Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
2togoNebraska

Question Washington DC area

We are thinking about taking a grandchild to DC this coming summer. Any campground recommendations? We do have relatives to also visit in the Rockville, Maryland. We have a 40 foot 5th wheel.
2togoNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
jje1960

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2togoNebraska View Post
We are thinking about taking a grandchild to DC this coming summer. Any campground recommendations? We do have relatives to also visit in the Rockville, Maryland. We have a 40 foot 5th wheel.
We go to Lake Fairfax once or twice a year, also are looking at Bull Run. Lake Fairfax is a real nice, peaceful place, Electric only though, easy to dump and has open spaces for satellite reception, getting pricey for County Park though. Very popular for D.C. visits and RV's that know the location. Bull Run is not at all that much further and has full hook-ups (so I'm told) we are going to try them out early this spring.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Shelbs

You might look into Cherry Hill Park Campground in College Park, MD. We stayed there for a week this past summer and we loved it!! All or most sites have full hook-ups, there are two good sized pools and it's very convenient to the Metro to get into DC. In fact, one of the tour lines runs a shuttle from the campground and takes you into the city to meet the tour bus. I highly recommend this place!
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
kenn209

Never stayed here but I hear Pohick Bay is also nice. Friends of ours camp there and they like it.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

we stayed at Duncans Family Campground http://www.duncansfamilycampground.com/ last year. it was nice. not far from DC. our site was a little tight, ended up parking in the parking lot. but that was kinda my wifes fault. she wanted a site as close to our friends cabin as possible, and that one was very close, but it would have made a better tent site then a trailer site. there were plenty of larger trailers there. several 3 tri wheel fivers there. the roads were kinda narrow, but not to hard to navigate. the owners were nice, and were rather quick to "trim so trees" if needed for some larger trailers. they were extreamly active campground, with a very nice pool. we ended up have more fun there then we did in DC. we are planing on returning just for the fun of it. the web site isn't very good, so don't let that fool ya. i don't remember the cost, but it was worth it. we stayed for 3 nights. it was right off of a main 4 lane highway, but back far enough to not even notice it. maybe a half mile or so.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
kenn209

There is a KOA in Millersville, MD Capitol KOA

http://campgroundreviews.com/regions/Mar...lersville.html

Got some good reviews
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
smabernethy

Pohick vs Bull Run

Will not stay at Bull Run again because of the constant sound of gun fire from the shooting range right next to the campground. Pohick is very nice..... They even have some 50 amp sites

2012 Keystone Cougar 327res 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 Dually
smabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
blackty

Stayed at Duncan's 2 seasons ago. They run their own van to the metro. (subway) Although we drove ourselves the second time, very easy directions. Even drive by Fed Ex field. We also went to Redskin's preseason practice one day...Jim
blackty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
tidwood

We are just about to head that way. 2 weeks, actually. ( I am part of the race mgnt team for Long Beach Grand Prix) We are looking at 2 parks, Bar Harbor and Cherry Hill. Nice thing about Cherry Hill is the Metro bus stop at the park office!. Don't know the schedule, but at least you won't have to drive. Bar Harbor is on the bay with water front spaces, so will probably do a week there and then move to Cherry Hill. Need to store the 5er while we go up to NY and go on a cruise to Bermuda and Bar Harbor doesn't seem to offer the storage.
2005 Ford F250 4X4 crewcab
tidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
alaskalife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbs View Post
You might look into Cherry Hill Park Campground in College Park, MD. We stayed there for a week this past summer and we loved it!! All or most sites have full hook-ups, there are two good sized pools and it's very convenient to the Metro to get into DC. In fact, one of the tour lines runs a shuttle from the campground and takes you into the city to meet the tour bus. I highly recommend this place!
I stayed here as well back in 2009 I think it was. They have a bus that comes to the park and runs to the subway station.

Unless you like traffic, I would not recommend driving daily in DC. I tried it one day, no thanks. :-) I stuck with the bus and subway.

We enjoyed the park...great service and all!

http://www.cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm