Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
mitig8r

axel & wheel damage emergency help

We almost made it home. A car motioned to us to pull over (in SE Colorado) only to discover the whole LR tire/wheel gone. My best guess is the axle is damaged as well. This is the drivers side back tire. We have a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel, 30 ft. This is something that has never happened to us before, and by searching on my phone the nearest RV repair is at least 1+ hrs. away. Can someone tell me if a commercial tire place in Lamar could handle the repairs or is this a definite RV repair place I need to help us? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
mitig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What all is gone? Just the tire and wheel? Backing plate/brakes/drum etc? Did the lug bolts shear, spindle get cut off??? A tire place can handle a missing tire; maybe a missing wheel, all the other stuff will need someone else.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #3
mitig8r

The tire, wheel, hub, lug bolts, and spindle are gone. The brake appears to still be there. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
mitig8r

When you say "someone else" I am feeling clueless. Is this a job for an RV repair place? Are they the "someone else"? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:57 AM   #5
RVGator

You don’t need to go to an rv place for that type of work. Any automotive shop can help you out.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:37 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitig8r View Post
The tire, wheel, hub, lug bolts, and spindle are gone. The brake appears to still be there. Thanks.
If the spindle is broken off (the spindle is the part that protrudes out from the axle where the bearings ride) then you are going to need to have the axle replaced. That is not a job for a tire shop or automotive repair shop. You will need an RV dealer or a trailer repair shop to do that work. You might try calling some mobile rv repair techs and ask if they can do it on site but if you are on the side of the road it sounds like you may need a towing service. Replace that LF tire while you're getting the axle replaced. That tire has had 2 times the weight it should have supported for who knows how long and it will be damaged.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:10 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Attachment 41672A very similar thing happened to us about 3 years ago, just as we were pulling through the gate at a campground. Fortunately it didn't happen 3 or 4 miles earlier as we were towing on the interstate, about 65-70MPH.

The tire/wheel/hub came off the spindle, destroyed the brakes/magnet/backing plate and did some minor damage to the wheelwell and lower J-wrap skirting.

We were in Pontiac, MI, right in the middle of "automobile manufacturing mecca".... We finally, after 5 days of searching, found an axle repair facility that rebuilt that end of the axle. What I'm saying is that even in a major metropolitan area, finding a repair facility that will accept the work, that has the time to do your job and that can get the parts to repair/replace your axle "on a moment's notice" is not likely to happen in a rural area. But there's always "somebody that will patch things up or replace the axle"... It's just difficult to find that person when you don't know the area.....

After Clyde's repaired my axle, I towed the trailer home, towed one more trip to Memphis and the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, then replaced the axles myself.

Doing the work of replacing an axle is not "technically challenging" and if I can do it in my driveway, no doubt most people can as well. The issue is finding the axle, finding the tools (jack stands, etc) and finding someone to help with the heavy lifting. I used a HF 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack to position the axle under the hangers, so there was no "laying on my back, lifting the axle" but there was still the issue of getting them off the packing crate stand and onto rollers to position under the trailer...

You may find someone local to that area that can do the work, but locating an RV axle (the difference is the spring hanger/hub face measurements) to use as a replacement is probably going to be a challenge. I had mine manufactured and shipped to me because Keystone refused to sell axles to the dealership that tried to order them. I wanted to upgrade to 6K axles from the 5.2K axles and Keystone refused to sell the parts.

Anyway, about all you can do is call around, try to find someone to replace them. Any axle shop, most automobile repair shops, any trailer sales facility will know who repairs their products, and those same people can repair an RV axle.

Here's photos of what my axle looked like, I'm pretty sure yours has similar damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRAKE ASSEMBLY DAMAGE.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	41671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_165748696_HDR.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	41673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_165802856_HDR.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	41674  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #8
mitig8r

Thank you folks. Ours does look similar to those pictures. We found a commercial truck and trailer repair business about a mile from us, and they have agreed to take a look at it. I so appreciate your responses as this is not something I could ever tackle as an older gal with no mechanical experience. Sounds like I will be leaving my camper home in Lamar CO for a few days.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Great! That kind of facility is what I was referring to in my previous post. A missing/cut off spindle isn't going to be repaired by a tire shop or auto repair facility. If you've found a truck and trailer repair facility I bet you've found the right place. I had a boat trailer with 3500lb. axles repaired at such a facility and they literally had stacks of all kinds of axles in various sizes throughout the property so they were pretty prepared for most anything. Hopefully this place will have what you need and get you up and running quickly. As a side note, the facility I went to was also surprisingly cheap compared to what I thought it would cost so maybe yours will be too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

The important thing is whether or not the spindle was damaged. Replacing the hug and bearings, or even the entire axle, is not a major repair once the shop obtains the parts. Maybe you won't be out too long.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you folks. Ours does look similar to those pictures. We found a commercial truck and trailer repair business about a mile from us, and they have agreed to take a look at it. I so appreciate your responses as this is not something I could ever tackle as an older gal with no mechanical experience. Sounds like I will be leaving my camper home in Lamar CO for a few days.
Sounds like just what you need. Hopefully you'll be back on the road quickly with minimal damage to your bank account. I'd suggest you have them pull the rest of the hubs and check the bearings all around. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
Tireman9

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your problems. With such a complete failure, as others have said you need a new axle. Also replace the other tire on that side of the trailer. Hopefully the RV shop that will replace the axle can also do a competent job of inspecting the other axle and the failed axle to learn why you had such a major failure. Breaking a spindle could be from a manufacturing problem at the axle company or from extreme use.
Get some good, sharp close-up pictures of the failure. If there are any labels on the axle get pictures of them too.
Also file a complaint with NHTSA. You want to provide them with VIN of the RV and any info on the axle sticker. The RV company should also be notified of this failure as they may have some responsibility in this.
Any estimate on total miles on the RV should also be provided and copies of your truck scale readings.

Additional thought. When was the last time the bearings were inspected, cleaned and re-packed with quality grease? In 30 years of car racing (most sports car endurance events) I never had a wheel bearing or spindle fail. But I also did inspection and maintenance.

I see many people asking about bearing packing etc. Also there are psots showing bearing failure with so much heat generated the spindle is "blued". bearing failure is something that TPMS can warn about.
There are different quality bearings and even first class bearings are not that expensive and you might only replace the "no-name" OE bearings once.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:07 AM   #13
BookPaul74

I’m not wanting to debate anybody but the rear axle on my Cougar 337fls got bent in one to many off-road adventures of boondocking. Once I figured out that the tube was bent and not just the axle stub I checked and photographed the tag. I ordered the replacement axle from eTrailer and had it shipped to a friends house south of Tucson.

A friend of his church had a few full hookups sites that they let me use, I made a donation for their fund for homeless people, just thought it was right. I bought 3” saddles because is an under mount axle and the new one was over mount.

So with the tools I had and the tools my friend had and another set of new jack stands to and to the collection we replaced it in the church parking lot, was very thankful for the pavement. I had also shipped two new tires to replace the ones that were getting scrubbed.

So I know your probably back home with your rig but sometimes with the right friends and fast shipping a problem can be rectified.

And something else don’t use the E-Z Lube “feature”. When I pulled it apart at home before the trip the previous owner had done that and I used several cans per wheel cleaning the grease off and brake shoes and backing plate. The bearings were not greased all that well and it had been forced out the back of the seals.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #14
travelin texans

And something else don’t use the E-Z Lube “feature”. When I pulled it apart at home before the trip the previous owner had done that and I used several cans per wheel cleaning the grease off and brake shoes and backing plate. The bearings were not greased all that well and it had been forced out the back of the seals.[/QUOTE]

Agree DO NOT use the EZ Lube.
Also you probably should've replaced the entire brake backing plates with everything new, 4-5 bolts & all is replaced, box up the greasy messes & return for core charge refund. I doubt the brake shoes will ever be 100% after being grease saturated regardless of how much brake cleaner used.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #15
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Agree DO NOT use the EZ Lube.
Also you probably should've replaced the entire brake backing plates with everything new, 4-5 bolts & all is replaced, box up the greasy messes & return for core charge refund. I doubt the brake shoes will ever be 100% after being grease saturated regardless of how much brake cleaner used.
Your right but they appear to be working OK. Another reason I like having a one ton diesel dually crew cab that scales around 10,000 lbs to deal with the fifth wheel. It’s not good when the trailer is driving the truck.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
Your right but they appear to be working OK. Another reason I like having a one ton diesel dually crew cab that scales around 10,000 lbs to deal with the fifth wheel. It’s not good when the trailer is driving the truck.
Ain't it the truth!
IMHO any rv over about 10k lbs/30'+ you should have a diesel for the power, exhaust braking & ease of fueling a truck stops. Just my .02!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage