Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Smitty75

Buying local vs getting “the deal”

Not trying to start a debate, but just wanted to share my thoughts on buying local vs shopping for the best price.

A little background, my wife and I have bought 5 new camper in the last 8 years, and 4 of the 5 were from price shopping regardless of location. Purchases were from RVOne, all seasons RV, and RV wholesaler. Through all the purchases we have been fortunate enough to almost break even, and we both enjoy the excitement of finding the next camper.

Fast forward to 2018, we decided with the next camper we were going local to get the whole local dealer experience. After visiting every dealer in the area, we kept coming back to the keystone and had a great experience with warranty work on a previous camper from the local dealer, so wanted to give them our business. Seemed like the best built and cleanest camper of everything in the 20-24’ range. Overall the sale went great, camper was pristine, no issues.

As of today, we are unfortunately dealing with a small leak (started another thread) but otherwise the camper is perfect. I believe I corrected the leak but still wanted to drop the camper off to get a once over from the dealer and make sure all is well. That’s why we purchased locally.

Well it’s been several weeks since we notified both keystone and the dealer of the issue, and dropped the camper off to be inspected. After having to explain to dealer that it is in fact covered (they originally said it was on me as they don’t warranty caulking), they said they would look it over, but to date I’ve had zero response.

So at this point we are questioning the staying local thought process. I’m very surprised this is an issue based on our previous experience with them, and at the same time have given them plenty of benefit of the doubt . I’m not so concerned about the time, more the lack of communication. I haven’t escalated the issue yet as I’m hoping that’s not going to become the norm, but at the same time doubt we will consider a purchase there on our next one.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Again, I’m not worried about my camper as I’m sure it will get sorted out, but more just the local vs deal. I think for us we will price shop the next camper in the future as the benefits to buying local are yet to be seen.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Smitty, how well did you vet this dealer....did you vet the dealer? Or just decide to "buy local"? Sounds like you have been lucky from everything I've ever heard and that is compounded by either a poor dealer or maybe a "lack of communication" on your recent purchase. Remember, unless you are fortunate and have a GOOD dealer, you cannot leave anything with them and expect you are going to be on the front burner all the time...you won't be. Your unit will slowly sift to the back as those more insistent than you have their units taken care of. You MUST establish that relationship with the dealership initially so that you don't just always fall to the bottom of the list.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Smitty75

I would say that I vetted them as much as you can reasonably. Mostly our decision to buy from them was based on excellent service with previous campers not purchased from them. And also we only have 4 local dealers which narrows the options.

As far as making the most noise, I’m not that guy unless it’s a pressing issue. However, I do expect sufficient customer service regardless of how much is initiated on my end. I’ve called and left no less than 10 messages in the last 2 weeks, so other than that not sure. I’ve had several documented conversations with the manufacturer who seems to be on board 100%. So at this point it’s more of a long term decision on buying local.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As I've said in many posts prior; emails, voicemails, letters etc. are useless. Until you establish THAT one on one relationship you will just sit "out there" somewhere.

You bought your other rvs from "other/price oriented" folks - "way over there" and have been lucky enough to have "never" had an issue? Seems odd and not consistent with anything I've ever read/heard anywhere else.

I'm not sure; maybe buying from low priced dealers from far away, offering nothing to you but a cheap price...hoping for a life of "non issues" in an RV works for you - and apparently it has, but, IMO you have been a very lucky buyer. I would not even consider it.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
Smitty75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As I've said in many posts prior; emails, voicemails, letters etc. are useless. Until you establish THAT one on one relationship you will just sit "out there" somewhere.

You bought your other rvs from "other/price oriented" folks - "way over there" and have been lucky enough to have "never" had an issue? Seems odd and not consistent with anything I've ever read/heard anywhere else.

I'm not sure; maybe buying from low priced dealers from far away, offering nothing to you but a cheap price...hoping for a life of "non issues" in an RV works for you - and apparently it has, but, IMO you have been a very lucky buyer. I would not even consider it.

I’ve actually had several issues with our last 2 jayco campers bought remotely, but both were repaired to complete satisfaction with our current dealer so that’s where the “that one on one” relationship came from. But to that end, I’ve quickly leaned that my camper purchased from them was no more a priority than our camper purchased from out of state. That’s the point of this post.

Like I mentioned we visited all the local dealers on several occasions (looked for over 4 months), but none stood out as “that one on one” relationship. Most of our dealers had several “new” units sitting out on the clay with rust all over the frames, completely dirty interior, and just 1 guy running around on a golf cart trying to make a month end deal of sorts. I’ve never found that to be the case with high inventory dealers. They seem to always have clean units ready to go. I agree it’s a roll of the dice for service, but I never had any issues finding repairs locally.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
I’ve actually had several issues with our last 2 jayco campers bought remotely, but both were repaired to complete satisfaction with our current dealer so that’s where the “that one on one” relationship came from. But to that end, I’ve quickly leaned that my camper purchased from them was no more a priority than our camper purchased from out of state. That’s the point of this post.

Like I mentioned we visited all the local dealers on several occasions (looked for over 4 months), but none stood out as “that one on one” relationship. Most of our dealers had several “new” units sitting out on the clay with rust all over the frames, completely dirty interior, and just 1 guy running around on a golf cart trying to make a month end deal of sorts. I’ve never found that to be the case with high inventory dealers. They seem to always have clean units ready to go. I agree it’s a roll of the dice for service, but I never had any issues finding repairs locally.

The above indicates to me that you may have a poor choice of dealers, or dealer?? But, if you have something that works for you go with it IMO.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Bisjoe

Being somewhat local is good for service and parts, but still requires research, and considering the reviews of others. Here, an hour away is as local as it gets, with several dealers in cities at about that distance from us in different directions. We spent time reading reviews and then visited and looked at the inventory at 4 places before visiting the 5th where we bought. Selection and prices were not different enough to make much difference, it was the way we were treated that sold us on this place.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

As a reminder. If you buy at one dealer, another dealer is NOT required to do any warranty work on it. And I know of two that don’t do any warranty work after the sale unless their policy changed in the last 6 months.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Steveo57

My local dealer that carried the trailer we were interested in is over an hour away. There's no way I'm dragging my rig over there and back for any little warranty issues. And if you have issues when you're on the road buying from a local dealer doesn't help you out. Like I told the salesman when we bought ours. He wouldn't see me again unless we had a serious problem in the warranty period.

In my opinion buying an RV locally because you want to be able to get warranty service is not something I would worry about.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #10
ChuckS

In my case buying local.. which I did really turned out to be buying country wide. Camping world bought my dealer out.. no previous sales or service records were kept. CW dumped em all

However... my personal visit and eye ball to eye ball talk with service manager that was kept when dealership changed names resolved that issue.

Quite frankly I don’t take my rig in unless it’s some major issue. First year rear cap developed cosmetic cracks. Towed their and a discussion with them and Keystone on “cosmetic cracks” resolved issue and it was repaired and no issues.

That was in 2015. Since then I maintain and fix everything else.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
kjohn

Boy! Nightmare stories abound. I wish you luck and hope you can get your outfit fixed.

My good friend had an ugly old toy hauler and wanted a new one. He only found one dealer about four hours away that would take it on trade. It seems that, after the purchase, the dealer forgot who my friend was. He did get a couple of issues resolved, but by another dealer.

Where we bought our last (now) 3 trailers, lies about 90 miles to the east of us, on the TransCanada Highway. So it's not a big deal to yard it down there for any fixing.

We have had good relations with them, and I will do what I can to keep it that way! Our new one is there now, waiting for some modifications. I told them I wouldn't come for it until I knew it was ready and not until a nice day in March!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

The kick here is the impression most of us who buy new for the first time have that RV buying is like auto buying. Nothing could be further from reality. I had done extensive research before I bought our first new trailer and so had no illusions about it. I think I have been lucky enough to also find a decent dealer but only time will tell on that front. I have always been a "fix it myself" kind of guy and my wife and I have lived off of the grid for the last 35 years which also leads one in the direction of self sufficiency.
I have never been in Smitty's situation where I could have afforded to purchase so many new trailers in such a short time span but from all I have gleaned from various forums and research would point me to the choice of "best deal" over "local dealer" if I was in that class of purchaser.

Only other comment would be, Smitty, I am not sure having that dealer "look over" your fix is worth the time and trouble of having your rig stored on their lot until they get to it. You are probably a more attentive and thorough technician than any one they would designate to look at it.

JMO and probably not worth even the two cents.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If a person is blessed with the ability to diagnose/ repair things on their own I say good on them. The unfortunate rub here is these things called repair vehicles are getting more and more complex. I’m in the industry and I have a hard time keeping up sometimes.

There is a new trend being talked about, where a customer will bring the unit in, it will be diagnosed, any simple repairs done or parts ordered/pre auth submitted. You take it home and get called when parts arrive. We are talking about it once we get some more qualified help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #14
Smitty75

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
The kick here is the impression most of us who buy new for the first time have that RV buying is like auto buying. Nothing could be further from reality. I had done extensive research before I bought our first new trailer and so had no illusions about it. I think I have been lucky enough to also find a decent dealer but only time will tell on that front. I have always been a "fix it myself" kind of guy and my wife and I have lived off of the grid for the last 35 years which also leads one in the direction of self sufficiency.
I have never been in Smitty's situation where I could have afforded to purchase so many new trailers in such a short time span but from all I have gleaned from various forums and research would point me to the choice of "best deal" over "local dealer" if I was in that class of purchaser.

Only other comment would be, Smitty, I am not sure having that dealer "look over" your fix is worth the time and trouble of having your rig stored on their lot until they get to it. You are probably a more attentive and thorough technician than any one they would designate to look at it.

JMO and probably not worth even the two cents.

This is some great information and I completely agree. I’m also a DIY person on just about everything, so was more For documentation in the event that something happens as a result down the road.

And regarding the new purchases, we really only had to save up for the first camper, since then we’ve been fortunate to just about break even when it comes time to sell. I always sell locally, and campers in our area are on high depending which brings a little more on the sale. However that’s getting harder to do so we intend to hold on to this one for a while unless something comes up. I buy fix up and sell a lot of toys (boats, motorcycles, etc), so I enjoy the buying and selling process.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I've seen a tremendous "movement" toward adding "gee whiz technology" to travel trailers/fifth wheels in the past 2 or 3 years. My 2014 Cougar is "antiquated" compared to a current 2019 model. Between "smart phone interfaces", automatic leveling systems, integrated HVAC systems, solar systems, entertainment/infotainment systems and the move toward "miniature home appliances" rather than the traditional RV appliances has made today's RV significantly different and more complex than just 5 years ago.

When electronics replace manual switches and automated control systems replace hard wire installations or manually operated functions, things can (and do) go wrong more often.

What "dismays" me is the "bling" has overpowered functionality. We've got "smart control systems" to control TV's and manage lighting but the industry has completely bypassed things like electronic sway control, improved electric braking and skid control and only this year has begun installing "slightly improved tire capacity"....

I know the industry is installing what they "think" customers want, but they are also completely (so it seems) ignoring their responsibility to advance towing safety at the expense of putting a smile on a new buyer's face when the salesman unlocks and opens the entry the door with a remote control key fob and the interior lights come on automatically to reveal stainless appliances that "beep" and send you the internal temperature of the refrigerator in a "status report" viewed on your smart phone. .

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If a person is blessed with the ability to diagnose/ repair things on their own I say good on them. The unfortunate rub here is these things called repair vehicles are getting more and more complex. I’m in the industry and I have a hard time keeping up sometimes.

There is a new trend being talked about, where a customer will bring the unit in, it will be diagnosed, any simple repairs done or parts ordered/pre auth submitted. You take it home and get called when parts arrive. We are talking about it once we get some more qualified help.

This is the way it should be IMO and the way it has been for me.

The first 3 issues I had with my trailer I didn't even take it in; just sent pictures in, gave the explanation, they ordered parts and called me when they were in. Went in and picked it up in 2-3 days...at my convenience.

When we had the blowout in 2016 I called my dealer from the location of the blowout to describe the damage and that we had just left to go to FL. His response? "Can you bring it to me right now"? I could not since we were loaded and I wanted a complete new set of tires. Took it home, unloaded, called the dealer after about 3 days (also took the time to locate the tires and make arrangements to have them). I took it in that afternoon. The next morning he called and said the adjuster was coming about lunchtime. I left to meet them (about 60 miles) but when I got there the adjuster had been there and gone leaving a check for 7k with them for me to cosign. SM said he thought he had enough stuff on hand to get me on the road so he kept it for about 3-4 days. Replaced the lower slide seal, gas line to fridge and stove, repaired fender well and replaced all the flooring/darco and installed a new set of tires (w/spare). At the end of the timeframe listed he called and said get ready to go; they were done until I could get back - the underbelly had not arrived. I told him the damage wasn't bad enough to wait (underbelly) so would pick up the next day. I did. When I arrived he told me they had done a leak down test on the propane system and it failed. They replaced the regulator...no charge.

I appreciate that kind of service; and expect it. It's unfortunate it's not that way for everyone - I wish it was.