Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Lkha

Camera woes

Want to say I have tried being the nice one but how can a company sell a product they won't remotely stand behind. Since day one the Rear View /toy box camera has not worked. The system is not strong enough for the 44ft model (this per camera distributor ) and this has been proven through three attempts and then today get told not our fault it don't work.
We have the 403 fuzion with chrome and monster packages bought new and have been trying to resolve this problem since day one.
4th; 1999 35' Windsong by Forest River
Current;2015 fuzion 403 Chrome
15 Tri Glide in the box

RET US ARMY
PRG RIDE CAPTAIN
Lkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I understand your frustration. The question I have is, what brand of camera system? Are you expecting Keystone or the manufacturer of the camera system to address your concerns?

I'm not here to defend anyone, but a little more info may help us help you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Lkha

Camera is a BOYO and keystone needs to stand behind the overall product they chose the accessories they install in new units
15 Tri Glide in the box

RET US ARMY
PRG RIDE CAPTAIN
Old 08-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkha View Post
Camera is a BOYO and keystone needs to stand behind the overall product they chose the accessories they install in new units
I agree with you, Keystone RV Company needs to stand behind the overall product and the accessories they install. With that said, please read the disclaimer at the bottom of every forum webpage. This is a private internet forum that is NOT associated with Keystone RV Company. Your beef is with them, not the membership of this forum. We will be very happy to offer advice, help you with troubleshooting and share our experiences with the RV's that we own. But, we have no influence with Keystone RV Company and to the best of my knowledge, they don't monitor posts here and none of the factory customer service representatives are members of this forum.

I can understand your frustration, but "strongarming" this forum won't help you resolve your issues with Keystone RV Company. They ain't us and we ain't them !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Richard Noble

JRTJH - Help me understand what you wrote. I have read Lkha's input three times and I do not see where they are attaching anyone here or the site itself. Also, what is a "Super Moderator"?
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Lkha

Sorry to step on anyone's toes been a member for awhile all along thought keystone was involved with site. No beef with any members here as this is a very informative place and that is what I was doing informing others to the lack of service provided by the manufacturer.
15 Tri Glide in the box

RET US ARMY
PRG RIDE CAPTAIN
Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If you read through this forum about various "issues" with new trailers you will find that if it's not fixed right away by your dealer you enter what I call "the dance" between you, the dealer and Keystone. The dealer is probably the most important component followed by yourself. Keystone will generally (in my experience - and I've had a lot) step up if the situation, as presented to them by the dealer, appears to be an obvious defect.

I've dealt with Keystone directly and through the dealer. I will say without a doubt that the dialogue between the service manager at my dealership and Keystone is far more productive than my dissertations to them.

Make sure you are working through the management level at your dealership. Review EXACTLY what they are sending to Keystone to get your issue resolved. I've had the experience that when dealing with a service advisor, the issue was not explained anything like it was supposed to be and Keystone denied the repairs. After escalating it within the dealership and Keystone, and the facts correctly explained, the repairs were made.

If the camera doesn't work, and has never worked, that falls on the dealership to me. You should have covered that in the PDI but it was apparently missed. The dealership should have caught it but it was apparently missed there as well. Get in the middle of the dealership and demand it be fixed - let them work it out with Keystone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
MattHelm21

I have the BOYO VTC700RQ-2. While I have doubts this will help the OP, I wanted to revive this old thread as others have this system as well. This is the system with two wireless camera's, one in the garage, and one above the ramp door with a single monitor which gets suctioned to the windshield over the truck's dash.

Since day one, I have had only intermittent connectivity with this system when traveling down the road which is when I wanted to be able to use it. Drop outs were as frequent as the active camera feed was and this from either camera. When signal was lost for long enough, the monitor seemed to have logic telling it to reboot to try and restore camera connectivity which would function for about 30 seconds and then drop out again.

This was not something I put high on my list of projects as my last trailer had no backup camera for the first 10 years of existence leaving me only 4 years with a wireless system I installed myself. I finally decided to put this up on my list of priorities when DW reminded me how nice it was for her when we had it on a long trip(only short trips so far in the new rig). Operating from the assumption that this was a signal strength issue due to distance, interference caused by the trailer structure, or some combination of both, I noticed in the manual mention of 2 meter antenna which would be installed on the monitor and the camera to improve/boost the signal/reception. I attempted to make contact with BOYO but was unable to and searches online revealed no matching antenna available from them. One search did produce a result and that was 4UCAM. They offer a custom wireless camera system for RV's and target Toy Hauler's(they picture a Fuzion on their web site) with a 2 meter antenna upgrade option. On the chance that these would be compatible with the BOYO system, I ordered two. They arrived promptly and are magnetically mounted WiFi size antenna.

I mounted one on the truck's roof, running the cable down the passenger side A pillar to the monitor. I was pleasantly surprised to find that below the camera and above the ramp door on the trailer is a strip of painted steel. I mounted the camera antenna here with the antenna pointed horizontally to the passenger side. There was no real reason for this position other than it seemed cleaner. Since I only purchased the two antenna, I decided to disable the garage camera in the monitor. I've taken two trips with this configuration and the improvement is night and day. No drop outs at all and no monitor reboots. Also, the frame rate is much improved most likely due to the improved signal strength. I've ordered an additional antenna for the garage and a length of antenna cable to let me route the truck cable through the rear passenger door to the door sill plates and up to the dash and monitor. If you are interested, the part number for these antenna on their web site is 9901T
Old 09-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
twhiteside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
I have the BOYO VTC700RQ-2. While I have doubts this will help the OP, I wanted to revive this old thread as others have this system as well. This is the system with two wireless camera's, one in the garage, and one above the ramp door with a single monitor which gets suctioned to the windshield over the truck's dash.

Since day one, I have had only intermittent connectivity with this system when traveling down the road which is when I wanted to be able to use it. Drop outs were as frequent as the active camera feed was and this from either camera. When signal was lost for long enough, the monitor seemed to have logic telling it to reboot to try and restore camera connectivity which would function for about 30 seconds and then drop out again.

This was not something I put high on my list of projects as my last trailer had no backup camera for the first 10 years of existence leaving me only 4 years with a wireless system I installed myself. I finally decided to put this up on my list of priorities when DW reminded me how nice it was for her when we had it on a long trip(only short trips so far in the new rig). Operating from the assumption that this was a signal strength issue due to distance, interference caused by the trailer structure, or some combination of both, I noticed in the manual mention of 2 meter antenna which would be installed on the monitor and the camera to improve/boost the signal/reception. I attempted to make contact with BOYO but was unable to and searches online revealed no matching antenna available from them. One search did produce a result and that was 4UCAM. They offer a custom wireless camera system for RV's and target Toy Hauler's(they picture a Fuzion on their web site) with a 2 meter antenna upgrade option. On the chance that these would be compatible with the BOYO system, I ordered two. They arrived promptly and are magnetically mounted WiFi size antenna.

I mounted one on the truck's roof, running the cable down the passenger side A pillar to the monitor. I was pleasantly surprised to find that below the camera and above the ramp door on the trailer is a strip of painted steel. I mounted the camera antenna here with the antenna pointed horizontally to the passenger side. There was no real reason for this position other than it seemed cleaner. Since I only purchased the two antenna, I decided to disable the garage camera in the monitor. I've taken two trips with this configuration and the improvement is night and day. No drop outs at all and no monitor reboots. Also, the frame rate is much improved most likely due to the improved signal strength. I've ordered an additional antenna for the garage and a length of antenna cable to let me route the truck cable through the rear passenger door to the door sill plates and up to the dash and monitor. If you are interested, the part number for these antenna on their web site is 9901T
MattHelm21 - Just ordered and received the antennas you referenced, but have not yet been able to test. The magnets on the antennas don’t seem very strong? Did you have any issue with them staying in place?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
MattHelm21

I had no problem with the antenna staying in place. The one mounted on the truck has never budged but I don’t leave it up there when not towing. It lives in the under seat storage in the back of the truck at other times. The one on the steel strip above the ramp door came off once when Blue Beacon was washing the trailer but just visually check it when doing a walk around before each trip.

The one thing I have been unable to resolve is a cannot get both the garage and outside camera’s to operate at the same time. I disable the garage camera in the settings in the monitor and then the outside camera operates with only occasional drop outs due to passing interference.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
MattHelm21

Here are some pictures of my mount. Moving the camera out and eliminiting one of the mounting screws allowed me to angle it up far enough that it can function as a rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000AE10-2564-4C7C-AA03-2FBC943537F0.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	18487   Click image for larger version

Name:	0EB1C0FF-8621-4060-9EAE-2EF33935DCBA.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	18488