if he owns and tows a truck and RV.........wondering if he is speaking from experience or ?????
Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
hankaye

forest376, Howdy;

I forgot to answer your last question;

"I have noticed that when you shop at Camping World, the store is crowded with "old people" . I am now retired with an RV, am I considered an old? person......"

NO!

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest376 View Post

I have noticed that when you shop at Camping World, the store is crowded with "old people" . I am now retired with an RV, am I considered an old? person......
I keep wanting to go to Camping World but I can't remember why????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote