Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Jgraham14813

Confused with slide

Ok guys and gals I did what you said put a charged battery in the rv to get the slide to work properly. Voltage with nothing on is 12.62 volts the lights work fine the electric jacks in the front work however when I press the slide button goes extremely slow out then after a bit it stops once I let go of the button give it a few seconds press again it works almost like I need to let the battery charge. When it gets all the way out it doesn’t have the power to go over the hump to come back in unless I get out and push it tried another motor off of another camper and no change. When pressing the button the voltage drops to 11.2 but goes right back up, battery is not new but still has power help me here please
Jgraham14813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Jgraham14813

And another question should a slide out have some flex to it or no like when it goes out the top kinda stays still for a second while the bottom starts to move then vice verse
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the battery is not working as it should. My first action would be to take the battery to AutoZone (or a similar place) and ask them to load test it. The check is free and you don't have to buy a replacement battery if bad. Once you know (for sure) the battery is/is not functional, then you can start tearing apart the wiring/slide motor system.... Like the cold propane tank and your furnace, don't start finding problems where none exist.

Start with the most likely issue. A "weak battery" in a COLD temperature simply won't (can't) provide enough power to move a 1000 pound object.....

To answer your second question, yes, the bottom usually starts moving first when putting the slide out and the top usually reaches the trailer sidewall first when retracting the slide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

A typical 12-volt lead-acid battery must be taken to approximately 14.2-14.4 VDC before it is fully charged.
What type battery are you using. (Deep cycle recommended)
With lower voltage you are raising the amp draw and tripping the auto-reset fuse protecting the motor.
If shore power is not available, try charging the battery completely and operating the slide while trailer is connected to your RUNNING tow vehicle.
A charged battery should read over 13 volts when disconnected from the charger.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Jgraham14813

Ok I will still stick with the battery for now and just get it out of my head till we start getting warmer weather. And no this newer battery is not a deep cycle just a 950 cranking amp battery . now what would you say about the flex of the slide is that normal or no
Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Jgraham14813

Ok I appreciate the help you have gave me hopefully no more issues till I get done with the overhaul of the camper. This cold weather is really starting to get old the. With a storm warning today of 10-18 inches of snow kinda hard to do anything with it
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
xrated

I never have seen whether or not this is a cable operated slide or some other. If it's a cable operated slide, I can tell you first hand, the adjustment of the cables are critical for proper operation. If it's not a cable slide, please disregard this post.....if it is, here is a link for adjusting/maintaining the slide mechanism.....

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ice-manual.pdf

It's a PDF file that you can download to your computer and that is what I did, plus printed it out and I keep a copy of it in my Toy Hauler....you never know.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Jgraham14813

I don’t know what to actually call it but I do know it does not have the cable system. It also does not have the hydraulic ram either . Under neath is a long rod that is connected to the large slide rails with the motor connected right to that long rod lol
Old 01-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You probably have a Lippert Through Frame slide system. Possibly you have a competitor's product, but Keystone used a lot of Lippert slide mechanisms during the 2010-2015 era.

You can download the manual/troubleshooting documents here:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Out-Manual.pdf

Even if this is not your "specific slide" they all work pretty much the same way, so the "theory will be very similar".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Jgraham14813

I have a 2001 keystone cougar 276 and it never came with a manual like I said it’s new to me so not sure on a lot of things at the moment

Tags
fuse, slide