Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
John F

Ladder

I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
notanlines

I’m betting that there is no backing for this unit in that it isnt stock nor is it offered as an option.
And, to be very blunt, Keystone already sold a unit to uou. They don’t WANT to talk to you. Think about it. What do they have to gain? Harsh but true.

On edit: I didn't see ladders on dealers pictures, but when I went to Keystone's website the RV's did offer ladders.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
John F

There is a backing according to there brochure. Well, one of the most important parts of them growing a business is great customer service. Common sense on their part.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The website does indicate that all the Sprinter Campfire trailers are "backed for rear ladder" as a standard feature. The website does not indicate where the ladder backing is located and I can't find a photo of a 29BHS with a ladder installed, so I have no idea where the backing might be. Typically Keystone Customer Service will not divulge that kind of information to customers. Don't ask me why, I can't answer that, but they will usually give the dealership service department the necessary information for them to install the ladder properly. You may need to "lean on the service manager" and use your leverage of having bought and paid for the ladder by demanding (politely and firmly) that he provide you with the instructions or install the ladder.....

This is a "more flies with honey than with vinegar" situation, but the dealer really should step up to the plate and get you the info.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
John F

Thanks!. I verified there is a backing but am trying to get exact location so it doesn’t get screwed up. Asked the dealer but has not gotten it in 2 weeks. I bought it out of state for the great deal.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe you can get a local dealer to go to bat for you??? Some will, some may tell you to "take a hike"... You won't know until you ask.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thanks!. I verified there is a backing but am trying to get exact location so it doesn’t get screwed up. Asked the dealer but has not gotten it in 2 weeks. I bought it out of state for the great deal.
"I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?"

You've made a mistake many make; buying "there" and expecting the dealership "here" to take care of you. You need to know who it is you buy from or take your chances. RV manufacturers/dealers are nothing like car dealerships. Trying to go "on the cheap", read best deal somewhere far away, can sometimes really bite you when it comes to warranty or maintenance.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If you factory ordered a unit with a ladder and it showed up without one installed, you should have refused the unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you factory ordered a unit with a ladder and it showed up without one installed, you should have refused the unit.

+1 That was your leverage. Refuse to take delivery without the ladder installed or the instructions for installation.
Good Luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
John F

Actually the dealer there has a network around the country to handle issues and all warranty. We will see how good it is
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #11
John F

Keystone will no longer install ladders for liability reasons. The dealer said they would install it. Then the service department found out that they could not install it for insurance reasons. All these lawsuits ruin it for others.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Ladder

That makes no sense. If a ladder is an option you can choose at time of order, then the factory should install. I think someone forgot to check the box for the ladder and is trying to cover their you know what. I would ask for documentation from Keystone that they won’t install ladders on units that include them as standard or optional equipment.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Keystone will no longer install ladders for liability reasons. The dealer said they would install it. Then the service department found out that they could not install it for insurance reasons. All these lawsuits ruin it for others.

You are being led down the "primrose" path. The comments above are just "out there". IMO...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If you go to the Keystone website and look at the exterior photos of the Cougar, Laredo and Outback travel trailer lines, you'll see that all of them are shipped from the factory with rear roof ladders installed. Whoever told you that line really needs to be held accountable for the garbage they're telling new owners.
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...f-ton/gallery/
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...aredo/gallery/
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...tback/gallery/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #15
WiscTraveler

I have the almost exact same unit but a 29FWRL model with no ladder and have been thinking about adding a ladder also. Always carried a lightweight aluminum ladder that does the job but it does take up room. I see Trekwood has the ladder. Will wait and see what becomes of your ladder install and possibly a picture when you do get it done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscTraveler View Post
I have the almost exact same unit but a 29FWRL model with no ladder and have been thinking about adding a ladder also. Always carried a lightweight aluminum ladder that does the job but it does take up room. I see Trekwood has the ladder. Will wait and see what becomes of your ladder install and possibly a picture when you do get it done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
In my opinion you're far better off carrying your portable ladder than any rv ladder. They are flimsy & lightweight, especially if you have as healthy of girth as I do. If you're adding the the ladder to tie up your bicycles or or other items I would highly recommend not doing that either, the ladders are designed for lightweight individuals to climb & not a cargo rack.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^^^ I agree !!!

Additionally, if you install a ladder, you'll be adding at least 4 holes to the TPO roof membrane, holes that are going to be 'jiggled" every time you climb the ladder. Roof ladders, while they can be "problem free" for some people, are a major means of "roof rot" for others. I wouldn't put any holes in my roof that weren't necessary. If you already have a ladder and it's working, I'd suspect a new ladder "wouldn't be necessary".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^I agree with the above 2 posts. Forget adding the ladder to your trailer and use the aluminum one you have. I have a ladder on my trailer but will not use it; it causes far more problems than any benefit that I have found. I use my folding aluminum ladder exclusively and continually tighten all the mounting screws on the built in ladder and reseal the dicor on the top frequently - because they just get loose from travel. The dealership seems to always insist on using the ladder when I have roof maintenance done and it always, without exception, comes back either bent or loose. And as Danny mentioned, I wouldn't think about adding one so that I could hang stuff on it; problematic at best IMO.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #19
fjr vfr

I have a ladder on my Laredo 5th wheel. I use it for carrying my 6 ft aluminum step ladder. Works great.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:46 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

I have an extending ladder and find the ladder mounted on the rear of my Cougar a perfect place to put the extending ladder over the top of it. The extending ladder is stabilized perfectly. The extending ladder is braced and doesn't move when I go up the ladder and the handholds on the roof on the RV ladder are handy for actually getting on the roof. The RV ladder is too narrow and flimsy to give me confidence on its own.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder