Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
popsshopga

Question Tankless Water Heater Sale

I'm sure there are other threads on this one but I see that there is a sale going on and just wanted to update my knowledge base.
Good, Bad or Just the same? Venting problems? Installation problems? Size for 2017 36' Springdale TT?
Here is the url for the sale: https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...18_6925_Direct

Happy Camping
fred
popsshopga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Badbart56

Thought about going with one of these myself. Chuckster, what are your thoughts?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsshopga View Post
Size for 2017 36' Springdale TT?
Here is the url for the sale: https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...18_6925_Direct

Happy Camping
fred
The size of your trailer has nothing to do with hot water usage. It is the size of your family and their hot water usage habits.

A big consideration with tankless heaters is the temperature of the incoming water. Look into the temperature rise that the unit can supply and see if it is adequate for your usage especially if you will be camping in cooler climates.
The first unit on that sale page (electric only) clearly states only for use with warmer water input as in Caribbean. The others I did not see any mention of this but should state on manufacturers webpage.

Let us know what you decide as I am sure there are other members interested.
JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

My thoughts? If your replacing a faulty WH then yeah, just to do it? Not so much. I personally don’t care for the Girard as it seems like that is the brand I have to work on most for issues. Truma is a bit pricy but IMO the way to go. My son just installed a Suburban on demand in his fiver but it’s only been a month. Too early to say much.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
OregonDuck

I've been looking at getting one too. I've heard mixed reviews, with one person telling me they don't work at all. VERY interested in hearing from anyone that has one.

Fair to say, DW would spend any amount to have a long shower in our rig. I just want to be sure I don't spend that kind of coin in hopes of hot water, and instead get rained on by snake oil
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
SummitPond

I have a unit specifically designed for house use; it runs 60A on each leg. We've had it for 15+ years and are quite happy with it. I don't know anything about these smaller units, but they are probably similar to those you find in some rest stop bathrooms to provide quick hot water to faucets.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, tankless water heater, water heater