Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2024, 04:41 AM   #1
JKreative

Troubleshooting Heated Water Hose

Hi,

I am looking for some troubleshooting advice about heated water hoses. I recently purchased a 100’ hose and am wondering if it actually is powering on as the water at the spigot froze on day 2.

I currently have it plugged into a 6 outlet outdoor surge protector which is plugged into the pedestal at my campground. The surge protector’s switch is lit showing that it has power.

I am wondering if maybe the hose is not heating due to the surge protector not having a GFCI. Thought about buying a clear adapter for the hose, however, it would only show that the outlet has power but not necessarily the hose.

I would appreciate any tips and advice to figure this out. Thank you in advance!
JKreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:15 AM   #2
rhagfo

Heated hose doesn’t heat the spigot. You should have wrapped the spigot, you should have wrapped it with some insulation.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:16 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKreative View Post
Hi,

I am looking for some troubleshooting advice about heated water hoses. I recently purchased a 100’ hose and am wondering if it actually is powering on as the water at the spigot froze on day 2.

I currently have it plugged into a 6 outlet outdoor surge protector which is plugged into the pedestal at my campground. The surge protector’s switch is lit showing that it has power.

I am wondering if maybe the hose is not heating due to the surge protector not having a GFCI. Thought about buying a clear adapter for the hose, however, it would only show that the outlet has power but not necessarily the hose.

I would appreciate any tips and advice to figure this out. Thank you in advance!

The hose won’t protect the spigot or anything before it…you would have to insulate the spigot and/ or use a heat tape on the spigot and exposed water line…
i also would not plug a heater or any high draw items into a six outlet anything.

You could check the hose with a laser thermometer after plugging it in check temp before and after

also the hose may have a built in thermostat that will not let it come on till temps drop so verify that before testing although this is not likely your situation because the spigot froze
Old 01-31-2024, 05:25 AM   #4
rhagfo

We winter host in western Oregon, we have a standard RV water hose. The hose is 25’ and we have an about 28’ heat tape strapped to it, then covered with sections of foam pipe insulation. The extra heat tape is wrapped around the spigot and water inlet fitting at the RV, all covered with foam pipe insulation. No issues at as low as 15 degrees.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:12 AM   #5
JKreative

Thank you!

Thank all of you for your great feedback! I think I understand now what needs to be done to correct the issue. I am so appreciative of your help and love this forum!!
JKreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:57 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I carry 2 3'/6' lengths of heater tape for various needs that pop up when it gets cold, wrapping the spigot is one. I also have a couple of lengths of the split foam insulation "pipe" that I slip over the water line to the spigot if it is elevated and not insulated by the park.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:33 PM   #7
bobbecky

Most heated hoses have the thermostat turn on at 45 degrees and turn off at 55 degrees. Do not plug them into a GFI outlet, because if it rains and the plug of the hose gets wet, it will trip the GFI outlet. Also, make sure the thermostat, which is the device that is cable tied to the hose, remains in contact with the surface of the hose and is also exposed to the air outside the rig. Do not cut the cable ties or the hose will not heat properly.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:48 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Most heated hoses have the thermostat turn on at 45 degrees and turn off at 55 degrees. Do not plug them into a GFI outlet, because if it rains and the plug of the hose gets wet, it will trip the GFI outlet. Also, make sure the thermostat, which is the device that is cable tied to the hose, remains in contact with the surface of the hose and is also exposed to the air outside the rig. Do not cut the cable ties or the hose will not heat properly.
Well there is a problem, as most pedestal 20 amp outlets are GFCI. Personally I have never had an issue as the pedestals cover provide protection from rain.

Tags
heat, water